Around the League: Week 22 3/12-3/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
EDC

Re: Around the League: Week 22 3/12-3/18

Post by EDC »

[streamable][/streamable]

Such cheap crap. I hated when Nash did that second move as well. The Pelicans needed someone to put Manu on his ass after pulling that shit.

Having guards just throwing themselves in front of bigs is not good for the game.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

EDC wrote:

Such cheap crap. I hated when Nash did that second move as well. The Pelicans needed someone to put Manu on his ass after pulling that s***.

Having guards just throwing themselves in front of bigs is not good for the game.
That is just horrible. I would have called a defensive foul on the first one and an offensive foul on the second. You cannot just move out of your path and into someone else's even if you have the ball.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

God. That video clip makes my blood boil. The Spurs definitely won a few key games dirty against us over the years.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JCSunsfan wrote:
EDC wrote:

Such cheap crap. I hated when Nash did that second move as well. The Pelicans needed someone to put Manu on his ass after pulling that s***.

That is just horrible. I would have called a defensive foul on the first one and an offensive foul on the second. You cannot just move out of your path and into someone else's even if you have the ball.
The second one was especially bad. Manu might as well have dove into AD's legs. He didn't even establish position in front of AD. There wasn't anything AD could have even done to avoid it, unless he knew it was coming and ran away from manu as he started to cross in front.

I thought the first was a blocking foul too, it was closer, but I don't think manu got their in time

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JCSunsfan wrote:
EDC wrote:

I think the first one is a charge. It’s on AD to pay attention where he’s running.

That second one was atrocious.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

We see both of those calls all the time. You're just going to get a foul called on you if you run somebody over like Davis did in both of those plays.

It may not be great basketball to watch, but they're smart plays because Ginobili knows how the games are officiated.

Now, if you really want to make them stop, just absolutely flatten the guy a couple of times. You may get a flagrant foul or two, but they won't be so eager to take those fouls anymore.

The first play is what they pass off as playing defense in college. It's coached for you to play that way.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

The Bobster wrote:We see both of those calls all the time. You're just going to get a foul called on you if you run somebody over like Davis did in both of those plays.

It may not be great basketball to watch, but they're smart plays because Ginobili knows how the games are officiated.

Now, if you really want to make them stop, just absolutely flatten the guy a couple of times. You may get a flagrant foul or two, but they won't be so eager to take those fouls anymore.

The first play is what they pass off as playing defense in college. It's coached for you to play that way.
I agree on the first one. It was a 50-50 call that gets called a charge all the time, it's just extra annoying because Davis didn't have the ball.

I disagree on the 2nd one. It's one thing to be running in front of the defender and stop to have him run you over, but ginobili was to the side of Davis and jumped into his path. That should not be a foul on Davis. If the same play happened but Davis had the ball, it would be an obvious foul on ginobili. He did not establish position in front of Davis before Davis ran him over.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

The rule book reads -

"In all guarding situations, a player is entitled to any spot on the court he desires, provided he legally gets to that spot first and without contact with an opponent. If a defensive or offensive player has established a position on the floor and his opponent initiates contact that results in the dislodging of the opponent, a foul should b e called IMMEDIATELY."

If the offensive player reaches a spot on the floor and the defensive player initiates contact that dislodges him, it's a foul. It'a a lot like when a shooter uses a ball fake to get a defender up in the air. As long as the defended jumps vertically and comes down in the same spot they shouldn't call a foul, but if he jumps in the air and doesn't jump vertically, the shooter is allowed to step in and draw contact for a foul.

Personally, I don't like that kind of play either, but I also don't think a player who "sells a call" should be rewarded for flopping, but the way the rule book is written, an offensive player does not have to "establish position" for contact that dislodges him is a foul.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The Bobster wrote:The rule book reads -

"In all guarding situations, a player is entitled to any spot on the court he desires, provided he legally gets to that spot first and without contact with an opponent. If a defensive or offensive player has established a position on the floor and his opponent initiates contact that results in the dislodging of the opponent, a foul should b e called IMMEDIATELY."

If the offensive player reaches a spot on the floor and the defensive player initiates contact that dislodges him, it's a foul. It'a a lot like when a shooter uses a ball fake to get a defender up in the air. As long as the defended jumps vertically and comes down in the same spot they shouldn't call a foul, but if he jumps in the air and doesn't jump vertically, the shooter is allowed to step in and draw contact for a foul.

Personally, I don't like that kind of play either, but I also don't think a player who "sells a call" should be rewarded for flopping, but the way the rule book is written, an offensive player does not have to "establish position" for contact that dislodges him is a foul.
establish position = "legally gets to that spot first "
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Watching OKC vs TOR right now. Last night I watched HOU vs NOP.

All these playoff teams play with a whole more intensity and focus/execution than PHX. It's almost like a different league.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Yo, the refs are making non calls on travelling a serious problem. George blatantly traveled in a fastbreak while the game was tied at 123 with 1:10 left, yet he was awarded with a foul and tow FTs.

The basic stuff needs to be nailed always, come on.

Oh, and brutal no call on a DeRozan's drive to tie it at 125. Letting defenders drop the axe has been a problem these past two years as well.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

O_Gardino wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
Hermen wrote:
Split T wrote:New Orleans has a 5 games in 6 nights coming up. Due to a postponed game with Indy, New Orleans goes Houston and Boston on 17th and 18th, gets the 19th off and then goes Dallas, Indy, LAL on 20-22nd. Back to back to back is so brutal.
Damn, that's terrible.
I was doing some research on the original Denver Nuggets (1949-50) a while back because they started the season 0-15. Among that streak was six games on six consecutive nights in six different cities. Granted, they were all along the East Coast, but they also traveled by train back then.

New Orleans' 5 games in 6 nights is pretty unusual nowadays, and includes a couple of fairly long overnight trips (Houston to Boston and Indianapolis to Los Angeles). I'd guess maybe they win maybe 2 of the 5.
There's a pretty good chance they beat Dallas, but I don't know if any of those other games are winnable.

Boston has been struggling (by their standards), but I still don't know if the Pels beat them on the second of b2b games on the road. Lets say NO beats Dallas. Great. Indy and the Lakers are both playing very well. We could see some crazy games from AD trying to stay competitive, or that stretch of games might sink the ship.
This stretch of games for NOP is looking much easier now that I see they are all home games. Maybe they get 3.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan