Around the League: Week 18 2/12-2/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Around the League: Week 18 2/12-2/18

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:I'd put the Nets and Knicks in no man's land too. Would have to think more about what MEM, CHI and SAC are.

I thought about the Knicks because record wise they are in no man's land and it's probably too late for them to really tank, but without Porzingis they are really bad and should play on a similar level to the other tankers. So as far as comparing schedules going forward I thought they deserved to be lumped with the tankers.

Nets were tough too because they have no actual incentive to tank, but they're a bad enough team that I think they'll stay in this group record wise, until teams start blatantly tanking and sitting healthy players.

It was hard to make the distinction between playoff hopefuls and playoff locks as well. There really isn't any big jumps/dropoffs anywhere up the standings until you get to the warriors, raptors, tickets, Celtics group.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:I'd put the Nets and Knicks in no man's land too. Would have to think more about what MEM, CHI and SAC are.

I thought about the Knicks because record wise they are in no man's land and it's probably too late for them to really tank, but without Porzingis they are really bad and should play on a similar level to the other tankers. So as far as comparing schedules going forward I thought they deserved to be lumped with the tankers.

Nets were tough too because they have no actual incentive to tank, but they're a bad enough team that I think they'll stay in this group record wise, until teams start blatantly tanking and sitting healthy players.

It was hard to make the distinction between playoff hopefuls and playoff locks as well. There really isn't any big jumps/dropoffs anywhere up the standings until you get to the warriors, raptors, tickets, Celtics group.
After Porzingis' injury I would say the Knicks are tankers had they traded the likes of Courtney Lee, KOQ or even Beasley. As it is, I believe they remain where they were before.

The Nets are actually trying to win every game. Obviously that's because they don't have their pick, but still not tanking. It's just that they are pretty poor overall and not much of what they have thrown at the wall has really sticked, although it has been way uglier for them.

I refuse to call the Wizards a lock (but they probably are).

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:

For the purposes of strength of schedule, I would agree with your placement of the Nets and Knicks. Doesn't matter if they are actively tanking or not, they should be lumped with the rest of the opponents that would be deemed "G-league worthy."

Split T

Post by Split T »

1tinsoldier wrote:excellent Split

looks like suns, hawks, knicks with a slight edge, based on less tanker games (1 tanker comes out with a W)
playoff lock games are 2nd worst, but only if they're not vying for playoff position or are coached by Popovich
playoff hopeful are obviously ideal, and the Grizz have a dozen of those
I think Hawks will be tough to out tank. They have an equally tough schedule and I think have a worse roster.

Mavs have a slightly easier schedule but I think we have more potential to be better down the stretch.

I think magic will finish with a better record. They've got a lot of games against fellow tankers and should get Vucevic and Gordon back after the break.

Grizzlies and Kings are bad and have tough schedules, both have high tanking potential as they have some vets playing key roles that could get shut down, especially the grizzlies with Evans and Gasol.

Nets have a slight lead on us, have no incentive to tank and have a fair amount of winnable games. I think they win more than us.

Bulls have a decent lead already, have a decent roster and a fairly easy schedule. They are ahead of us too in wins.

Knicks will be bad but they already have 23 wins. Probably have to go winless to get into top 5 territory.

I think Hawks end up with the worst record, bit I think 2-5 could finish in any order. (Suns, grizzlies, Kings, Mavs)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Split T wrote:

After Porzingis' injury I would say the Knicks are tankers had they traded the likes of Courtney Lee, KOQ or even B*****y. As it is, I believe they remain where they were before.

The Nets are actually trying to win every game. Obviously that's because they don't have their pick, but still not tanking. It's just that they are pretty poor overall and not much of what they have thrown at the wall has really sticked, although it has been way uglier for them.

I refuse to call the Wizards a lock (but they probably are).
Wizards were the last team to make my lock list. My original lock list included pacers and bucks, but I decided to take them off.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Check this out. Federal probe leads to a big hoops corruption case that will affect large programs, players, HoF coaches, etc.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-colleg ... 17174.html

carey

Post by carey »

How Miami Heat guard Goran Dragic went from national hero to first-time All-Star: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2244 ... a-all-star
"That first year that I struggled, I had thoughts to go back to Europe," Dragic told ESPN during Eurobasket in Helsinki this past summer. "I was alone. I even cried in my room talking to my dad. 'They don't give me a chance. This is not for me' ... If I would have been in a different situation with a different team, probably I would be back in Europe."
So the goodwill the Suns built with Goran evaporated rather quickly all things considered.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

