Around the League: Week 20 2/27-3/4

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Around the League: Week 20 2/27-3/4

Post by carey »

Nationally televised games this week

Monday: -
Tuesday: Washington @ Milwaukee 8:00 PM EST TNT, L.A. Clippers @ Denver 10:30 PM EST TNT
Wednesday: Golden State @ Washington 8:00 PM EST ESPN, Houston @ L.A. Clippers 10:30 PM EST ESPN
Thursday: Philadelphia @ Cleveland 8:00 PM EST TNT, Minnesota @ Portland 10:30 PM EST TNT
Friday: Toronto @ Washington 8:00 PM EST ESPN, Minnesota @ Utah 10:30 PM EST ESPN
Saturday: Boston @ Houston 8:30 PM EST ABC
Sunday: Philadelphia @ Milwaukee 8:00 PM EST ESPN

NBA News

D.A. columns for the week.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Re: Around the League: Week 20 2/27-3/4

Post by O_Gardino »

Time for a little Blake hate:

The esteemed Mr. Griffin had 12 pts and 1 rebound last night in a loss to the Raptors. I guess Ibaka is just that much better than him. Detroit has lost 6 of their last 7. Griffin is shooting .388 with 6 rebounds and 4.4 fta.

I would just love for Detroit to pass Miami (now 3 games ahead), but Griffin just can't play under pressure. He just can't. This is a 20 game run of high pressure games. Can Stan VG figure out how to coach Griffin into actually playing well?

Miami plays the 6ers tonight, so we can hope for a loss there.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Yikes that’s been disappointing I expected the Pistons to be significantly improved. Is Reggie back?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wow. The Pistons had a nice bounce when he arrived but have since plummeted.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

specialsauce wrote:Yikes that’s been disappointing I expected the Pistons to be significantly improved. Is Reggie back?
Reggie Bolluck continues to start. ;)

But, no. That Reggie isn't back.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Lol Reggie Bullock! Add him to the list of least memorable Suns

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

O_Gardino wrote:Time for a little Blake hate:

The esteemed Mr. Griffin had 12 pts and 1 rebound last night in a loss to the Raptors. I guess Ibaka is just that much better than him. Detroit has lost 6 of their last 7. Griffin is shooting .388 with 6 rebounds and 4.4 fta.

I would just love for Detroit to pass Miami (now 3 games ahead), but Griffin just can't play under pressure. He just can't. This is a 20 game run of high pressure games. Can Stan VG figure out how to coach Griffin into actually playing well?

I appreciate you posting these stats, but I feel that you're giving a one-sided view of Blake's performance by omitting some other stats. For example, how many points is he averaging as a Piston? How many minutes? I'm not saying that he is playing well in Detroit, but when you list only low FG%, FTA, and rebounds, it feels to me like you're cherry-picking.

How do you look up his stats just as a Piston? Espn.com lists the whole season and the past 10 games, but I don't know a simple way to look at just his Detroit numbers.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

As a Piston, he's averaging 19.3/6.6/5.4 with 3.2 turnovers per game on 40/27/82 shooting

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... fbl01.html

So, not great.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

I appreciate you posting these stats, but I feel that you're giving a one-sided view of Blake's performance by omitting some other stats. For example, how many points is he averaging as a Piston? How many minutes? I'm not saying that he is playing well in Detroit, but when you list only low FG%, FTA, and rebounds, it feels to me like you're cherry-picking.

How do you look up his stats just as a Piston? Espn.com lists the whole season and the past 10 games, but I don't know a simple way to look at just his Detroit numbers.
Don't use ESPN. Use basketball ref or nba.com.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... fbl01.html

He is scoring 19.3 points on 17 shots a game (40.1%). Ouch. 6.6 boards.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

Well, I did call it "hate". :twisted:

On the game logs at bkref, you can select a series of games to see the averages.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... elog/2018/

Click on the lines of the first and last game in the series and wait a sec for a pop up.

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

On the game logs at bkref, you can select a series of games to see the averages.

Click on the lines of the first and last game in the series and wait a sec for a pop up.
I had no idea you could do that. That is great. Thank you

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:Lol Reggie Bullock! Add him to the list of least memorable Suns
I was trying to remember if that was actually the guy who played on the Suns for a cup of coffee.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
specialsauce wrote:Lol Reggie Bullock! Add him to the list of least memorable Suns
I was trying to remember if that was actually the guy who played on the Suns for a cup of coffee.
I am pretty sure he was paid more than that.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I'm talking time, silly.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I'm talking time, silly.
FYI, in case anybody is wondering. The phrase isn't too common in basketball and not really totally appropriate here since Bullock is still in the NBA and not in the G League:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_of_coffee
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

So Bender's last five games...

Code: Select all

First	     Last.     	G  GS	  MP	 FG	FGA	 FG%	 3P	3PA	 3P%	 FT	FTA	 FT%	ORB	DRB	TRB	AST	STL	BLK	TOV	 PF	PTS  GmSc	 +/-
2018-02-12	2018-02-26	5	5	27.0	1.8	5.8	.310	1.2	4.2	.286	0.4	1.0	.400	0.4	4.6	5.0	1.8	0.2	0.8	1.4	3.2	5.2	2.6	-4.8
5/5/2 on 31/29/40.

Those who felt he was on an "upward trajectory" because his February numbers were good may want to reevaluate.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I'm talking time, silly.
"Cup of coffee" indeed is a time-honored baseball term, given the preponderance of minor leagues over the years and, ergo, brief callup situations.
Given the recent growth of development/minor leagues in pro basketball, one could now be justified in applying to the NBA.
'Way to go old school, Bone. :D
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

So Bender's last five games...

Code: Select all

First	     Last.     	G  GS	  MP	 FG	FGA	 FG%	 3P	3PA	 3P%	 FT	FTA	 FT%	ORB	DRB	TRB	AST	STL	BLK	TOV	 PF	PTS  GmSc	 +/-
2018-02-12	2018-02-26	5	5	27.0	1.8	5.8	.310	1.2	4.2	.286	0.4	1.0	.400	0.4	4.6	5.0	1.8	0.2	0.8	1.4	3.2	5.2	2.6	-4.8
5/5/2 on 31/29/40.

Those who felt he was on an "upward trajectory" because his February numbers were good may want to reevaluate.
Bender sucks and that’s not changing anytime soon

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'd like to see us play through him more.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:I'd like to see us play through him more.
So he can pass it to the first available teammate because he’s scared of the ball?