Around the League: Week 21 3/5-3/11

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Around the League: Week 21 3/5-3/11

Post by carey »

Nationally televised games this week

Monday: Detroit @ Cleveland 7:00 PM EST NBATv, Portland @ L.A. Clippers 10:30 PM EST NBATv
Tuesday: Houston @ OKC 8:00 PM EST TNT, New Orleans @ L.A. Clippers 10:30 PM EST TNT
Wednesday: Toronto @ Detroit 8:00 PM EST ESPN, Cleveland @ Denver 10:30 PM EST ESPN
Thursday: Boston @ Minnesota 8:00 PM EST TNT, San Antonio @ Golden State 10:30 PM EST TNT
Friday: Washington @ New Orleans 8:00 PM EST NBATv, Cleveland @ L.A. Clippers 10:30 PM EST NBATv
Saturday: San Antonio @ OKC 8:30 PM EST ABC
Sunday: Golden State @ Minnesota 3:30 PM EST ESPN, Cleveland @ L.A. Lakers 9:30 PM EST ESPN

NBA News

D.A. columns for the week. Other stories.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Re: Around the League: Week 21 3/5-3/11

Post by Superbone »

The smooth jazz burn is hilarious. Especially with no reaction from the crowd. I guess they were speechless.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LMAO. I enjoyed that Jazz prank, too. Great stuff. I like when teams rib each other like this.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Incoming "rant". DA says that to get rid of tanking you would have to get rid of the draft, but that doesn't seem true. You just have to stop rewarding bad teams with better picks. The wheel system would do it. Or, less drastically (but with more variance), just shuffle the lottery teams in a random order for picks 1-14. Maybe that makes a team not go for the 8th seed and try the lottery instead, but at least there's a real price there.

I am amazed that there are fans willing to pay for the tickets to the shit-storm games like Suns-Hawks. I mean, games like this are the real detriment to the league, not Cuban being honest. Teams putting young players in weird line-ups/positions to make winning less likely are detrimental to the league. Players "rested" in the best years of their career is detrimental. But the league/owners seem fine with it, as long as you don't admit it.

At the end of the day, even with good picks handed to them, poorly managed teams remain bad. And well managed teams find a way to be good. Why give excuses to bad teams and hand them the best young players, when good teams could make more out of them?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Hermen wrote:I am amazed that there are fans willing to pay for the tickets to the s*** games like Suns-Hawks. I mean, games like this are the real detriment to the league, not Cuban being honest. Teams putting young players in weird line-ups/positions to make winning less likely are detrimental to the league. Players "rested" in the best years of their career is detrimental. But the league/owners seem fine with it, as long as you don't admit it.
I disagree with this. You can't find a league in any sport where teams without a chance to play in the postseason don't start to experiment with younger players, different lineups, and different schemes. For those teams, they're developing players for future seasons and it's smart for them to start doing it as soon as possible. The issue is the grey area where it's essentially impossible to prove that a team is actively "tanking" on any given night, which is really only an issue because of the draft lottery system. Even if the lottery is changed in a way that doesn't incentivize having the worst record, we'd still see bad basketball from bad teams in March.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The way the NBA is and how they try to market and monetize everything, I'm surprised they haven't embraced tanking with some sort of lower tier tank bracket or playoff for the 1st pick. Televise the games, the teams could trot out Gleague castoffs, and neither team would want to win. The scores would be like 65-49. It'd be great...and awful.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Pistons lost again last night. They are 2-9 in the last 11, and would have to pull off a miracle to get into the playoffs now.

Meanwhile, the Clippers are 8-3 in that time (11-4 since Harris joined the team), and are half a game behind Denver for the 8th spot.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I really don't think tanking is that big a problem, or a systematic issue that needs to be solved. You could really screw up the competitive balance of the league trying to keep bad teams from being bad.

