Around the League: Week 23 3/19-3/25

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
TOO

Re: Around the League: Week 23 3/19-3/25

Post by TOO »

ShelC wrote:Kawhi doesn't do it for me. I think he's overrated a bit....THAT'S RIGHT I SAID IT!
Those guys who are literally good at everything on the basketball court are generally overrated, makes sense.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:Kawhi doesn't do it for me. I think he's overrated a bit....THAT'S RIGHT I SAID IT!
The most ridiculous statement I’ve ever seen !

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I think a lot of people feel that Kawhi is a great player for Popovic, and would be a pretty good player for another coach.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Memphis heard that the Suns are the worst team and tonight said, "Here, hold my beer."
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

carey

Post by carey »

Sacramento had to close the arena because of protests tonight. Apparently they still played the game: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 451794002/
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

carey wrote:Sacramento had to close the arena because of protests tonight. Apparently they still played the game: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 451794002/
Not to make light of a serious situation, but who really wanted to watch the Kings and Hawks anyway?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

The way this year has payed out, along with the fact that he only has one year left on his deal, scares me a little when it comes to trading for Kawhi. I mean, under normal circumstances, I'd go all in for him. But part of me wonders if he's angling to get out of SA and if so if he already has a preferred destination in mind (which probably wouldn't be Phoenix).

I'd offer Jackson for him or the 1st rounder if it falls out of the top 4, but not both.

Split T

Post by Split T »

New Orleans goes an impressive 4-1 on their 5 games in 6 nights, including 3-0 on their back to back to back. Only loss was by 6 points to the rockets.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

I would be careful if/when dealing for Kawhi. Obviously NBA GMs have better info but to me it looks like he is healthy and doesn't want to play. Which is strange and concerning.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ha, you're crazy.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Heard/read his uncle is the problem and has been in his ear about money and his health. If that's the case, hard pass.

I get why people like him, but I don't see him as a 1A franchise type. We have Booker for that on offense, and we drafted Jackson to (hopefully) be the A+ defender who can also score and distribute. Is Leonard going to change a franchise like Harden or Durant? I don't see it.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

I think Leonard would be worth it as a player... but he'd be a one year rental. He's got a player option for 19-20, and I can't imagine him sticking around for this S**tshow.

Suns just need to focus on getting Knight off the books, and waiting a year for Dudley and Chandler to come off of it.

The only untouchable player on the roster is Booker. Even Jackson can go. The TPA rating system says he's been the second worst player in the NBA this year. PER and RPM also say he's been pretty bad. (RPM puts him at 491st out of 507). I would strongly consider using one or two of our draft picks to dump Knight for an expiring.

I wouldn't bring Payton back for much. $5m/yr is as high as I'd go. He's been really bad since the all-star break. Not Ulis bad, but bad.

https://nbamath.com/2017-18-nba-tpa/

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/ ... 3/sort/RPM

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Wormwood wrote:I think Leonard would be worth it as a player... but he'd be a one year rental. He's got a player option for 19-20, and I can't imagine him sticking around for this S**tshow.

Suns just need to focus on getting Knight off the books, and waiting a year for Dudley and Chandler to come off of it.

The only untouchable player on the roster is Booker. Even Jackson can go. The TPA rating system says he's been the second worst player in the NBA this year. PER and RPM also say he's been pretty bad. (RPM puts him at 491st out of 507). I would strongly consider using one or two of our draft picks to dump Knight for an expiring.

I wouldn't bring Payton back for much. $5m/yr is as high as I'd go. He's been really bad since the all-star break. Not Ulis bad, but bad.

I agree that the Suns shouldn't have any interest in Leonard because he's not staying here. Also that the Suns need to exercise some patience and wait for Knight, Chandler and Dudley to come off the books (actually you can throw Chriss and Len on that list too).

The only thing I would disagree with you on is that any player is available in the right deal. It's just that the price for Jackson should be high and the price for Booker even higher. But let's not make the mistake of thinking that Booker is going to be a transcendent player - he's very talented offensively and may turn into one of the best scorers in the league, but he's not an Anthony Davis, a Giannis Antetokounmpo or a Karl Anthony-Towns.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

For me it's hard to quantify these numbers based of the lack of talent on the roster, the coach/system/style, and the fact that we're actively tanking. I can't see Jackson being that bad. Payton could be a guy who puts up numbers on losing teams so I wouldn't break the bank for him. I'd honestly go to Booker and get evaluations on guys from him. If he thinks he and Payton can be a force in the backcourt, I'd go with a shorter term deal for 2-3 years averaging 12mil or so to see what they can do.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I haven't been impressed with Payton at all. I like Jackson, but still worry about him. I don't trust his jump shot yet, and his defense hasn't been anywhere near the lockdown as advertised. I do question the "worst player in the nba" label though, as he has been much improved since January.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Jackson's defense has been pretty good for an out of control rookie who always gets the hardest assignment.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Wormwood wrote:I think Leonard would be worth it as a player... but he'd be a one year rental. He's got a player option for 19-20, and I can't imagine him sticking around for this S**tshow.

Obviously you trade for him with the intention of signing an extension. If he doesn’t agree to it then you don’t pull the trigger for

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I would give up any asset on this team other than Booker to get Kawhi. But isn't he a UFA? Why not just try to get him to sign here outright? Why trade for him when you could get him without giving up any assets? I know having him on our roster would give us an inside track for FA negotiations, but is that really worth very much? Just let him sit in SA and let that relationship deteriorate, wait till he announces that he wants out, then swoop in and try to convince him to come here and be a cornerstone of a rising young team with Booker, (say) Ayton/Bagley/whomever, and so on.

Split T

Post by Split T »

He can become an ufa in the summer of 2019 if he declines his player option. He is eligible for an extension this summer.

Split T

Post by Split T »

76ers crushing the wolves right now. They're a real threat in the East, especially if they can get that 3 seed. They could get Boston in round 2 before Kyrie is fully clicking. Then face the Toronto/Cleveland winner in the East finals