Do you think the Suns will ever return to prominence under Sarver's ownership?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Charlie Smithy!

Do you think the Suns will ever return to prominence under Sarver's ownership?

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Define prominence however you like.

As we all know, he inherited a great team in 2004 and...we know the rest.

Multiple coaches, multiple GMs...but obviously just one owner.

I want to believe that Sarver "gets it" now. But you really need the Owner/GM/coach to (ideally) be in this symbiotic kinda relationship that would make Teal'c from Stargate SG-1 blush.

Is it gonna happen? Time will obviously tell; but I just want your guys's take.

The Bobster

Re: Do you think the Suns will ever return to prominence under Sarver's ownership?

Post by The Bobster »

Until he decides to hire a first-rate coach and his front office starts to display a little more acumen, no.

Do I see that happening under Sarver? Not any time soon.
Last edited by The Bobster on Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Flagrant Fowl

Re: Do you think the Suns will ever return to prominence under Sarver's ownership?

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

No.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

If we define prominence as perennial playoff contender like say Memphis was over the last little while then I'll say yes. I'm less confident we'll reach Nash era Suns or kj/Barkley era Suns with sarver in charge.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think we can, but it isn't likely. He doesn't know what he is doing, and is penny-wise when hiring front office staff.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Step one in fixing the Suns took place tonight with the agreement to refurbish Talking Stick Arena.

Unfortunately, step two is the most difficult step - getting Sarver to sell the team. Now that the threat of the team moving is pretty much nil, we can only home Sarver is so embarrassed and so vilified that he looks to get out of basketball. I haven't seen any signs of it, but one can hope.

- they need a better owner (who lets his basketball people do their jobs)
- they need a better chief executive office
- they need a good general manager
- they need better player development and coaching
- they need better players (there are a few that are keepers, but not nearly enough)

Basically, a top-to-bottom overhaul. I haven't seen one area that this organization excels at.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Look what happened to Golden State after getting a new owner. Case closed.
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:23 pm
Look what happened to Golden State after getting a new owner. Case closed.
It all starts at the top.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Take a page out of Bidwill's book. Open up the vault and spend some money on guys that know where they're doing and get the hell out of the way.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

So to answer the question, no.

Cap

Post by Cap »

They’ll always be prominent to me.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Good answer.

I have no idea if they will ever become great again. Imthink we have some good pieces but, not all of them.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Yes. The first step was getting rid of Mcdo. Step two is getting a veteran PG. Step three is replacing James Jones ASAP. all of this is very doable.

The problem for the last 5 yrs isnt sarver selling picks for cash, but mcdo making one mistake after another: From not trading for Pau Gasol in 2014, to blowing the #4 pick last year. If sarver intervened last year, that pick would have been Fox.

Mcdo became INF. Lets stash and collect picks and young assets.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I am starting to doubt whether Saver could ever be the owner of a winning team that was built on his watch. He inherited a great team in the mid-aughts, and the team had a few mini-resurgences later, but the only Suns team that was truly a contender on Saver's watch was the one that was there when he bought the team, built by the Colangeli. He has made countless mistakes since then.

Building an NBA championship team is hard to do even if you make almost all the right decisions. It's essentially impossible if you are an idiot and don't know what you are doing. Saver doesn't know how to hire good people to build his team. James Jones should not be our GM. Babby and Blanks should not have worked in our front office. I think McDo was a defensible hire, but others may disagree. And we've hired several atrocious coaches over the years, too. I don't hate Coachoskov, but it is clear we only hired him because we weren't willing to actually do what it took to make this an environment where a coach like Bud would want to be.

I really want Saver to sell the team. He's an awful owner, one of the worst in the NBA. He makes it depressing to be a Suns fan.

SDC

Post by SDC »

I think one thing that is a Minus for Sarver is nobody good wants to work for him. babby got hired, but the suns had to take his clients (hedo, warrick, josh childress), young mcdo took the job because he wanted to run his own team. james jones got promoted after mcdo got fired, but doesnt belong there.

i still think sarver should hire bryan colangelo, the prodigal sun, and give him the redeption that he needs.