Around the League: Week 24 3/26-4/1

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Hermen

Re: Around the League: Week 24 3/26-4/1

Post by Hermen »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Sixers are snakebitten. Lot of nice young talent on that roster, but they seem to have the injury curse every year. Would be scary to be a Sixers fan with the emotional ups and downs.
At least they have ups :-)

Cap

Post by Cap »

Hermen wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Sixers are snakebitten. Lot of nice young talent on that roster, but they seem to have the injury curse every year. Would be scary to be a Sixers fan with the emotional ups and downs.
At least they have ups :-)
They’ll always have 1983.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

That's my boy, Ntilikina playing the best pick and roll defense in the league! Welcome to the NBA, Markel!

Bad jokes aside, SHIIIIIITTTT! So many injuries this season.

Get well soon, Joel. We can't wait to see you in the playoffs.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I'm always reading content on Player's Tribune. Thought I would post this as Jay Wright been a popular topic here

https://twitter.com/PlayersTribune/status/980154395991080960

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I can't figure out how Ryan can identify the 5 spot as a position where we need help, but then not acquire Willy Hernangomez who gets moved for a a 2nd rounder. At least we got Payton. :roll:
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:I can't figure out how Ryan can identify the 5 spot as a position where we need help, but then not acquire Willy Hernangomez who gets moved for a a 2nd rounder. At least we got Payton. :roll:
All I can see there is maybe he thought he'd be redundant with Sauce. I don't know.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:I can't figure out how Ryan can identify the 5 spot as a position where we need help, but then not acquire Willy Hernangomez who gets moved for a a 2nd rounder. At least we got Payton. :roll:
Absolutely agree. Willy was an opportunity we should have pursued. If at the deadline there was a decision on where to spend that second rounder, Willy should have been the one instead of Payton.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

You really can't figure it out by now?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Willy Hernangomez is not good.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The Spurs are doing their annual playoff warmups. They've won 8 of the last 10, and 7 of those wins are against playoff teams. I don't think they are a real threat in the West, but whoever gets them in the first round (OKC?) had better be ready.

Who had Portland at #3 in the West? Not me.

The Pelicans have dropped 4 in a row, all against playoff teams. I'm rooting for AD and Gentry, but that team just doesn't have the players to compete. If they do make the playoffs, I think they get swept with Davis averaging 40/15. They are 1 game ahead of Denver, with 2 games left against bad teams.

Denver has been playing tough, going 4-3 in fairly competitive games against playoff teams. They won 2 overtime games over the weekend. They close the season with 5 games against tough teams.

The Jazz continue to push, and could actually pass OKC for the privilege of playing the Spurs in the first round. They absolutely killed the Wolves last night.

Detroit is seeing success again now that they are too far behind to make the playoffs. And Griffin is out probably for the rest of the season with a bruise.

Washington is reeling. 6-10. They have dropped 2 playoff spots, and could drop all the way to 8th if they don;t turn it around.

Cleveland has a pretty soft schedule to close out the season, and they are using it to build some momentum. 8-2 in the last 10, mostly against weak teams with some more weak teams ahead. If they don't handle the Raps/Wiz/6ers, they could drop to 4th in the East. It will be interesting to see how they adjust to the intensity of the playoffs. I honestly hope they get eliminated in the first round.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

He's got a high bball IQ and is really skilled offensively. Not much on defense but a good young center. Better than what we currently have that's for sure.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

So he's Monroe, except he can't get minutes on 2 different fairly mediocre teams?

WH is an interesting prospect, but he hasn't shown anything in 2 season's in the NBA that he didn't show before the draft. He's no better than a guy you could pick up in the second round this summer, and he's on a (small) guaranteed contract, so he costs us 3 million even if we don't want to bring him back. It wouldn't make sense to give him minutes that are currently going to Williams, Chriss, and Bender. It makes more sense to keep the pick (and the cash), and get someone in the second round this summer when Len will be gone and we might actually need some depth at the 5.

On the other hand we were desperate for a PG to keep Ulis and company off the floor. As bad as Payton has been, he was a HUGE upgrade from the rest of our roster, and we are under no obligation to keep him this summer.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think that's a little harsh. Have you seen him play?

The last 3 months of last season he averaged 12/9/3 in 24 minutes. He fell out of the rotation early in the year once Hornacek went with KOQ and Kanter up front and the Knicks started winning. But it was supposed to be the year he got major minutes and became a part of the Knicks core. Kanter puts up gaudy numbers but doesn't play D and KOQ is a nice role player but not necessarily part of the future. Knicks gon' Knicks. Getting traded mid-season isn't easy and Clifford is a defensive coach who flat out told Willy he wouldn't get time until he defense improved. Did the same with Monk.

I think he's better than a guy you can pick up in the 2nd round this summer, I think he's better than Chriss and Bender and can legitimately play the 5 spot. We could've gone into next season with a nice prospect, a 2 year "vet" who's still only 24 years old.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Man y’all love yourselves some shitty players. Willy Herns, Danuel House and company. I have no interest in any of these marginal pieces.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:Man y’all love yourselves some s*** players. Willy Herns, Danuel House and company. I have no interest in any of these marginal pieces.
You should like them. They're inexpensive. ;)
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
specialsauce wrote:Man y’all love yourselves some s*** players. Willy Herns, Danuel House and company. I have no interest in any of these marginal pieces.
You should like them. They're inexpensive. ;)

Lol. At least there’s that.