NCAA / FBI Probe and the NBA Impact

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: NCAA / FBI Probe and the NBA Impact

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:But they get paid with an education! (Which isn't really costing the university anything)
This is the first I've heard that the professors teach for free and that the buildings and the energy to run them was provided to the schools also for free. ;)
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Superbone wrote:
The Bobster wrote:But they get paid with an education! (Which isn't really costing the university anything)
This is the first I've heard that the professors teach for free and that the buildings and the energy to run them was provided to the schools also for free. ;)
They're already conducting the classes, and the money they're pulling in from TV, licensing and boosters is more than making up for anything they spend on educating the players.

The major schools are making a killing
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:
Superbone wrote:
They're already conducting the classes, and the money they're pulling in from TV, licensing and boosters is more than making up for anything they spend on educating the players.

The major schools are making a killing
I'm not arguing the second part. Yeah, the revenue brought in from these athletes far surpasses the cost to educate them.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

It's time to pay the players. They should be required to sign contracts like any professional sports. Like a 2 year deal. Let them openly negotiate. They get 2 years of college education, it changes the one-and-done philosophy and we'll have more NBA ready players coming into the league and it will give some consistency and stability to the college game.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The question is whether giving a scholarship to an athlete takes away a spot from what would be a tuition paying student. If not, then ya it's not costing the University anything.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

When the universities can spend hundreds of millions of dollars on their athletic facilities, I have no sympathy for them. They can pay the athletes and continue to offer scholarships to students. It's a drop in the bucket.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

And have a chance to get a college degree! (Except the school is only having them take the the classes they need to stay eligible)
Even more, most of the one-and-done kids only go to school for a semester at most. The whole thing is ridiculous and I hope Adam Silver changes the NBA's rules which leads to more pressure on the NCAA to clean up their racket.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

And can anyone explain to me why Ayton is playing but Miller is not coaching?

That seems like a very dumb decision by the UA athletic department.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

$5 says that the UofA basketball program gets the death penalty for at least 3 years.

Split T

Post by Split T »

If Arizona is doing it, there are plenty of other teams doing it. Louisville and Miami have already been implicated, you don't hit 6 figure payments with just 1-3 teams paying. Be really interesting to see what happens when 10 or 15 teams are guilty.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:And can anyone explain to me why Ayton is playing but Miller is not coaching?

You’re just mad cause he’s going to beat up Oregon tonight :lol:

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

specialsauce wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:And can anyone explain to me why Ayton is playing but Miller is not coaching?

You’re just mad cause he’s going to beat up Oregon tonight :lol:
Normally I would care, but Oregon isn't going anywhere this year so I really DGAF. I just think it's a lack of self awareness by the program at this point.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

If they should keep Ayton out then every player that was named in those documents should be held out as well

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

specialsauce wrote:If they should keep Ayton out then every player that was named in those documents should be held out as well
Exactly. Playing the cat-and-mouse game of trying to get away with something now is just going to hurt more in the long run. Own up to it and mitigate any impending damage.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ayton with 17/11/2 in the first half tonight

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:

And have a chance to get a college degree! (Except the school is only having them take the the classes they need to stay eligible)
Even more, most of the one-and-done kids only go to school for a semester at most. The whole thing is ridiculous and I hope Adam Silver changes the NBA's rules which leads to more pressure on the NCAA to clean up their racket.
It's a popular misconception, but the NBA Commissioner doesn't really change rules or set NBA policy - the NBA Board of Governors does. Silver may make recommendations to them which they can choose to vote on and adopt, but labor issues like the minimum age also has to be collective bargained with the NBA Players Association.

But I think pretty much everyone should agree that "one and done" just doesn't work. I think they should consider letting 18-year-olds enter the draft with them either being eligible to play immediately or assigning them to the G-League until they turn 19. Or making it more of a priority for the G-League to sign more of the top 18-year-olds and then drafting them out of the G-League after they turn 19.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

New nickname for Ayton: "The $100,000 Man"

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:New nickname for Ayton: "The $100,000 Man"
Well, it will be short lived. It will be the 8 million dollar man after the draft.
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Because their own internal investigation says that neither Ayton nor his family took any money. There are allegations but not one shred of proof (specific words of investigators). You cannot pull a player on completely unfounded allegations. On the other hand, Miller is supposedly caught on tape talking about paying off an agent.

https://twitter.com/Mark_Schlabach/stat ... 64/photo/1