What happened to Kevin Johnson during his age 31 season?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Charlie Smithy!

What happened to Kevin Johnson during his age 31 season?

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... ske02.html

Just the year before, at 30, it seemed like (statistically anyway) he was still in his prime. 50% FG, 44% on his threes (granted with the shortened distance I believe), and 85% from the line. Along with these numbers, he averaged 20 points and 9 assists.

One year later, he plays in 50 games (only starting 12) and averages some pretty pedestrian numbers. Cue first retirement.

I'm guessing it was injury-related?

Split T

Re: What happened to Kevin Johnson during his age 31 season?

Post by Split T »

Was that Jason Kidd's first season in Phoenix?

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Yup, Kidd was traded here December 27, 1996.

Objectively, I know Kidd was overall the better basketball player, but I would have loved to have kept Finley nonetheless.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

He also suffered a knee injury in late November missing a couple of months and limiting his minutes the rest of the year - he averaged 34 minutes before the injury, 23 after.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Didn't he retire and then un-retire? Or am I getting the chronology messed up?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Didn't he retire and then un-retire? Or am I getting the chronology messed up?
He said that his intention throughout his career was to play ten seasons. After that, he intended to retire, but was talked into sticking around for an 11th season. After that, he retired, but made a brief comeback two years later when Kidd was injured.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

He briefly retired in June of 1997 but returned in time for the 1997-98 opener (as Cap mentioned above). Then he retired in October, 1998 and missed the entire 1998-99 season but was lured back by Jerry Colangelo in April, 2000 when when Jason Kidd was injured. He played the final 6 games of the season and the playoffs (as Randy Livingston's backup) before retiring for good in August, 2000.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

EDC

Post by EDC »

I remember KJ and Santiago running the pick and roll and it being the only offensive play we had that looked decent. Except on Basketball Reference it says Santiago didn't start playing with us until the 2000-2001 season while it shows KJ last playing with us in 99-00.

Is my memory that jacked?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

EDC wrote:I remember KJ and Santiago running the pick and roll and it being the only offensive play we had that looked decent. Except on Basketball Reference it says Santiago didn't start playing with us until the 2000-2001 season while it shows KJ last playing with us in 99-00.

Is my memory that jacked?
:lol:

Yeah, and Santiago averaged about 3 points a game with the Suns!

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Eddie Johnson is usually charitable to the lesser talented Suns players, but he had few positive comments about Santiago.
That was a season when the Suns had a center by committe approach with Santiago, Tsakalidis, Chris Dudley, Corie Blount, Ruben Garces and sometimes even Cliff Robinson.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

That was year they moved 3 point shot in and I remember he started taking more of those too.