Game Day: Clippers (40-34) @ Suns (19-56), Wed 3/28/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Game Day: Clippers (40-34) @ Suns (19-56), Wed 3/28/18

Post by Split T »

I like Lavine, but I think his ideal role is Gerald Green on our 13-14 team. 3rd guard off the bench.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T wrote:I don't like Jackson and Warren together on the wings. That team still needs another shooter and I don't buy Warren developing into one by next season. I also don't think Bender will be ready to start next season, I know he's starting right now, but he shouldn't be.

Booker, Jackson, and whoever we draft top 4 are the 3 starting pieces next year. The other 2 should come from free agency/trades/draft picks.

Sidenote: it's really unfortunate Bender and Chriss were in such a bad draft. They'd be borderline lottery picks in last year's or this year's draft and we'd have a healthier viewpoint on their potential/future if we didn't look at them as high lotto picks. We took 2 of the rawest players from one of the weakest drafts this century. Maybe we should pretend they went 14/18 instead of 4/8.
Good post. Have we played a Booker, Jackson, Warren, Bender, Chriss/Len/Chandler lineup? Even with an Ayton/Bagley up front, I don't think it's a lineup you can go with every night for 82 games. You'd need a flex/motion type of offense and better shooting, especially in the frontcourt.

Also, I hope I'm wrong but I feel like this draft could end up like 2015. We finally get a top 2-3 pick and there's no homerun, generational talent than can really change this franchise. Maybe it's Ayton but are people really convinced? Bagley? Hell, even if Trae Young ends up being Steph Curry, he's no where near considered a top 2-3 pick now.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:I've been going through a lot of young guys I'd love to add to our core. I think most are probably not available, but you never know. Tell me what you think.

Guys I'd love:

Myles Turner - I think he'd pair beautifully in a front court if we draft Bagley. I don't see any reason Indy would move him though.

Dario Saric - Is already what we hope Bender becomes. Philly has no reason to move him though, maybe if they sign Lebron.

Randle/Gordon/Parker - None are great fits, but all are very talented and very available as restricted free agents.

Frank Ntilikina - Heard a crazy stat that he's the best pick and roll defender in the league right now. Don't see him as available, but what if we drop to 4 or 5 and we trade down with NY at 9 and pick up Frank?

I still love Fultz too, but he's not available.

Any other young guys out there we might have a shot at?

Ntilikina is almost untouchable, but you never know with New York. I would be very tempted to do the trade you propose. You could end up with Mikal or Carter or Bamba at 9.

Edit: of the other guys, I like Randal the best. Not sure what his role would be here, though.
Last edited by O_Gardino on Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:Frank Ntilikina - Heard a crazy stat that he's the best pick and roll defender in the league right now. Don't see him as available, but what if we drop to 4 or 5 and we trade down with NY at 9 and pick up Frank?
Put that on top of leading the league in assists one day and yowser! ;)
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Split T wrote:I don't like Jackson and Warren together on the wings. That team still needs another shooter and I don't buy Warren developing into one by next season. I also don't think Bender will be ready to start next season, I know he's starting right now, but he shouldn't be.

Booker, Jackson, and whoever we draft top 4 are the 3 starting pieces next year. The other 2 should come from free agency/trades/draft picks.

Sidenote: it's really unfortunate Bender and Chriss were in such a bad draft. They'd be borderline lottery picks in last year's or this year's draft and we'd have a healthier viewpoint on their potential/future if we didn't look at them as high lotto picks. We took 2 of the rawest players from one of the weakest drafts this century. Maybe we should pretend they went 14/18 instead of 4/8.
Good post. Have we played a Booker, Jackson, Warren, Bender, Chriss/Len/Chandler lineup? Even with an Ayton/Bagley up front, I don't think it's a lineup you can go with every night for 82 games. You'd need a flex/motion type of offense and better shooting, especially in the frontcourt.

Also, I hope I'm wrong but I feel like this draft could end up like 2015. We finally get a top 2-3 pick and there's no homerun, generational talent than can really change this franchise. Maybe it's Ayton but are people really convinced? Bagley? Hell, even if Trae Young ends up being Steph Curry, he's no where near considered a top 2-3 pick now.
Do you mean 2014? 2015 had KAT and Kristaps. Okafor and Russell did go between them, but KAT looked like a pretty generational talent from the start.

2014 had some big time prospects (Wiggins, Parker, Gordon, Exum, Randle) that have been underwhelming. Embiid is the generational talent there, but he went 3, although I think he would have gone 1 if healthy.

I think there are 5 or 6 guys who could be generational talents in this draft, but every one has question marks in my mind. Some with fairly big ones. I think the chances are good that we see a future tier 1 superstar come out of this draft, I'm just not confident in who that is. Let's just hope we are the ones who take him.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:

I looked it up, we have not played Booker, Jackson, Warren, Bender, <BIG GUY> for significant minutes. He have played Booker, Jackson, Warren, Bender, ulis for 35 total minutes. We just haven't played Booker, Jackson, and Warren together much.

