Around the League: Week 23 3/19-3/25

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Around the League: Week 23 3/19-3/25

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Cap wrote:
Split T wrote:It's probably unrealistic and won't happen, but what is the trade for Kawhi? Jackson and our 2018 1st? Is that enough? Would you do it? Even with injury concerns?

Booker/Kawhi is a great start, how do we fill out the rest of the roster?
If we trade for him, we're gonna be giving up a lot of assets and a $200M+ contract for a player who’s always injured and never playing.

If he doesn’t end up on the Suns, he'll be fine.

Just assume the curse is still in effect. Things still tend to work out that way.
Never plays? In his 7 years, the worst year before now is playing 58 games. That is about what Booker is going to play this year. Do you consider Booker a guy that never plays? If you average 65 games a year from Leonard, you are getting a great deal.
I had the same reaction at first, but I think cap was making a prediction of the future. If we trade for Kawhi, he'll have an injury riddled rest of his career because the Suns are cursed.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:
Cap wrote:
Split T wrote:It's probably unrealistic and won't happen, but what is the trade for Kawhi? Jackson and our 2018 1st? Is that enough? Would you do it? Even with injury concerns?

If we trade for him, we're gonna be giving up a lot of assets and a $200M+ contract for a player who’s always injured and never playing.

If he doesn’t end up on the Suns, he'll be fine.

Just assume the curse is still in effect. Things still tend to work out that way.
Never plays? In his 7 years, the worst year before now is playing 58 games. That is about what Booker is going to play this year. Do you consider Booker a guy that never plays? If you average 65 games a year from Leonard, you are getting a great deal.
I had the same reaction at first, but I think cap was making a prediction of the future. If we trade for Kawhi, he'll have an injury riddled rest of his career because the Suns are cursed.

That's what Cap is saying.

But, to be paranoid, a guy who averages 66 games/year when young might not be all that healthy as he gets older.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

Got it. Makes sense if cap is predicting what it might look like.

As for the risk of a guy that averages games a year, when he goes all out on both ends of the floor, all game, that doesn't worry me too much. If he was a 1 way player and still couldn't play 75 games a year, that would.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I would not trade Jackson and our 2018 first.

I would trade Warren and our Milwaukee + Miami first rounder, + our unprotected first round pick next year + Bender

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:

I would trade Warren and our Milwaukee + Miami first rounder, + our unprotected first round pick next year + Bender
Curious why you'd offer Jackson for Kyrie and not Kawhi?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:

I agree. I would want to use Kawhi with Jackson like the Spurs create defensive matchup problems with Green and Leonard where the offense has a hard time getting a switch.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

Wow that is totally out of context man.

The trade mentioned was Jackson + #1 overall pick for Leonard. There’s no way I would do that for anyone in this league. You get one or the other of those two.

The Kyrie deal was never for the #1 overall pick. It was Jackson + a first round pick. That pick was not going to be the first overall pick, we don’t even know which pick it would have been offered (ours, protection, Miami pick, etc).

I would be willing to swap Warren and Jackson in my said deal if we absolutely couldn’t get the deal done otherwise, but then I wouldn’t offer so many picks. Maybe Jackson + Better of Miami/Mil picks this year + Bender.

Now if we were to fall to 4th overall, I’m not nearly as married to that pick and I’d be fine sending it out

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

The trade mentioned was Jackson + #1 overall pick for Leonard. There’s no way I would do that for anyone in this league. You get one or the other of those two.

The Kyrie deal was never for the #1 overall pick. It was Jackson + a first round pick. That pick was not going to be the first overall pick, we don’t even know which pick it would have been offered (ours, protection, Miami pick, etc).

I would be willing to swap Warren and Jackson in my said deal if we absolutely couldn’t get the deal done otherwise, but then I wouldn’t offer so many picks. Maybe Jackson + Better of Miami/Mil picks this year + Bender.

Now if we were to fall to 4th overall, I’m not nearly as married to that pick and I’d be fine sending it out
Was just a question. Was mostly just curious if you thought Kyrie was a better target than Kawhi.

For the record, I don't think you're getting close to Kawhi without Jackson and our first this year.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

Was just a question. Was mostly just curious if you thought Kyrie was a better target than Kawhi.

For the record, I don't think you're getting close to Kawhi without Jackson and our first this year.
I just didn’t want to rehash the Kyrie trade you guys were all wrong about. 8-) I think Kawhi is much more valuable than Kyrie. If healthy Kawhi to me is a top 3 player under 30 to build around. If he somehow becomes available and we don’t pursue him, I don’t think we’ll find a better opportunity.

But no, I wouldn’t trade both the first pick and Jackson for him. I would trade either, but not both.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Got it. Also I didn't necessarily mean the first overall pick, just our first pick. I don't think I'd include Jackson and the first overall pick either, unless we had a way to use our remaining assets to add another foundational piece.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Good ol' Memphis trailing 21-6 in the 1st quarter.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

EDC

Post by EDC »

The Bobster wrote:Good ol' Memphis trailing 21-6 in the 1st quarter.
They fucking sat Gasol for "rest purposes". I don't care if we did it last season it still pisses me off. :)

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:Got it. Also I didn't necessarily mean the first overall pick, just our first pick. I don't think I'd include Jackson and the first overall pick either, unless we had a way to use our remaining assets to add another foundational piece.
Ah, I misread it sorry. If our pick is #1-3 overall (Doncic Ayton Bagley), I value it much more than 4 and beyond.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Kawhi doesn't do it for me. I think he's overrated a bit....THAT'S RIGHT I SAID IT!

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Memphis now trailing 99-53 with 4:03 remaining in the 3rd.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Charlotte 112, Memphis 57 after 3 quarters.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Memphis sharing their pain with the Suns.
"Be Legendary."

EDC

Post by EDC »

The Bobster wrote:Charlotte 112, Memphis 57 after 3 quarters.
114 - 57 now. They doubled them up.

What was our worst loss this season?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Somebody need to let Memphis know that you can only get one loss per game.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

ShelC wrote:Kawhi doesn't do it for me. I think he's overrated a bit....THAT'S RIGHT I SAID IT!
Go Suns!

Og Snus!