Remainder of Season wish list

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Danimal

Remainder of Season wish list

Post by Danimal »

With the suns in tank mode, I thought I would start this thread to keep the peace and sanity around here.

So go nuts!

Things for me which I will probably add to over time:
- competitive loses
- Chandler put on ice. No much Daniels either. We know what we have in him.
- see what we have in reed and peters. Give them some actual rotation minutes.
- run more plays suited for this team not former trailblazer crap
- hope to see continued improvement in Jacksons shot
- actually try to develop Chris's and Bender outside of being the next Channing frye. More pnr for Chriss less 3's. Get him attacking the hoop more. Shoot jump shots not 3s. His form is much better on the jumper. Keep getting Bender more invovled so he doesn't ghost full games.
- maybe try and salvage the relationship with Len. So even if he doesn't leave we don't get another PR kick to the nuts.

1tinsoldier

Re: Remainder of Season wish list

Post by 1tinsoldier »

the problem with putting Chandler on ice is they'd have to play Len more and they've been conservative with him because they either don't think he'll stay or think he might and they'd like to pay less.

but, indeed, play the hell out of the player's we need to evaluate whether they deserve the minutes or not.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I listened to the AZSports "mid-season" special and Eddie House had a good point that Chriss has nice touch around the basket and the Suns should start running some plays for him in that range. Enough of the 3 point scatter shots!
"Be Legendary."

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

What I want out of the last 23 games of the season:

1. Let's see what sort of chemistry Elfrid Payton, Alan Williams, and Booker, and TJ Warren have together. Williams, Booker, and TJ are our core for the next two years. If Payton works well with them, signing him to a long term deal that looks like TJ's should be a priority.

2. More ping pong balls. This is the last year before the new draft rules kick in.

3. I want more time for Alex Len to gauge his actual worth this summer. I doubt he will re-sign here, but then again, there aren't many teams with cap room this summer. Suns could be in a great place to retain Payton and Len at bargain basement prices (and Goodness, I sure hope the Suns realize this and don't bid against themselves)

4. Bender and Chriss have had their chances. They both have been awful this years. If Alan Williams gets a lot of their minutes, I'm fine with it. On top of that, Williams strikes me as a mature personality type. He's one of those people you want to keep around.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Wormwood wrote: 3. I want more time for Alex Len to gauge his actual worth this summer. I doubt he will re-sign here, but then again, there aren't many teams with cap room this summer. Suns could be in a great place to retain Payton and Len at bargain basement prices (and Goodness, I sure hope the Suns realize this and don't bid against themselves)
I'm hoping to run with Ayton and Williams at center next year. And we might as well hold on to Chandler, who's an expiring contract in 2019. So if things go the way I'm hoping, there's no room for Len.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

I wonder what it would take to salary dump Brandon Knight next year? Getting rid of his contract should be a top priority.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Wormwood wrote:What I want out of the last 23 games of the season:

1. Let's see what sort of chemistry Elfrid Payton, Alan Williams, and Booker, and TJ Warren have together. Williams, Booker, and TJ are our core for the next two years. If Payton works well with them, signing him to a long term deal that looks like TJ's should be a priority.

2. More ping pong balls. This is the last year before the new draft rules kick in.

3. I want more time for Alex Len to gauge his actual worth this summer. I doubt he will re-sign here, but then again, there aren't many teams with cap room this summer. Suns could be in a great place to retain Payton and Len at bargain basement prices (and Goodness, I sure hope the Suns realize this and don't bid against themselves)

4. Bender and Chriss have had their chances. They both have been awful this years. If Alan Williams gets a lot of their minutes, I'm fine with it. On top of that, Williams strikes me as a mature personality type. He's one of those people you want to keep around.
There are no indications Williams is close to game ready.

It's also silly to say "Bender and Chriss have had their chances." They should be maximized every second for the rest of the season, even over Williams, who is 25 and not on a guaranteed deal next season.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Shabazz wrote:

It's also silly to say "Bender and Chriss have had their chances." They should be maximized every second for the rest of the season, even over Williams, who is 25 and not on a guaranteed deal next season.
The fact that we have a decision to make about Williams seems to me all the more reason to play him.

carey

Post by carey »

Sauce isn't even working out with the team yet. Still probably a month away from that.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

EDC

Post by EDC »

I really can't wait for Williams to be back just so this love fest can come to an end. :)

Worst possible outcome would be he doesn't make it back this year and gets cut or traded. Then we would get to listen to the what ifs forever.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Cap wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

The fact that we have a decision to make about Williams seems to me all the more reason to play him.
I think the option in his contract is all about what else is out there as opposed to what he's worth to us. Meaning, if we have a big FA move planned and we need the additional cap space, we won't guarantee his contract. If we strike out in the free agent and trade markets, we will. He's only $6M annually and not guaranteed for the following season. It's almost a no-brainer to keep him if we have the space.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Shabazz wrote:
Cap wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

I think the option in his contract is all about what else is out there as opposed to what he's worth to us. Meaning, if we have a big FA move planned and we need the additional cap space, we won't guarantee his contract. If we strike out in the free agent and trade markets, we will. He's only $6M annually and not guaranteed for the following season. It's almost a no-brainer to keep him if we have the space.
OK, I have to admit that makes sense.

I still want to see him play.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

If Williams doesn't play for us this season, does insurance pay for his contract? Isn't it the same deal with Knight?

Also, that represents $20 million in Sarver's pocket.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Wormwood wrote:If Williams doesn't play for us this season, does insurance pay for his contract? Isn't it the same deal with Knight?

