Game Day: Thunder (36-27) @ Suns (19-44), Fri 3/2/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Game Day: Thunder (36-27) @ Suns (19-44), Fri 3/2/18

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
JustWinBaby wrote:
Brought back great memories seeing Amare and the Matrix last night. Neither of those guys were afraid of anyone. It appears that we might have a couple nasty guys in Booker and Jackson that are not afraid of anyone as well. We really need to add to that group this off season. At this point I do not really care who we draft...
Marvin Bagley, Colin Sexton both kinda fit this mold. Both are pretty relentless and aggressive attacking the hoop. They have their shortcomings, but a Booker/Jackson/Bagley core would put a lot of pressure on the defense and draw a lot of fouls.

I'm not a huge sexton fan as he's not a great floor general, but he could be interesting if he falls to the Miami/Mil picks as he's very agressive, a gifted scorer, and I think he'll defend.
If Sexton can knock down open shots, create for himself, find open teammates, keep the turnovers down, and defend like mad...sign me up. Btw, I really love Bagley and think he will eventually be the best player from this draft. He's a lot like Jackson in that he's relentless on the boards and attacking the rim.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

"Brought back great memories seeing Amare and the Matrix last night. Neither of those guys were afraid of anyone."

Q Richardson's nickname for Stoudemire was "Hellboy."
I thought that was perfect, but I'm sure the local bluenoses didn't want their kids following an NBA player whose nickname had "Hell" in it. Heavens forbid.

I still have the ticket stub from the game wherein he scored 50 points against an assortment of Portland defenders, including Joel Przybilla, Theo Ratliff, Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Zack Randolph.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Good times!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

LazarusLong wrote:"Brought back great memories seeing Amare and the Matrix last night. Neither of those guys were afraid of anyone."

I thought that was perfect, but I'm sure the local bluenoses didn't want their kids following an NBA player whose nickname had "Hell" in it. Heavens forbid.

I still have the ticket stub from the game wherein he scored 50 points against an assortment of Portland defenders, including Joel Przybilla, Theo Ratliff, Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Zack Randolph.
Hellboy may have had an equal but quite frankly I do not who. His ability to catch just about any pass and score in traffic was unbelievable. I remember watching games in those days just to see what unbelievable move or dunk he was going to have posted in sports center that evening. I could not get enough.

We may be saying the same things about this Josh Jackson kid in the near future. At least I hope so.

I was one of the ones adament about not including JJ in a trade for Kyrie Iriving, and I wanted Kyrie in Phoenix. I am glad we did not make that trade if it would have cost Josh Jackson.

Now if we can just accellerate the heart beat of Chriss and Bender.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

LazarusLong wrote:"Brought back great memories seeing Amare and the Matrix last night. Neither of those guys were afraid of anyone."

The bluenoses? Probably the favorite college team of many of those bluenoses could possibly be the Blue Devils. I think that worry is laughable.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
JustWinBaby wrote:
Brought back great memories seeing Amare and the Matrix last night. Neither of those guys were afraid of anyone. It appears that we might have a couple nasty guys in Booker and Jackson that are not afraid of anyone as well. We really need to add to that group this off season. At this point I do not really care who we draft...
Marvin Bagley, Colin Sexton both kinda fit this mold. Both are pretty relentless and aggressive attacking the hoop. They have their shortcomings, but a Booker/Jackson/Bagley core would put a lot of pressure on the defense and draw a lot of fouls.

I'm not a huge sexton fan as he's not a great floor general, but he could be interesting if he falls to the Miami/Mil picks as he's very agressive, a gifted scorer, and I think he'll defend.
If Sexton can knock down open shots, create for himself, find open teammates, keep the turnovers down, and defend like mad...sign me up. Btw, I really love Bagley and think he will eventually be the best player from this draft. He's a lot like Jackson in that he's relentless on the boards and attacking the rim.
I'm all onboard for bagley if we don't get number 1. I see him as a safe pick as we seem to have stuck out on projects in hr lottery recently. JJ type motor, would make Chriss completely expendable. Him and JJ would be in attack mode all night which should make for some pleasant viewing compared not to our current frontline. I just really want to see effort and aggression out of Bender and Chris's the rest of the year.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Danimal wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
JustWinBaby wrote:

I'm all onboard for bagley if we don't get number 1. I see him as a safe pick as we seem to have stuck out on projects in hr lottery recently. JJ type motor, would make Chriss completely expendable. Him and JJ would be in attack mode all night which should make for some pleasant viewing compared not to our current frontline. I just really want to see effort and aggression out of Bender and Chris's the rest of the year.
amen
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
JustWinBaby wrote:

So basically if Sexton is the greatest of all time then sign you up? Make shots, create for himself and others while not turning the ball over and also play great defense. Anything else?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Jackson's really turned it on since the All-Star Break. He's damn near unstoppable in the open court with the ball. He just naturally plays downhill and doesn't get rattled by contact.

Someone mentioned that JJ might make TJ expendable and I do understand the sentiment. Both have similar skills scoring the ball, with JJ more advanced handling the ball and distributing.
But both are best slashing and getting points with runners, flip shots, baby hooks in and around the lane. JJ maybe makes TJ a luxury to have but I'd still look to hang onto TJ. Booker, JJ and TJ could be a hell of an offensive trio. Not much defense, but those 3 can do just about everything on offense minus some 3pt shooting from JJ and TJ. The challenge then becomes, who's your PG and C? Ideally you have another shooter/distributor at PG and an above the rim shotblocking defensive player at the 5.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
JustWinBaby wrote:

So basically if Sexton is the greatest of all time then sign you up? Make shots, create for himself and others while not turning the ball over and also play great defense. Anything else?
I would take about 10 players like that, thank you.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
JustWinBaby wrote:

Haha, I didn't say GOAT, he could be a serviceable and I'd be happy.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

The Bobster wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
JustWinBaby wrote:

I would take about 10 players like that, thank you.

Yes please lol

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
JustWinBaby wrote:

Haha, I didn't say GOAT, he could be a serviceable and I'd be happy.
8-)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:Jackson's really turned it on since the All-Star Break. He's damn near unstoppable in the open court with the ball. He just naturally plays downhill and doesn't get rattled by contact.

Someone mentioned that JJ might make TJ expendable and I do understand the sentiment. Both have similar skills scoring the ball, with JJ more advanced handling the ball and distributing.
But both are best slashing and getting points with runners, flip shots, baby hooks in and around the lane. JJ maybe makes TJ a luxury to have but I'd still look to hang onto TJ. Booker, JJ and TJ could be a hell of an offensive trio. Not much defense, but those 3 can do just about everything on offense minus some 3pt shooting from JJ and TJ. The challenge then becomes, who's your PG and C? Ideally you have another shooter/distributor at PG and an above the rim shotblocking defensive player at the 5.
Yep, flip flop positions in the lineup as early as next season. TJ would be nice having off the bench in relief of JJ.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."