Suns News: Week 24 3/26-4/1

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Suns News: Week 24 3/26-4/1

Post by ShelC »

I'm typically skeptical of players giving endorsements of coaches. Would Booker really come out and speak negatively about his current coach to the media? Plus players are always worried about being labeled a "coach killer". And remember, these guys apparently raved about Watson. I think it's important to get input from your star/franchise player, but sometimes players don't know what they need/want. Iverson hated Larry Brown because of his 3 hour practices and style of play but once Brown was gone, realized how great a coach he was when guys like Ayers, Ford and O'Brien were on the bench.

I have a few issues with going after a college coach, even one as successful as Wright:

You're going to have to pay a lot for a guy who's unproven at the pro level and who's style in college may not even translate to the NBA. Billy Donovan, for example, coached and won with guys like David Lee, Noah, Horford (among others) up front at Florida. Villanova typically plays small and fast in college,with smaller players all around. You need to know how to coach and play thru bigs in the NBA.

With a college coach, you'll need some serious veteran NBA assistants who know the teams and players because a college coach won't be up to speed in his first season in terms of scouting and personnel. Can we provide that on the bench? It's different than getting a veteran NBA coach and having a younger staff to relate/work with players.

With the kind of salary a guy like Wright may command, there are going to be expectations that this team/roster may not be able to live up to right away which will only add to the pressure. Donovan had a team with Westbrook, Durant and Ibaka that was already successful and could win right away. He, and Stevens, also had solid, competent front offices that had their vision and backing from ownership. Presti and Ainge weren't going anywhere. Can the same be said of McD?

Finally, if Wright stumbles or doesn't work out, it's another wasted season for the team and for Booker. Now this can be said of any coach we hire but if we at least get a proven NBA coach who's coached and won with superstars, at least there's some credibility we can fall back on.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I share a lot of your concerns, Shel. That's why I picked an experienced NBA coach in the poll. It will be very interesting to see how it plays out.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

A couple more former Suns, player Charlie Scott and executive Rick Welts were named for induction to the Hall of Fame today.

A pretty large group of Suns this year with Nash, Hill, Kidd and now Scott and Welts.

They join Connie Hawkins (1992), Gail Goodrich (1996), Jerry Colangelo (2004), Charles Barkley (2006), Gus Johnson (2010), Dennis Johnson (2010) and Shaquille O'Neal (2016). Hopefully we'll see Paul Westphal and Kevin Johnson sometime soon since both have been finalists in the past.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Cap

Post by Cap »

I never really thought of Scott as a HOFer. I’m guessing it’s more for college and the ABA than his time as a Sun.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

None of these HoFers got to end their career as a Sun. You can argue that we were wise to trade some of these guys away, but it's telling that we burn so many bridges with players and execs who end up being lauded as great ones. The departure of Welts was particularly embarrassing because it seems likely it was related to Sarver's discomfort about his being gay.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Hill ended his career with the Suns

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:Hill ended his career with the Suns
I thought he went to the LA Clippers for one last year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Hill

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Split T wrote:Hill ended his career with the Suns
I thought he went to the LA Clippers for one last year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Hill
Hmm, I guess I forgot about that. My bad

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:None of these HoFers got to end their career as a Sun. You can argue that we were wise to trade some of these guys away, but it's telling that we burn so many bridges with players and execs who end up being lauded as great ones. The departure of Welts was particularly embarrassing because it seems likely it was related to Sarver's discomfort about his being gay.
Or maybe not -

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/6948 ... ts-resigns
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Bobster wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:None of these HoFers got to end their career as a Sun. You can argue that we were wise to trade some of these guys away, but it's telling that we burn so many bridges with players and execs who end up being lauded as great ones. The departure of Welts was particularly embarrassing because it seems likely it was related to Sarver's discomfort about his being gay.
Or maybe not -

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/6948 ... ts-resigns
I mean, Welts isn't stupid. He didn't want a public spat with a powerful owner that could have tarnished his reputation. But it's quite interesting that just a few months after he came out, he resigned. There was a lot of rumor at the time that Sarver wasn't thrilled that Welts came out as gay.
The Suns felt a lot of heat last year for taking a political stance against 1070 and wearing “Los Suns” jerseys in a playoff game.

One executive with another local team — who asked not to be identified — said a second May of the Suns finding themselves in an off-court, hot-button issue could bother some fans and sponsors if Welts’ personal story turns into a political or cultural campaign.

“The timing here is interesting because, such figures usually come out after their career, largely because its an industry rife with homophobia,” Felice said of Welts coming out Sunday.
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/blo ... other.html

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Welts had apparently had a relationship end because he wouldn't come out publicly and may very well have chosen to be more open in the new relationship he moved to Northern California for.

We've got enough stupidity to pin on Sarver without giving him blame for things that are conjecture.
Last edited by The Bobster on Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Interesting comparison:

17.9/3.2/3.4 shooting .423/.343/.840
18.2/6.4/2.2 shooting .421/.259/.622

Top one is Booker per 36 as a rookie, bottom is Jackson. Booker was obviously the better shooter, but Jackson outrebounds him and also adds 1.4 steals to 0.8 steals.

Post all star, Jackson is:
21.2/7.0/3.0 and shooting 46% per36 (also adds 1.8 steals)

Booker was:
19.5/3.1/4.2 and shot 40% per36

Jackson might be special.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Cap wrote:I never really thought of Scott as a HOFer. I’m guessing it’s more for college and the ABA than his time as a Sun.
Scott averaged 24.8 ppg as a Sun on some mediocre teams, and started in the backcourt on a championship Celtic team.
He represented the Suns in three straight NBA All-Star Games.

And he averaged 30.6 ppg with the Virginia Squires in the ABA.

One might say he had a notable, if varied, pro experience.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Split T wrote:Interesting comparison:

Top one is Booker per 36 as a rookie, bottom is Jackson. Booker was obviously the better shooter, but Jackson outrebounds him and also adds 1.4 steals to 0.8 steals.

Booker was:

Jackson has shown he can get to the basket and score, now he has to develop a dependable shot and take better care of the ball. He's also shown that he has all the tools to be an impact player defensively.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:Welts had apparently had a relationship because he wouldn't come out publicly and may very well have chosen to be more open in the new relationship he moved to Northern California for.

We've got enough stupidity to pin on Sarver without giving him blame for things that are conjecture.
Yep and this is the first time I have heard that conjecture.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
The Bobster wrote:Welts had apparently had a relationship because he wouldn't come out publicly and may very well have chosen to be more open in the new relationship he moved to Northern California for.

Yep and this is the first time I have heard that conjecture.
I remember that conjecture from the time. But it doesn't change the fact that you don't need a special reason to be uncomfortable working for Sarver.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:Interesting comparison:

Booker was:

It sure looks that way lately.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

https://twitter.com/BrightSideSun/status/980202945831567360

jonh

Post by jonh »

carey

Post by carey »

I was wondering who the jokester would be today. Lol.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!