This definitely feels to me like a draft where the #1 pick turns out to be pretty good, while two or three other guys go to the HOF. I'm getting paranoid, though.

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Split T wrote:I've been going through a lot of young guys I'd love to add to our core. I think most are probably not available, but you never know. Tell me what you think.

Guys I'd love:

Myles Turner - I think he'd pair beautifully in a front court if we draft Bagley. I don't see any reason Indy would move him though.

Dario Saric - Is already what we hope Bender becomes. Philly has no reason to move him though, maybe if they sign Lebron.

Randle/Gordon/Parker - None are great fits, but all are very talented and very available as restricted free agents.

Frank Ntilikina - Heard a crazy stat that he's the best pick and roll defender in the league right now. Don't see him as available, but what if we drop to 4 or 5 and we trade down with NY at 9 and pick up Frank?

Ntilikina is almost untouchable, but you never know with New York. I would be very tempted to do the trade you propose. You could end up with Mikal or Carter or Bamba at 9.

Edit: of the other guys, I like Randal the best. Not sure what his role would be here, though.
NY is doing weird things with Ntilikina if they think he's untouchable. They should be tanking, yet they play guys like Mudiay, Trey Burke, and Jarret Jack over Ntilikina. Just seems strange.

As for Randle, he'd fit if we end up with a JJJ or Bamba in the draft. He's one of the best scorers in the paint as he just bulldozes everyone, but he's a non shooter and a non rim protector. Actually, trading #4 for #9 plus Ntilikina and then drafting Bamba and signing Randle could be interesting.

Ntilikina/Booker/Jackson/Randle/Bamba could be something. You're really counting on Bamba/Jackson/Ntilikina to develop as shooters though.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Well, Hornacek did this kind of stuff with Warren, too. Anything can happen in NY, but they have touted frank / Kristaps as the future all season. The rookie is still getting 24 minutes per game this month, although it's really up and down from game to game.

Yeah, love that lineup on paper IF those guys can become better shooters. Or if they play well enough together to increase their trade value.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Do you mean 2014? 2015 had KAT and Kristaps. Okafor and Russell did go between them, but KAT looked like a pretty generational talent from the start.

2014 had some big time prospects (Wiggins, Parker, Gordon, Exum, Randle) that have been underwhelming. Embiid is the generational talent there, but he went 3, although I think he would have gone 1 if healthy.

I think there are 5 or 6 guys who could be generational talents in this draft, but every one has question marks in my mind. Some with fairly big ones. I think the chances are good that we see a future tier 1 superstar come out of this draft, I'm just not confident in who that is. Let's just hope we are the ones who take him.
No sorry, I meant 2016 draft where we got Bender and Chriss. It was a weak draft overall. Simmons and Brown are studs, Dunn is making progress, Hield is showing signs, but all in all a "meh" draft. I think this draft has more talent throughout, but lacks a lot of top heavy talent in the lotto.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

Guys I'd love:

NY is doing weird things with Ntilikina if they think he's untouchable. They should be tanking, yet they play guys like Mudiay, Trey Burke, and Jarret Jack over Ntilikina. Just seems strange.

As for Randle, he'd fit if we end up with a JJJ or Bamba in the draft. He's one of the best scorers in the paint as he just bulldozes everyone, but he's a non shooter and a non rim protector. Actually, trading #4 for #9 plus Ntilikina and then drafting Bamba and signing Randle could be interesting.

Ntilikina/Booker/Jackson/Randle/Bamba could be something. You're really counting on Bamba/Jackson/Ntilikina to develop as shooters though.
The Knicks are trying to figure out what kind of player Frank is. Phil took him as his triangle PG - a bigger, longer defensive guard to initiate the offense ala Ron Harper, Brian Shaw and the like. He's not the franchise/traditional lead guard he was billed as and they scrapped the triangle, then signed THJ to 70 to be their 2guard so he was kind of stuck in between roles during the year. Trey Burke has emerged as a smaller, dynamic scoring guard so there may be something there with Burke and Frank in the backcourt cross matching defensively, but again, where does that leave their 70mil man THJ and is Burke really a guy you want to commit to with such a small sample size. I don't think Frank is untouchable, but I don't think they're giving him away either. He's got a lot of work to do on his jumper and if he's not going to be a traditional PnR point guard, he needs to find his niche as a plus defender at the PG/SG spot. He's shown flashes for sure and has very good instincts, but I don't think anyone knows what he turns into. Could be a guard version of the Greek Freak? Or is he a better version of Danny Green?

I love Randle's motor and all around skillset, but I think he needs the ball a lot to be effective. Not sure he's a #2 guy in that sense and he wouldn't help in spreading the floor, so you better have a 5 that can step out, like a Marc Gasol type.

