Suns News: Week 20 2/27-3/4

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
EDC

Re: Suns News: Week 20 2/27-3/4

Post by EDC »

Superbone wrote:
EDC wrote:https://amp.azcentral.com/amp/382498002
Triano said Chriss’ anger and frustration was so obvious that both he and McDonough felt it was necessary to have one-on-one conversations with the second-year forward over the All-Star break. Triano wouldn’t reveal specifics of his conversation with Chriss other than to say: “I kind of told him what I thought and aired it all out. I went after him pretty good.”

Chriss said Triano and McDonough, while being candid, expressed their support for him.
Watson probably ruined him for us. I just don't see him snapping out of it all of a sudden. Will probably take a trade to wake him up. Even then he may go the route of Archie.
If Watson "ruined" him then he was too fragile to begin with. People need to take responsibility for themselves. Even Millenials.
I would agree that ultimately it is on Chriss. I was just really annoyed at how Watson would gush over him.

“It’s important for him to center his energy, because… he’s going to be one of the best at his position to ever play.”

Ah well either way it doesn't bode well for him working out here.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
EDC wrote:https://amp.azcentral.com/amp/382498002
Triano said Chriss’ anger and frustration was so obvious that both he and McDonough felt it was necessary to have one-on-one conversations with the second-year forward over the All-Star break. Triano wouldn’t reveal specifics of his conversation with Chriss other than to say: “I kind of told him what I thought and aired it all out. I went after him pretty good.”

Chriss said Triano and McDonough, while being candid, expressed their support for him.
Watson probably ruined him for us. I just don't see him snapping out of it all of a sudden. Will probably take a trade to wake him up. Even then he may go the route of Archie.
If Watson "ruined" him then he was too fragile to begin with. People need to take responsibility for themselves. Even Millenials.
It doesn't have anything to do with the year of his birth. When you are handed things on a silver platter way to prematurely, and then have that platter (rightfully) yanked away, it messes with your head.
Ah... Poor baby. Plus the Millenial thing was a joke.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm still so pissed we took this guy because the red flags were there during the draft. I don't want to pile on and I'm glad this stuff is being acknowledged, but he's clearly not mature enough yet and I can't say i'm optimistic going forward. When I watched him in college, I saw a man-child who was usually the most athletic guy on the court. The game came easy to him. Now it's a classic case of the athletic college guy facing NBA players and it's not so easy. Watson pushed to draft him and coddled him because that was his own investment. Now he's got players moving ahead on the depth chart and a coach who's holding him accountable. He needs to grow up and grow up quick. Problem is, even if he grows up I'm still not sure there's a very good basketball player there. I'd be very happy to see us package him in the summer.

Cap

Post by Cap »

ShelC wrote:I'd be very happy to see us package him in the summer.
But will you still be happy when you see what we get in the trade?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Unfortunately, he may not have much value anymore. He really needs to get over himself and build his value back up. That's on him instead of laying blame on everyone else.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I agree. We are all responsible for our own destiny. Chriss has only one guy to blame if he doesn’t succeed.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

ShelC wrote:I'm still so pissed we took this guy because the red flags were there during the draft. I don't want to pile on and I'm glad this stuff is being acknowledged, but he's clearly not mature enough yet and I can't say i'm optimistic going forward. When I watched him in college, I saw a man-child who was usually the most athletic guy on the court. The game came easy to him. Now it's a classic case of the athletic college guy facing NBA players and it's not so easy. Watson pushed to draft him and coddled him because that was his own investment. Now he's got players moving ahead on the depth chart and a coach who's holding him accountable. He needs to grow up and grow up quick. Problem is, even if he grows up I'm still not sure there's a very good basketball player there. I'd be very happy to see us package him in the summer.
On top of it, we double down on projects, almost crapshoots at the SAME POSITION. It was a recipe for problems.