So what's everyone's thoughts on Emeka Okafor coming out of retirement to play in New Orleans? He was out of the league for 5 years with a herniated disk in his neck. He's 35 and in 3 games is averaging 5 pts & 5 rebs. I'm rooting for the guy.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Post by Cap »

carey wrote:How Miami Heat guard Goran Dragic went from national hero to first-time All-Star: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2244 ... a-all-star
"That first year that I struggled, I had thoughts to go back to Europe," Dragic told ESPN during Eurobasket in Helsinki this past summer. "I was alone. I even cried in my room talking to my dad. 'They don't give me a chance. This is not for me' ... If I would have been in a different situation with a different team, probably I would be back in Europe."
So the goodwill the Suns built with Goran evaporated rather quickly all things considered.
When we traded him with a first-round pick for two months of Aaron Brooks. Way to go, Blabby.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

carey wrote:So what's everyone's thoughts on Emeka Okafor coming out of retirement to play in New Orleans? He was out of the league for 5 years with a herniated disk in his neck. He's 35 and in 3 games is averaging 5 pts & 5 rebs. I'm rooting for the guy.
I hope he will Emeka big impact there. I'm Okafor it!

carey

Post by carey »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
carey wrote:So what's everyone's thoughts on Emeka Okafor coming out of retirement to play in New Orleans? He was out of the league for 5 years with a herniated disk in his neck. He's 35 and in 3 games is averaging 5 pts & 5 rebs. I'm rooting for the guy.
I hope he will Emeka big impact there. I'm Okafor it!
3/10. Not your best work. :lol:
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Ah, but as a Dad joke...?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:Wizards were the last team to make my lock list. My original lock list included pacers and bucks, but I decided to take them off.
Good call. Overall a very solid layout.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Cap wrote:
carey wrote:How Miami Heat guard Goran Dragic went from national hero to first-time All-Star: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2244 ... a-all-star
When we traded him with a first-round pick for two months of Aaron Brooks. Way to go, Blabby.
One of those trades you can't explain from any angle. Like Denver attaching a 1stR to Nurkic to acquire Mason Plumlee.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Watching the Rising Stars Challenge last night I wasn't even surprised at the result. Still that trend of American kids looking for dunks/alleys with scorers while the World team had much more shooters and were just raining 3's

The other thing was I found myself saying although Josh struggled in November n December , if he still shouldn't have been there. Fox replaced Lonzo and it can be argued that Fox hasn't been better but I'm actually happy because I'm 100% sure Josh took note and it will be yet another thing he uses as motivation.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:I split the NBA into 4 groups:

The Tankers(9 teams): Suns, Hawks, Mavs, Magic, Kings, Grizzlies, Nets, Bulls, Knicks

No Man's land(2 teams): Lakers, Hornets

Playoff hopefuls (11 teams): Pistons, Jazz, Heat, Clippers, Pelicans, Nuggets, 76ers, Blazers, Thunder, Pacers, Bucks

Playoff locks (8 teams): Wizards, Timberwolves, Spurs, Cavs, Celtics, Raptors, Warriors, Rockets

Here's how are fellow tankers post all star break schedule breaks down:

Suns: 5 against fellow tankers, 1 no man's land game, 10 against playoff hopefuls, and 7 against playoff locks.

Hawks: 4 against fellow tankers, 2 no man's land games, 10 against playoff hopefuls, and 7 against playoff locks.

Mavs: 7 against fellow tankers, 3 no man's land games, 10 against playoff hopefuls, and 4 against playoff locks.

Magic: 9 against fellow tankers, 2 no man's land games, 8 against playoff hopefuls, and 6 against playoff locks.

Kings: 7 against fellow tankers, 2 no man's land games, 10 against playoff hopefuls, and 6 against playoff locks.

Grizzlies: 7 against fellow tankers, 2 no man's land games, 12 against playoff hopefuls, and 5 against playoff locks.

Nets: 7 against fellow tankers, 3 no man's land games, 7 against playoff hopefuls, and 6 against playoff locks.

Bulls: 8 against fellow tankers, 2 no man's land games, 8 against playoff hopefuls, and 6 against playoff locks.

Knicks: 5 against fellow tankers, 2 no man's land games, 9 against playoff hopefuls, and 7 against playoff locks.

This is a good table to keep track of. Tomorrow's game against Memphis is so important.

Split T

Post by Split T »

So there is at least 30 wins for the tankers because of playing other tankers. So roughly 3 wins per team. I'll be paying attention to wins against teams outside of the tanking group. Dallas so far has the only one since that post.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

It's wins against fellow tankers that are most important imo..worth double in the standings, either up or down.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Agreed. It’s much worse for us to beat the Grizzlies and then turn around and lose to the Warriors than the other way around. If the Suns can somehow find a way to lose the majority of games against fellow tankers, that would go a long way.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I understand the tanking talk, but I honestly hate it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass