Suns News: Week 24 3/26-4/1

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Suns News: Week 24 3/26-4/1

Post by carey »

My 2nd to last weekly news thread. This may have been the hardest year to motivate myself every week because we are so damn awful.

Last Week's Games

vs. Detroit LOSS 115-98
@ Cleveland LOSS 120-95
@ Orlando LOSS 105-99

This Week's Games

Monday, March 26th vs. Boston 10:00 PM EST NBATv
Wednesday, March 28th vs. L.A. Clippers 10:00 PM EST
Friday, March 30th @ Houston 8:00 PM EST
Sunday, April 1st @ Golden State 8:30 PM EST

Suns Stories

NBA mock draft: Phoenix Suns options narrowing for top pick in 2018 NBA draft? - https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 458799002/
(All listed have us taking Bagley, Doncic or Ayton.)

Suns in line for #1? https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 951708001/

Locked On Suns Sunday: Orlando and Cleveland losses reignite Chriss-Bender debate - https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2018 ... odcast-nba

Center of the Sun: 19-55 Phoenix Suns losing streak back up to 11 - https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2018 ... k-up-to-11
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Re: Suns News: Week 24 3/26-4/1

Post by O_Gardino »

It will be just like the Sarvuns to finally get the #1 pick in a year when there's no consensus #1 pick and we pass up a couple of HOF players to take a guy at a position of need.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

O_Gardino wrote:It will be just like the Sarvuns to finally get the #1 pick in a year when there's no consensus #1 pick and we pass up a couple of HOF players to take a guy at a position of need.

I’m not worried about there not being a consensus #1. I don’t think that is meant in a bad way like some other years where the talent pool just sucks. I think it speaks more to Doncic Ayton and Bagley all being #1 overall worthy players, who probably would each go first overall in any other year

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:NBA mock draft: Phoenix Suns options narrowing for top pick in 2018 NBA draft? - https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 458799002/
(All listed have us taking Bagley, Doncic or Ayton.)
Carey, as always, we appreciate you slogging around the internet to find these articles. It's not easy to find anything worth saying about this team.

Since all I've done for a couple of weeks is bitch, I'll share my mocking of the mock draft here. There are some real gems of logic and basketball knowledge. There's some good stuff in there, too, and I didn't even make fun of 2 of the articles. I especially liked the take from heavy.com, and will visit their site to see what it's all about.
CBS Sports: Suns land F Marvin Bagley III, Duke, at No. 1 ---- If his ceiling is a supersized Andrew Wiggins, that's pretty damn good.
Whelp, I don't need to read anything else from CBS Sports ever again.
CBS Sports: Suns go with C Deandre Ayton, Arizona, at No. 2 ---- His 7-5 wingspan allows him to alter shots at the rim and even away from the basket -- meaning he's not just an offensive weapon.
Oh, look. Here's CBS Sports with another mock draft from a baseball fan.
Chicago Sun Times: Suns select F Marvin Bagley III, Duke, at No. 1 ---- Bagley hasn’t even looked like the best player on his team, but...
But you think he's the #1 pick?
fansided.com: Suns pick PG Luka Doncic, Real Madrid, at No. 1 ---- He is one of the only players in the draft who would allow them to play Devin Booker and Josh Jackson together.
Ayton, Bagley, Bamba, JJJ, Trae Young, OMG there area a lot of guys in this draft who more likely to share time with both Booker and Jackson.
Dime Magazine: Suns select C Deandre Ayton, Arizona, at No. 1 ---- Taking Ayton is a no-brainer if he’s still there.
Is there a chance he's gone at #1? Like, will Popovic get an honorary pick before the draft starts?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Lmao that last quote.

carey

Post by carey »

O_Gardino wrote:
Dime Magazine: Suns select C Deandre Ayton, Arizona, at No. 1 ---- Taking Ayton is a no-brainer if he’s still there.
Is there a chance he's gone at #1? Like, will Popovic get an honorary pick before the draft starts?
10/10 would laugh again. :lol:
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

Bagley and Wiggins comparison is odd. Also, I HATE Wiggins' game, so ewwwwww.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Bagley and Wiggins comparison is odd. Also, I HATE Wiggins' game, so ewwwwww.
That may be the worst comparison I’ve ever seen lol

TOO

Post by TOO »

I still see Beasley. Athletic, high effort, but no real semblance of an offensive or defensive game. It's probably because he's a lefty.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I still see B*****y. Athletic, high effort, but no real semblance of an offensive or defensive game. It's probably because he's a lefty.
Valid concerns to me

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Geeez
Changed devices and couldn't find my password smh lol. Been reading along as a guest

https://twitter.com/sbordow/status/978334353661952007

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

In case anyone's wondering what E**l W****n's up to these days

https://twitter.com/SLAMonline/status/978363792072609792

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:In case anyone's wondering what E**l W****n's up to these days
Character is shown by the company you keep.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Shouldnt Lonzo be trying to learn how to make a jumpshot and not being part of some player selection committee?

carey

Post by carey »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I still see Beasley. Athletic, high effort, but no real semblance of an offensive or defensive game. It's probably because he's a lefty.
Interesting. Beasley took a lot of jump shots, even in college. He also absolutely fucking dominated college opposition. I think he scored like 26 ppg & pulled down like 12 rpg. He also went toe to toe with Griffin in a classic game once.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Can someone with ESPN Insider give us a summary of this article? Pretty please.

What moves can and should the Suns make in the offseason?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The old Nashster has started taking his Youtube Channel seriously. Looks like he's going to be updating more or less weekly.

https://www.youtube.com/user/stevenash/videos

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

fivethirtyeight.com has Houston as 23.5 point favorites over the Suns Friday. I think I would probably still take Houston.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

O_Gardino wrote:Can someone with ESPN Insider give us a summary of this article? Pretty please.

Basically their belief is that the Suns should hold off on the Booker extension for a year to preserve cap space for 2019, and that any incoming coach should ask the following four questions before taking the job -

What is the commitment from ownership?
Why am I different from previous head coaches let go?
What are the expectations with the roster?
Do I have a role in personnel decisions?

They also question whether the coaching instability is to blame for the lack development of young players and state that the hiring of Watson set the franchise back a couple of years.

Also, if the Suns do want to sign a free agent in the 2018 offseason the most likely victims will be Len, Payton and Williams in order to make cap space (Unless you feel that anyone choosing to sign here next year is the real victim). But in order to have real cap space in 2018 they would have to move Chandler or Dudley without taking back any salary in return (not likely!).
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The Bobster wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:Can someone with ESPN Insider give us a summary of this article? Pretty please.

Basically their belief is that the Suns should hold off on the Booker extension for a year to preserve cap space for 2019, and that any incoming coach should ask the following four questions before taking the job -

What is the commitment from ownership?
Why am I different from previous head coaches let go?
What are the expectations with the roster?
Do I have a role in personnel decisions?

They also question whether the coaching instability is to blame for the lack development of young players and state that the hiring of Watson set the franchise back a couple of years.

Also, if the Suns do want to sign a free agent in the 2018 offseason the most likely victims will be Len, Payton and Williams in order to make cap space (Unless you feel that anyone choosing to sign here next year is the real victim). But in order to have real cap space in 2018 they would have to move Chandler or Dudley without taking back any salary in return (not likely!).
Thanks!

It is getting harder and harder for Sarver to hire.