1. Bad teams are bad. That's the nature of competition. There is always a loser. Don't try to fix this.

2. The point of the draft order is to give bad teams a chance to get better, and good players a chance to make their name in a city that needs talent. Don't screw it up trying to make a terrible team play 5% better.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Simple solution for tanking:

- Eliminate backcourt violations
- If you score points for the other team by putting it in your own basket, the other team gets to take the ball out.

Now when two tanking teams play each other, we get real basketball, only in the opposite direction.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:Simple solution for tanking:

- If you score points for the other team by putting it in your own basket, the other team gets to take the ball out.

Now when two tanking teams play each other, we get real basketball, only in the opposite direction.
11/10

I laughed hard enough that my boss put me back to work.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Hermen wrote:I am amazed that there are fans willing to pay for the tickets to the s*** games like Suns-Hawks. I mean, games like this are the real detriment to the league, not Cuban being honest. Teams putting young players in weird line-ups/positions to make winning less likely are detrimental to the league. Players "rested" in the best years of their career is detrimental. But the league/owners seem fine with it, as long as you don't admit it.
I disagree with this. You can't find a league in any sport where teams without a chance to play in the postseason don't start to experiment with younger players, different lineups, and different schemes. For those teams, they're developing players for future seasons and it's smart for them to start doing it as soon as possible. The issue is the grey area where it's essentially impossible to prove that a team is actively "tanking" on any given night, which is really only an issue because of the draft lottery system. Even if the lottery is changed in a way that doesn't incentivize having the worst record, we'd still see bad basketball from bad teams in March.
Sure, player development is fine, but right now teams don't have only the players' interests in mind but also the incoming pick. Wasn't Russell discouraged from taking 3s in his rookie season? And Oladipo was shoved into the pg spot, Len at pf, Grizzlies used 3 bigs for a while this year. Not to mention getting benched in the 4th if you're having a good game.
And, yes, some of these things may happen regardless of tanking, but there's no need to encourage it. Why make fans cheer for losses?

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

O_Gardino wrote:I really don't think tanking is that big a problem, or a systematic issue that needs to be solved. You could really screw up the competitive balance of the league trying to keep bad teams from being bad.

1. Bad teams are bad. That's the nature of competition. There is always a loser. Don't try to fix this.

2. The point of the draft order is to give bad teams a chance to get better, and good players a chance to make their name in a city that needs talent. Don't screw it up trying to make a terrible team play 5% better.
But right now they are trying to keep bad teams from being bad by giving them good picks. In the process they are forcing average teams to be bad as well, because that's the surest way of getting better.
Also, why would competitive balance be worse if bad and average teams were not discouraged from competing?

Edit: And just to add, tanking doesn't bother me much. I simply ignore the teams that do it for the rest of the season. I do think it's hypocritical to fine Cuban for being honest. And I think rewarding bad teams screams of poor design.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Really, the main point of the draft was to keep salaries down.

The alternative would be to have a rookie maximum salary and let them sign wherever they want, and limiting the number of players that a team can sign at that rookie max, perhaps allowing one for a playoff team and two for a non-playoff team. Or giving non-playoff teams a (slightly) higher rookie maximum salary. (all of this would be based on available cap space)
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Cap wrote:Simple solution for tanking:

Magnificent!

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
How about if you pay players for wins. $10,000 a piece to each player on the winning team for each game. It would make tanking a lot harder to get away with.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

JCSunsfan wrote:How about if you pay players for wins. $10,000 a piece to each player on the winning team for each game. It would make tanking a lot harder to get away with.
I don't think the issue is with the players, it's with the front office and coaching staff.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Interesting thread discussion

Silver sure seems to be trying.....

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/971171507618664449

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Anthony Davis is fucking insane. He's like an athletic Tim Duncan right now.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

The Rockets are 34-1 when Harden, Paul and Capela all play.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I'm really not a fan of the wheel system. Just make the lottery for the first five picks in the draft, have the lotto teams be every team that misses the playoffs and all eight of the 1st rounder losers, and make is even odds for all teams.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.