Also, that represents $20 million in Sarver's pocket.
http://www.espn.com/blog/chicago/bulls/ ... roses-bill
According to the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the insurance policy kicks in after a 41-game deductible. When that is reached, the team gets back 80 percent of the remaining base salary.
We’ve already covered the 41-game deductible, so from now on Sarver gets back 80 cents on the dollar for every game Sauce misses.

Good lord, our top five salaries are Monroe, Knight, Chandler, Dudley and Williams. One cut, two hurt, two riding pine.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Superbone wrote:I listened to the AZSports "mid-season" special and Eddie House had a good point that Chriss has nice touch around the basket and the Suns should start running some plays for him in that range. Enough of the 3 point scatter shots!
I saw the ways the cavs use Nance jr at the 4/5. I think we should look at it the same way at least for now.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

My wish list for the rest of the season:
- no major injuries to key players (although a couple of strategically placed minor "injuries" for games against fellow cellar dwellers would be ok)
- Bender to continue his upward trajectory from the past month. It's not going to be a straight line graph, but he is definitely trending upwards. More please.
- For the light bulb to switch on for Chriss. He's got the physical tools and has shown bits and pieces, but just give us a hint that you are starting to get how to actually play basketball. Maybe force-feeding him in the post a bit, as others have suggested, is an ok idea.
- Jackson to keep showing us a bit more week by week. Like Bender, it won't be all up, all the time but he's heading in the right direction. Love his fearlessness, but if he'd learn to dish a bit on his drives as well, then fantastic.
- No wins on the back of flukey shooting nights from players who are not part of our core/future.
- Most of all, good luck (or even just no bad luck) in the draft lottery, and the addition of a franchise level talent in the draft.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Gladiator wrote:My wish list for the rest of the season:
- Bender to continue his upward trajectory from the past month. It's not going to be a straight line graph, but he is definitely trending upwards. More please.
“Upward trajectory from the past month” is kind of misleading, I think.

It’s true the his February averages are good. We have played seven games this month, and he put up really good numbers in three of them, including the first two. But in context, those averages are considerably less exciting:

Code: Select all

Date                  Opp GS    MP FG FGA  FG% 3P 3PA   3P% FT FTA   FT% TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS GmSc +/-
2018-01-14    IND L (-23)  1 30:18  0   7 .000  0   6  .000  0         0   5   0   0   0   3  2   0 -6.8 -21
2018-01-16    POR  L (-7)  1 32:46  2   4 .500  2   3  .667  0         0   8   1   0   0   2  0   6  5.1 -14
2018-01-19    DEN  W (+8)  1 28:30  1   3 .333  1   2  .500  0         0   8   3   0   1   1  4   3  3.9  +1
2018-01-22    MIL  L (-4)  1 28:12  3   4 .750  1   1 1.000  0         0   3   2   0   0   2  1   7  5.3 -10
2018-01-24    IND L (-15)  1 23:07  0   3 .000  0   3  .000  0         0   4   3   0   0   0  3   0  0.0  -9
2018-01-26    NYK L (-22)  0 17:52  0   1 .000  0   1  .000  0         0   4   0   0   1   2  4   0 -2.4  +5
2018-01-28    HOU L (-11)  0 24:59  2   6 .333  1   4  .250  0         0   4   0   2   0   2  4   5  1.2  -6
2018-01-29    MEM L (-11)  1 20:19  0   2 .000  0         0  0         0   2   1   1   0   3  2   0 -2.9 -11
2018-01-31    DAL W (+14)  0 20:42  2   5 .400  0   2  .000  0         0   5   2   0   0   2  5   4  0.2  +8
2018-02-02    UTA L (-32)  0 28:27  5  10 .500  4   8  .500  2   2 1.000   9   5   0   1   2  2  16 15.5 -11
2018-02-04    CHO  L (-5)  1 26:30  7   9 .778  4   6  .667  0         0   5   1   0   0   2  3  18 13.5 +14
2018-02-06    LAL L (-19)  1 37:58  2  10 .200  1   4  .250  3   4  .750   6   4   0   0   2  3   8  4.0 -10
2018-02-07    SAS L (-48)  1 31:30  5   8 .625  2   4  .500  0         0   5   0   0   0   3  4  12  5.7 -41
2018-02-10    DEN L (-10)  1 32:52  9  15 .600  3   5  .600  2   2 1.000   8   4   1   2   2  2  23 22.5 +10
2018-02-12    GSW L (-46)  1 30:28  1   6 .167  0   4  .000  1   3  .333   3   0   0   1   2  0   3 -2.0 -22
2018-02-14    UTA L (-10)  1 24:43  2   5 .400  2   5  .400  0         0   4   0   0   0   1  5   6  1.5  +1
Provided by Basketball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 2/21/2018.

Three nice games in that sea of junk doesn’t mean much.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Cap wrote:

It’s true the his February averages are good. We have played seven games this month, and he put up really good numbers in three of them, including the first two. But in context, those averages are considerably less exciting:

Trajectory implies upward momentum, not absolute performance--his baseline was being a net negative and his upward trajectory suggests that he can now be called "inconsistent", which is a serious step up from what I would have called him in January. I'd love to continue to see consistency in his game over the next 7 weeks.

Cap

Post by Cap »

jonh wrote:
Cap wrote:

Trajectory implies upward momentum, not absolute performance--his baseline was being a net negative and his upward trajectory suggests that he can now be called "inconsistent", which is a serious step up from what I would have called him in January. I'd love to continue to see consistency in his game over the next 7 weeks.
Even that's too generous. Look at the pattern. Nine bad games, then two good games, then four bad games in the next five.

It so happens that the two good games were the first two games of February, so if you choose that as your starting point, his recent numbers look good. But those two good games were followed by four bad games in the next five, so it's not an upward trajectory, just a two game blip followed by more of the usual crap.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Someone needs to see Bender in public and kick him in the nuts