I really like Saric's skillset but I can't see the Sixers letting him go. He fits right in with that positionless vision teams are trying to build. Between him and Simmons, that's a lot of size and skill on the floor.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
ShelC wrote:And if he ad Booker are handling and distributing enough to get 3-4-5 assists each, it takes the pressure off of having to find a PG to do everything for everyone and average 8-10 apg. Find a heady, athletic guard who can knock down shots and make the extra pass and now you've got a lot of balance on the perimeter.
I agree that we need another shooter (and competent team runner) rather than an all-out assists man like a Nash. Is that a guy we draft, or a guy we sign as an FA? Is that Avery Bradley? Trae Young?

Cap

Post by Cap »

O_Gardino wrote: This definitely feels to me like a draft where the #1 pick turns out to be pretty good, while two or three other guys go to the HOF. I'm getting paranoid, though.
Like Glenn Robinson over Jason Kidd and Grant Hill, with the Suns getting the Glenn Robinson of this draft?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
O_Gardino wrote: This definitely feels to me like a draft where the #1 pick turns out to be pretty good, while two or three other guys go to the HOF. I'm getting paranoid, though.
Like Glenn Robinson over Jason Kidd and Grant Hill, with the Suns getting the Glenn Robinson of this draft?
Yep. Or we get Bogut, and leave Chris Paul.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Last year was the draft to load up. Should've traded out of 2016 altogether for another lotto pick last year.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote: NY is doing weird things with Ntilikina if they think he's untouchable. They should be tanking, yet they play guys like Mudiay, Trey Burke, and Jarret Jack over Ntilikina. Just seems strange.
Yeah. There was already talk coming out of NY the front office/coaching staff had already given up on him as a point guard. They don't act like they're high on him. I still think you'd have to take on Noah to get him though.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

specialsauce wrote:
Superbone wrote:It's what we want, right?
Yes.

I went to the game tonight. Man absolutely nobody gave a s*** about the game. Loudest cheer of the night came for the dancing grannies. Shaq played well. Deandre Jordan came to the Suns bench coming out of a timeout and was hanging with Booker. A sign of bad things to come...
I keep coming back to this...are we afraid Booker has eyes on LA or that we'll make a play for Jordan? Jordan had that weird thing happen as a FA where he changed his mind and didn't want to leave LA. Has he grown out of that?

There were rumors of the Clips shopping him last summer and giving us a call. His deal is up after next season, same as when Booker would be a RFA and when Tyson's deal expires. I wouldn't be opposed to taking Doncic #1 and trading some combo of our 2 later picks and Chandler for DAJ. He's the brute rebounder and shotblocker you'd need at the rim if you're running Doncic, Booker, Jackson, Warren/Bender/Chriss.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Yes.

I went to the game tonight. Man absolutely nobody gave a s*** about the game. Loudest cheer of the night came for the dancing grannies. Shaq played well. Deandre Jordan came to the Suns bench coming out of a timeout and was hanging with Booker. A sign of bad things to come...
I keep coming back to this...are we afraid Booker has eyes on LA or that we'll make a play for Jordan? Jordan had that weird thing happen as a FA where he changed his mind and didn't want to leave LA. Has he grown out of that?

There were rumors of the Clips shopping him last summer and giving us a call. His deal is up after next season, same as when Booker would be a RFA and when Tyson's deal expires. I wouldn't be opposed to taking Doncic #1 and trading some combo of our 2 later picks and Chandler for DAJ. He's the brute rebounder and shotblocker you'd need at the rim if you're running Doncic, Booker, Jackson, Warren/Bender/Chriss.
The latter. I agree that it wouldn't be a bad combination with Doncic, Booker, and Jackson plus other FAs.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Yes.

The latter. I agree that it wouldn't be a bad combination with Doncic, Booker, and Jackson plus other FAs.
He is of a dying breed in this league and I want nothing to do with him at the cost he will demand. MLE, nothing more.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Yes.

He is of a dying breed in this league and I want nothing to do with him at the cost he will demand. MLE, nothing more.
Why are we as fans so concerned about cost? Let's let the owner and GM worry about that. That's a budgeting issue. I just want the best team we can put together.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Yes.

There were rumors of the Clips shopping him last summer and giving us a call. His deal is up after next season, same as when Booker would be a RFA and when Tyson's deal expires. I wouldn't be opposed to taking Doncic #1 and trading some combo of our 2 later picks and Chandler for DAJ. He's the brute rebounder and shotblocker you'd need at the rim if you're running Doncic, Booker, Jackson,
Warren/Bender/Chriss.
Why are we as fans so concerned about cost? Let's let the owner and GM worry about that. That's a budgeting issue. I just want the best team we can put together.
Because the salary cap exists. I’d rather spend that money elsewhere. I don’t like Gobert at a max contract, and I definitely don’t like Jordan or Drummond at anything close to the max. Same with Whiteside.