Game Day: Clippers (40-34) @ Suns (19-56), Wed 3/28/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Game Day: Clippers (40-34) @ Suns (19-56), Wed 3/28/18

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:The only chance Houston let's Capela go is if LeBron is coming.
Even then, it doesn't make sense for them because releasing Capela doesn't get them below the cap and space to sign LeBron.

Which roster would you rather have?

Doncic, Booker, JJ, Love, Jordan with Bender, Williams, Harrison, Ulis, Daniels off the bench

Or

Young, Booker, George, Love/Gordon, Ayton with Ulis, Harrison, House, JJ, Bender, Williams off the bench
The 2nd one, but there's no way we could put that team together. Adding Ayton and Trae in the draft and somehow having the assets to get Kevin Love and then sign Paul George?
We're giving up TJ Warren, so...
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:The only chance Houston let's Capela go is if LeBron is coming.
Even then, it doesn't make sense for them because releasing Capela doesn't get them below the cap and space to sign LeBron.

Which roster would you rather have?

Doncic, Booker, JJ, Love, Jordan with Bender, Williams, Harrison, Ulis, Daniels off the bench

Or

Young, Booker, George, Love/Gordon, Ayton with Ulis, Harrison, House, JJ, Bender, Williams off the bench
The 2nd one, but there's no way we could put that team together. Adding Ayton and Trae in the draft and somehow having the assets to get Kevin Love and then sign Paul George?
They have a few of assets:
Milwaukee '18? pick
Miami '18 pick
Phx '19 pick
Phx '18 2nd round pick possibly 1st in the 2nd round #31
Miami '21 pick
Chriss
Warren
Expiring deals:
Len and Payton this year?(not sure if that works, but maybe if it's before the draft?)
Dudley
Chandler
Daniels

I think it may be possible to move up with those assets and even do another trade, but I could be wrong.

It would take at least both mid 1sts and probably another asset to get high enough to draft Trae. We'll say Trae drops and we move up with just both mid 1sts. Is Warren/Chriss and our 2019 1st plus the 2021 Miami pick enough to get Love? If LeBron leaves, then maybe.

That gives us:

Knight at 14.6 million
Chandler at 13.6 million
Dudley at 9.5 million
Jackson at 6 million
Williams at 5.5 million
Bender at 4.6 million
Booker at 3.3 million
Daniels at 3.2 million
Ulis at 1.5 million
Reed at 1.4 million

Plus
Ayton at 5.8 million
Trae at 2.7 million
Love at 24.1 million

That totals 99.7 million and leaves us with zero cap space and no way to sign Paul George.

Stretch and waive Knight and that frees up 9 million. Waive Williams and that adds another 5.5 million. If you can get someone to just take Chandler off our hands we could have 28 million in cap space, which is still a few million short of a max offer for George.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Just for the record, I have 0% interest in Paul George. If I could have less than 0, I would.

I chose the Doncic/Booker/JJ group over the other one, easily. DJ would have a field day with 3 perimeter players who could switch and let DJ roam defensively and on offense, the lobs man, the lobs.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Just for the record, I have 0% interest in Paul George. If I could have less than 0, I would.

I chose the Doncic/Booker/JJ group over the other one, easily. DJ would have a field day with 3 perimeter players who could switch and let DJ roam defensively and on offense, the lobs man, the lobs.
I put George in because he theoretically provides better 3 point shooting and defense than Warren.

