Suns News: Week 23 3/19-3/25

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Suns News: Week 23 3/19-3/25

Post by ShelC »

Marvin Williams and Beasley were more perimeter players/talented scorers. Chriss doesn't have that natural offense inside or out. I wouldn't trust Chriss to handle the ball on the perimeter and make a move on his man. I keep coming back to Mark Bryant for some reason. Not as athletic as Chriss but similar numbers and style IMO. Chriss has more raw talent, but what's he going to do with it?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Per 36 for Marvin in his first 2 years: Pts/Reb/Blk

12.4/7.1/0.4
13.9/5.6/0.5

Chriss per 36

15.6/7.2/1.4
12.4/9.0/1.5

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Chriss's effort and attitude is a real concern. He always seems to turn it on a bit to end a season. That gets our hopes up and then the next year starts... He couldn't even make it out of Summer League without dashing our hopes again.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:Per 36 for Marvin in his first 2 years: Pts/Reb/Blk

12.4/7.1/0.4
13.9/5.6/0.5

Chriss per 36

15.6/7.2/1.4
12.4/9.0/1.5
sure their stats were similar but they play nothing alike

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:

12.4/7.1/0.4
13.9/5.6/0.5

Chriss per 36

15.6/7.2/1.4
12.4/9.0/1.5
They actually play really similar. Early on Williams was almost strictly a long 2 jump shooter or at the rim guy. He everyday turned those long 2's into 3's. Both had similar usage rates and assist rates. So basically neither create their own offense, mostly take catch and shoot jumpers or dunk.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

12.4/7.1/0.4
13.9/5.6/0.5

Chriss per 36

15.6/7.2/1.4
12.4/9.0/1.5
They actually play really similar. Early on Williams was almost strictly a long 2 jump shooter or at the rim guy. He everyday turned those long 2's into 3's. Both had similar usage rates and assist rates. So basically neither create their own offense, mostly take catch and shoot jumpers or dunk.
I think Williams ball handling skills were much, much better. He played more like a SF. Nobody is going to confuse Chriss with one. Just because Warren and Chriss both take similar shots doesn’t mean they’re similar players as they go about it in entirely different ways.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don't remember Williams ever having much game off the dribble, but that was a long time ago. He did come into the league as a small forward.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:I don't remember Williams ever having much game off the dribble, but that was a long time ago. He did come into the league as a small forward.
Yeah he did. He was a Billy Knight "every player should be 6'8" sf on the floor" philosophy. He passed up drafting Chris Paul for him.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 456026002/

Here we go..........

Suns fans can dream of Aaron Gordon after he powers Magic to victory

ORLANDO, Fla. — So, how would Aaron Gordon look in a Suns uniform next season?

The Suns lost their 11th straight game Saturday, falling to the Orlando Magic, 105-99, at the Amway Center, but the defeat had a different feel from so many of their recent losses.

First, Phoenix had a chance to win late in the fourth quarter, which probably says as much about Orlando (22-51) as it does about the Suns (19-54).

Second, it was a chance for Phoenix fans to dream. Of Deandre Ayton as the No. 1 pick. Of trading up to land a point guard. And, finally, of ripping Gordon away from the Magic in free agency.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In Northern Arizona's Saturday night game, in 25 minutes, Big Sauce had 25 points (50% FG), 11 rebounds, 3 blocks, 1 assist, 4 turnovers.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'll be putting together a march in Phoenix if we sign Aaron Gordon.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:I'll be putting together a march in Phoenix if we sign Aaron Gordon.
Because you don't like him? I think they try to sign him if the draft falls a certain way.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Where does he play? Is he worth a max or near max deal? He's not a SF. He's a tweener, and not the good kind.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't hate Aaron Gordon. He could be a valuable player on the right team under the right circumstances. I just don't think he fits here very well given our gaping holes and weaknesses. And I worry that this offseason they'll go "all in" and sign 2-3 overpaid vets to try to get good right away, and fail. You can just feel it happening, that they'll sign, say, Aaron Gordon, Avery Bradley, and a big new contract for Elfrid Payton. And they'll draft somebody and call it a day.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I don't hate Aaron Gordon. He could be a valuable player on the right team under the right circumstances. I just don't think he fits here very well given our gaping holes and weaknesses. And I worry that this offseason they'll go "all in" and sign 2-3 overpaid vets to try to get good right away, and fail. You can just feel it happening, that they'll sign, say, Aaron Gordon, Avery Bradley, and a big new contract for Elfrid Payton. And they'll draft somebody and call it a day.
And we'll draft a wing to go with Booker, Jackson, Warren and Gordon.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I've been convinced we are pursuing Gordon since the beginning of the season, and I do think he will fit at PF much better than both Chriss and Bender. Do I wanna break the bank for him? Nope, do I think he could keep improving? Absolutely. I also don't really think he's a tweener anymore, he's strong enough to defend most of any of the big PF out there and quick enough to defend SF, much like Draymond. He's obviously not there defensively yet, but he's improving. Gordon/JJ/Booker and a draft pick or 2 along with some good veteran shooting/defense will get this ship righted IMO.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, it's not like I'm going to commit harry caray or something if we sign Gordon.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I don't hate Aaron Gordon. He could be a valuable player on the right team under the right circumstances. I just don't think he fits here very well given our gaping holes and weaknesses. And I worry that this offseason they'll go "all in" and sign 2-3 overpaid vets to try to get good right away, and fail. You can just feel it happening, that they'll sign, say, Aaron Gordon, Avery Bradley, and a big new contract for Elfrid Payton. And they'll draft somebody and call it a day.
Well, there's no chance we have the money to do what you said. We'll have the capspace to sign one of Gordon or Bradley, but only if we renounce Payton.

Like you said, Gordon isn't a perfect fit, but he's young and a good player. I'd be fine targeting him in free agency. I'm trying to decide who of the restricted PF (Gordon, Parker, Randle) I'd rather pursue. I'm leaning Gordon, but the other two are intriguing.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Well, there's no chance we have the money to do what you said. We'll have the capspace to sign one of Gordon or Bradley, but only if we renounce Payton.

Like you said, Gordon isn't a perfect fit, but he's young and a good player. I'd be fine targeting him in free agency. I'm trying to decide who of the restricted PF (Gordon, Parker, Randle) I'd rather pursue. I'm leaning Gordon, but the other two are intriguing.
I like Gordon the most of those 3 as well. Not sure I like him at the max. I’d like him paired with Ayton but depends on the cost

Split T

Post by Split T »

Although, Randle since the all star break:

21.5/10.2/3.4 and shooting 58% from the field.