Game Day: Cavs (38-28) @ Suns (19-49), Tues 3/13/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Game Day: Cavs (38-28) @ Suns (19-49), Tues 3/13/18

Post by O_Gardino »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Split T wrote:I'm not trading Josh for Trae Young.
I would absolutely trade Josh Jackson for Trae Young. Jackson is eminently replaceable; in fact, we already have a player with many similar offensive skills at JJ's same position in TJ Warren. Hypothetically trading him for Young would likely be a huge improvement for our roster. I don't think Trae Young is the next Steph, but he has a higher ceiling than Jackson and a more valuable 2018 NBA skillset IMO.
That's a bold take, Mori. If Jackson grows mentally into his own body and learns how to play under control, he is a monster. His shot is not reliable right now in spot up and catch and shoot situations, but he has displayed shotmaking ability off the bounce. This is an outstanding prospect with motor, focus and the competitive spirit to bodyguard Booker for a long time. I don't trust Young's athleticism nearly enough to invest so heavily in him.

Now, if Young were to drop and you tell me you want to use say MIL and MIA picks, plus Chriss, I can see that. But to me Jackson is available only if we are trading for a young star.
I like Trae, but I'm with Ring on this one.

Marty, check out Young's stats later in the season. He had an unbelievable first 11 games. After that, he shot .389 with 8 assists and 6 turnovers. He would look much better with better teammates, but I don't think he's a #1 option in the NBA.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... melog/2018
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:Trading Jackson for Trae Young is slightly bonkers. Am I the only one that sees elite quickness in Jackson that only the rarest of NBA athletes have? Once he figures it out he will be a monster. He needs to get that outside shot going and get a little better at decision making but the tools are there. I've come around big time on his prospects.

Regarding what I said about Bender. I've not given up on him exactly. It's just I don't see him developing into an aggressive player any time soon. He'll be content to hang out at the 3 and pass up open shots for the foreseeable future.
About Bender: He certainly wont completely change his preferred style of play, and I wouldn't expect anything different this season. Next season, I will look for progress in his rebounding and overall scoring. It's about him getting stronger and improving his situational recognition.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

O_Gardino wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I would absolutely trade Josh Jackson for Trae Young. Jackson is eminently replaceable; in fact, we already have a player with many similar offensive skills at JJ's same position in TJ Warren. Hypothetically trading him for Young would likely be a huge improvement for our roster. I don't think Trae Young is the next Steph, but he has a higher ceiling than Jackson and a more valuable 2018 NBA skillset IMO.
That's a bold take, Mori. If Jackson grows mentally into his own body and learns how to play under control, he is a monster. His shot is not reliable right now in spot up and catch and shoot situations, but he has displayed shotmaking ability off the bounce. This is an outstanding prospect with motor, focus and the competitive spirit to bodyguard Booker for a long time. I don't trust Young's athleticism nearly enough to invest so heavily in him.

Now, if Young were to drop and you tell me you want to use say MIL and MIA picks, plus Chriss, I can see that. But to me Jackson is available only if we are trading for a young star.
I like Trae, but I'm with Ring on this one.

Marty, check out Young's stats later in the season. He had an unbelievable first 11 games. After that, he shot .389 with 8 assists and 6 turnovers. He would look much better with better teammates, but I don't think he's a #1 option in the NBA.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... melog/2018
Young is incredibly overrated based off his start to the season, I agree.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I still want no parts of Trae Young. None.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

carey wrote:Trading Jackson for Trae Young is slightly bonkers. Am I the only one that sees elite quickness in Jackson that only the rarest of NBA athletes have? Once he figures it out he will be a monster. He needs to get that outside shot going and get a little better at decision making but the tools are there. I've come around big time on his prospects.

Regarding what I said about Bender. I've not given up on him exactly. It's just I don't see him developing into an aggressive player any time soon. He'll be content to hang out at the 3 and pass up open shots for the foreseeable future.
Naaaah!!

He is taking too long, my capuccino it’s almost empty, let’s kick him to the curb!!!

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Jackson for Trae Young.. Mori, I'll have whatever you're on! That's a terrible idea.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thank you
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Josh Jackson worse case scenario: Shawn Marion

Josh Jackson best case scenario: Scottie Pippen

Amirite?!

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I think that’s insulting to Marion. If we look back at Joshs career and he ends up as impactful as Trix, that would be outstanding to me. Trix was great

Split T

Post by Split T »

JustWinBaby wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thank you
You guys gonna think this when Trae Young is JJ Barea 2.0

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

specialsauce wrote:I think that’s insulting to Marion. If we look back at Joshs career and he ends up as impactful as Trix, that would be outstanding to me. Trix was great
'twas tongue in cheek, mah dude.

And I agree with your sentiment, in spades.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
specialsauce wrote:I think that’s insulting to Marion. If we look back at Joshs career and he ends up as impactful as Trix, that would be outstanding to me. Trix was great
'twas tongue in cheek, mah dude.

And I agree with your sentiment, in spades.
Lol. Missed it my bad

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

AmareIsGod wrote:Jackson for Trae Young.. Mori, I'll have whatever you're on! That's a terrible idea.
I'll admit that my ability to judge college prospects is flat out garbage. Every year I like certain guys and want them on the Suns. I don't avidly watch college hoops, so often this is based on a few tournament games or nbadraft.net videos or articles. Last year I really wanted the Suns to get Tatum and was bummed when the Celtics took him #3. And I liked Lonzo Ball most of all and thought he was way better than Fultz. I think I was right on both of those overall. I didn't hate the Jackson pick but kind of wanted a different direction such as Fox who was taken by Sacramento. I wanted us to trade Bledsoe and find a new PG and just take the franchise to its next step.

But I have wanted a bunch of players from college who have turned out to be mediocre or just bad, like Frank Kaminski. And I have thought guys would be busts who turned out pretty darn good, like Markkanen, who I thought had huge bust potential.

As for Josh Jackson, he's been improving a lot. But if he can't shoot, I don't really believe in him. At least TJ Warren can shoot out to midrange. I have more faith that TJ can lock himself in a gym and get corner 3-point range to become a really deadly offensive player. And TJ just seems more consistent of a scoring contributor from night to night, so I like him more than Jackson. But as I say, my opinions are mostly garbage and I'm just as likely to be wrong on this one as right.

I think I like Trae Young more than most here. Since he had a rough second half of the season and tournament game, maybe we would not have to give up Jackson to get him anyway. We could use lesser picks to trade for him or just pick him ourselves if he fell far enough.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I guess I feel like JJ does more than Warren. All Warren does is score 2pt buckets. He does it very well. But the defense that JJ brings and playmaking are much higher than the single dimension TJ brings.

And I think you're right. We wouldn't have to trade to get Trae after his 2nd half.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JJ's shooting looked really smooth last game out. I think he's going to become a more than serviceable shooter. He's got great confidence. And after his body fills out, watch out! I think we're going to be very happy with him.
"Be Legendary."