You could decide to not trade for Love or Gordon and just call the Lakers bluff and offer a big contract to Randle to mess up their plans on bringing him back while getting two max players.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don't think there is anything theoretical about it. George is an elite defender and 3 pt shooter. Warren is bad at both. Not sure why TOO is so opposed to George, we have zero chance at getting him, but I'd take him in a heartbeat.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I’d rather go with Josh Jackson than PG honestly. I think the improvement we’d make as a team from JJ—> PG is much less than spending that money to improve at the 1,4 or 5. We are much more deficient at those spots.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don't think it would have to be either or. Just take both. But it doesn't matter, George is not coming here

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:I don't think there is anything theoretical about it. George is an elite defender and 3 pt shooter. Warren is bad at both. Not sure why TOO is so opposed to George, we have zero chance at getting him, but I'd take him in a heartbeat.
I think he's an elite defender like Bledsoe was a supposed elite defender. Steals, that's all they do. And George hasn't exactly helped OKC look any better since he's been there, 2 most important pieces on that team are Russ and Adams. I really freaking hate PG. I think he's super mega overrated.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Paul George was always overrated. He's a 2nd star at best. Would rather have Jackson.

I would've taken Paul George last summer to give it one more go round with the veteran roster we had. Now I have no interest.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Paul George is great. He's making a huge impact in OKC. He would be great here, and we would be amazingly lucky to have him.

But he doesn't want to come here, and as others have said, we have other extremely urgent needs to fill. We already have Jackson and Warren at PG's spot. Our money is better spent upgrading other positions, not SF.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Paul George is great. He's making a huge impact in OKC. He would be great here, and we would be amazingly lucky to have him.

But he doesn't want to come here, and as others have said, we have other extremely urgent needs to fill. We already have Jackson and Warren at PG's spot. Our money is better spent upgrading other positions, not SF.
We may be using Warren as part of something to upgrade another position. As far as he doesn't want to come to Phx, has he said that?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I'll just say that OKC is winning the exact same number of games this season that they won last season.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:I'll just say that OKC is winning the exact same number of games this season that they won last season.
True, but they win more games then they should have last year based on scoring differential. And they've lost more games this year than they should have.

They had the 16th ranked offense last year, this year they are 8th. Defense is essentially the same and I'd guess it would be better if Roberson didn't get hurt.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Paul George is great. He's making a huge impact in OKC. He would be great here, and we would be amazingly lucky to have him.

Nah.

This guy has been talked up like he's a superstar for years, he's done nothing.

Split T

Post by Split T »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:

Nah.

The Paul George hate perplexes me, he's not in the Durant/LeBron/Kawhi tier of SF, but he's right there with Jimmy Butler in the next tier. I like Jimmy better, but it's close.

The guy puts up 20 plus a game, 6 boards, 3 assists, 2 steals, hits 40% of his 3's... How is that nothing?

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:

Nah.

The Paul George hate perplexes me, he's not in the Durant/LeBron/Kawhi tier of SF, but he's right there with Jimmy Butler in the next tier. I like Jimmy better, but it's close.

The guy puts up 20 plus a game, 6 boards, 3 assists, 2 steals, hits 40% of his 3's... How is that nothing?
Eric Bledsoe recently put up 20/5/5.. It's just stats that don't lead to anything. Empty numbers. He want's people to look at him like a superstar and he's not one. Indiana traded him and they are better, OKC traded for him, and they are not.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Split T wrote:

Nah.

Eric Bledsoe recently put up 20/5/5.. It's just stats that don't lead to anything. Empty numbers. He want's people to look at him like a superstar and he's not one. Indiana traded him and they are better, OKC traded for him, and they are not.
Indiana is better because oladipo made a massive leap and they added some other solid players, like collison and Sabonis who've played really well. And OKC is better than last year, but your entitled to your opinion.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nah.

I'm not saying he's a suoerstar, but would be a nice piece and could play 2-4 in spots.

TOO

Post by TOO »

In2ition wrote:

Nah.

I'm not saying he's a suoerstar, but would be a nice piece and could play 2-4 in spots.
a nice piece that would cost mega money. JJ has shown that he's on the right track, and I'd rather no do anything to take him off that trajectory

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:

Nah.

Yeah, it’s perplexing. I don’t love him. But I do see his value and I can see him as a top 3 player on a championship team. I just don’t like him for the Suns because we have JJ.