Hitting two homeruns would give us a logjam, strike out would let us not just empty handed, but with a lot of pressure holding up a position for all of 48 minutes having an underachieving player always on the court (a vivid scenario for long stretches here), and even on an escenario with only one of them panning out, still would mean a waste of an asset. No true winning scenario on this strategy.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I was watching the Memphis feed last night. The number times they had to say that Chriss just didn't look like he wanted to be out there, and didn't belong, was astounding.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:I was watching the Memphis feed last night. The number times they had to say that Chriss just didn't look like he wanted to be out there, and didn't belong, was astounding.
Gotta make your fans feel good about their own players while completing an 0 fer month. No better way than to harp on your competitors as they give you yet another beating.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:I was watching the Memphis feed last night. The number times they had to say that Chriss just didn't look like he wanted to be out there, and didn't belong, was astounding.
Gotta make your fans feel good about their own players while completing an 0 fer month. No better way than to harp on your competitors as they give you yet another beating.
To be honest, they weren't bagging on him. They were just saying what we all see. You just won't hear Suns announcers saying how disinterested he is because it is bad for business. Nothing they said was an insult. They praised his freshman year, too. But he seems completely lost out there, and doesn't even seem to want to be there unless he is going after a weak-side block.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, Chriss needs a change of scenery. Just move him to a team this summer that has zero expectations. Maybe he figures it out, maybe he doesn't but his chances of figuring it out here in Phoenix don't look good.

I don't need an asset, just take his salary without giving us any salary.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:Ya, Chriss needs a change of scenery. Just move him to a team this summer that has zero expectations. Maybe he figures it out, maybe he doesn't but his chances of figuring it out here in Phoenix don't look good.

I don't need an asset, just take his salary without giving us any salary.
I think we should have traded him this deadline for some of other prospect in need of a change. Hernangomez would have been a perfect target.

Split T

Post by Split T »

https://twitter.com/esidery/status/969331707286441984

Tweet wont embed for some reason but Alan Williams could be back later this month.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The tweet wasn't embedding because the URL had an "?s=19" at the end. I removed that, so now the link works.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:The tweet wasn't embedding because the URL had an "?s=19" at the end. I removed that, so now the link works.
Awesome, thanks!

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

If Booker plays 60 games this year, and continues his present scoring pace of 24.9 ppg, he will become the Suns eighth highest single-season scorer.
He's played in 48 games, with 19 games left in the schedule.

Leaders: Chambers, 27.2 and 25.7; Stoudemire, 26.0 and 25.2; Barkley, 25.6; Charlie Scott, 25.3; and Westphal, 25.2
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

LazarusLong wrote:If Booker plays 60 games this year, and continues his present scoring pace of 24.9 ppg, he will become the Suns eighth highest single-season scorer.

Leaders: Chambers, 27.2 and 25.7; Stoudemire, 26.0 and 25.2; Barkley, 25.6; Charlie Scott, 25.3; and Westphal, 25.2
Amazing that he is doing this so young. Will he pass Chambers? Seems inevitable.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
LazarusLong wrote:If Booker plays 60 games this year, and continues his present scoring pace of 24.9 ppg, he will become the Suns eighth highest single-season scorer.

Amazing that he is doing this so young. Will he pass Chambers? Seems inevitable.
Scoring by month:

October: 22.1
November: 23.3
December: 32.3 (injured for half the games)
January: 23.4
February: 27.9

I think he can keep his Feb numbers up the rest of the year. That would put him at 25.78, giving him #2 all time. That is just crazy.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

Scoring by month:

October: 22.1
November: 23.3
December: 32.3 (injured for half the games)
January: 23.4
February: 27.9

I think he can keep his Feb numbers up the rest of the year. That would put him at 25.78, giving him #2 all time. That is just crazy.
February numbers -

7 games, 36.6 Min, 27.9 Pts, 5.7 Reb, 4.7 Ast (all impressive until you get to....) .405 FG%, .344 3P%, .840 FT% (all season lows for a month)
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Seems like every year we give him too much responsibility to close out the season. Still haven't figured out how to get him easy shots.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan