Around the League: Week 21 3/5-3/11

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Around the League: Week 21 3/5-3/11

Post by Superbone »

One of the worst NBA ref rulings in the history of NBA ref rulings tonight. Magic @ Lakers and Magic have the ball by their hoop with 0.6 remaining, down 1. They lob the ball in and the Laker clock keeper starts the clock before anybody touches the ball and in fact the game buzzer goes off before anybody touches the ball. Reset the clock and try it again, right? Nope. Jump ball at center court. Lopez taps it the other way. Ballgame.
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:One of the worst NBA ref rulings in the history of NBA ref rulings tonight. Magic @ Lakers and Magic have the ball by their hoop with 0.6 remaining, down 1. They lob the ball in and the Laker clock keeper starts the clock before anybody touches the ball and in fact the game buzzer goes off before anybody touches the ball. Reset the clock and try it again, right? Nope. Jump ball at center court. Lopez taps it the other way. Ballgame.
wtf
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:One of the worst NBA ref rulings in the history of NBA ref rulings tonight. Magic @ Lakers and Magic have the ball by their hoop with 0.6 remaining, down 1. They lob the ball in and the Laker clock keeper starts the clock before anybody touches the ball and in fact the game buzzer goes off before anybody touches the ball. Reset the clock and try it again, right? Nope. Jump ball at center court. Lopez taps it the other way. Ballgame.
I was watching. It was absurd. Even the Lakers announcers couldn't believe it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Yep, I was watching the same thing. Unbelievable. I guess the refs must have been in on the Magic tank job. It's the only reasonable explanation.
"Be Legendary."

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Superbone wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Yep, I was watching the same thing. Unbelievable. I guess the refs must have been in on the Magic tank job. It's the only reasonable explanation.
The NBA Is going to have to act on that. Someone is going to have to be fired or suspended. I know it was a largely meaningless game between 2 crap teams, but it opens up the possibility of that happening in a critical playoff game. The ref or the time keeper would be punched in the face by the opposing coach and rightfully so.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

1st, the NBA needs to give the win to the Magic. Then a full scale investigation of the refs. Were they paid to do that?

And the only reasonable response to the Lakers shot clock guy is to disband the whole organization. Hold a draft in which the worst teams get to pick one player from the Lakers roster. During nights on which a team would have been scheduled to play the Lakers, instead hold an elaborate ceremony celebrating the accomplishments of that team.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Yes, it's a bad rule, but it's all the officials and the replay center have to go on.

The logical thing to do of course is to reset the clock and give the ball back to Orlando, but if they had done that contrary to the rule the Lakers could have protested the game and likely would have had their protest upheld.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

The Bobster wrote:Yes, it's a bad rule, but it's all the officials and the replay center have to go on.

The logical thing to do of course is to reset the clock and give the ball back to Orlando, but if they had done that contrary to the rule the Lakers could have protested the game and likely would have had their protest upheld.
Well. Shot clock guys can decide every close game now. Pay them well.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I guess a very similar situation happened at the Staples center earlier this season in a game between the Clippers and Wizards. Beal hit a shot that would have counted to win, except that the clock was started too soon. The difference was that the ball was taken out again and the clock reset. I wonder if it's the same clock operator for both games?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Miami beat PHI again. Tehy played each other 4 times in the last month, and split the series. They are a fun matchup, IMHO.

I just noticed that the Lakers and Pistons have the same # of wins. Pistons fans have got to be upset. What a roller coaster season.

Clippers are 1 game out of the playoffs still. It's going to be down the the wire in the west.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

Lakers have been playing really well. They might finish .500