Game Day: Clippers (40-34) @ Suns (19-56), Wed 3/28/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
bajanguy008

Re: Game Day: Clippers (40-34) @ Suns (19-56), Wed 3/28/18

Post by bajanguy008 »

ShelC wrote:I think Booker is going to pull a mini-LeBron and say he's not signing an extension until he sees progress from the FO and roster. It'd be a huge gamble, but we are the Suns after all.
:? :?
There's a NBC article saying he sounds more like he's changing to taking a wait n see approach after originally saying he wants to be like the guys who play their whole career with one team
I said it was just speculation but maybe I'm in denial also
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
LazarusLong wrote:The era of the "aircraft carrier" alpha center is gone, given the uptempo NBA and importance of the trey.

It's good to have a player or two with low-post skills, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a center.
Yes. This. Thank you
Eh. I wouldn't paint with a broad stroke.

Take DeAndre Jordan. He is still a significant difference -maker. How on earth do you think the Clippers are still competing for a playoff spot? It isn't because of Austin Rivers. Jordan's defense, rebounding, and his ability to finish (including being able to run the court) are huge pluses for whatever team that has him.
You already know my position about this in our discussion about Gobert so I’ll just agree to disagree with you on this one!
I am not asking you to change your position on how much to pay these guys, but if you can't look at what's happening to the Clippers and see the difference Jordan is making, than I would question your ability to evaluate basketball.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
LazarusLong wrote:The era of the "aircraft carrier" alpha center is gone, given the uptempo NBA and importance of the trey.

It's good to have a player or two with low-post skills, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a center.
Yes. This. Thank you
Eh. I wouldn't paint with a broad stroke.

Take DeAndre Jordan. He is still a significant difference -maker. How on earth do you think the Clippers are still competing for a playoff spot? It isn't because of Austin Rivers. Jordan's defense, rebounding, and his ability to finish (including being able to run the court) are huge pluses for whatever team that has him.
You already know my position about this in our discussion about Gobert so I’ll just agree to disagree with you on this one!
I am not asking you to change your position on how much to pay these guys, but if you can't look at what's happening to the Clippers and see the difference Jordan is making, than I would question your ability to evaluate basketball.
Look, I agree that Jordan is a good player and is a main reason the Clippers are still a playoff team. I just think that is where a Jordan led team maxes out. He is a liability in crunch time offensively/FT shooting and I don’t see a team with Jordan at the salary he would command contending for a championship.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:I believe you could make a few more moves that will improve the team, besides Doncic and Jordan, but both of those improve both the offense and the defense next year. That's not even talking about improvements made by the rest of the young players over the summer(improving 3 pt shooting through work, ball handling, weight room, maturity) or the other draft picks or deals made.

I've seen tweets where fans are saying that the Suns wouldn't be able to sign Booker because of the cap if they give big money to a free agent. That's a complete misunderstanding of how the cap works. If the young Suns keep improving to the point that they are worth max or near max money, Sarver needs to do it and not fret about the cap. I assume that they should go over the cap to continue a winner, as I hope they turn into.
Do you think Doncic Booker Jackson Bender Jordan contends for a championship? Because if you sign Jordan, extend Booker and round out the roster with half decent role players, that’s it for any major FA signings. You won’t have cap space to go any further other than extending your own guys. If you don’t think that team contends (which I don’t) then it’s a huge mistake. You max out the wrong guy for you essentially lock yourself into mediocrity.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:I believe you could make a few more moves that will improve the team, besides Doncic and Jordan, but both of those improve both the offense and the defense next year. That's not even talking about improvements made by the rest of the young players over the summer(improving 3 pt shooting through work, ball handling, weight room, maturity) or the other draft picks or deals made.

I've seen tweets where fans are saying that the Suns wouldn't be able to sign Booker because of the cap if they give big money to a free agent. That's a complete misunderstanding of how the cap works. If the young Suns keep improving to the point that they are worth max or near max money, Sarver needs to do it and not fret about the cap. I assume that they should go over the cap to continue a winner, as I hope they turn into.
Do you think Doncic Booker Jackson Bender Jordan contends for a championship? Because if you sign Jordan, extend Booker and round out the roster with half decent role players, that’s it for any major FA signings. You won’t have cap space to go any further other than extending your own guys. If you don’t think that team contends (which I don’t) then it’s a huge mistake. You max out the wrong guy for you essentially lock yourself into mediocrity.
It really depends on how many of the young guys develop and other things that happen, and when you are talking about winning. It could work in a few years, but those guys would have to develop. You seem to think that Warren, the two other draft picks and any smaller important moves won't take place either. I could see other picks being important, trades being made, depth being built and others emerging as more important in the grand scheme of things. Bender probably won't start, and could eventually be a piece that could play down the stretch.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

It really depends on how many of the young guys develop and other things that happen, and when you are talking about winning. It could work in a few years, but those guys would have to develop. You seem to think that Warren, the two other draft picks and any smaller important moves won't take place either. I could see other picks being important, trades being made, depth being built and others emerging as more important in the grand scheme of things. Bender probably won't start, and could eventually be a piece that could play down the stretch.
You seem to be missing my point. I think the development of this team is independent of Jordan. You're tying them together. I am speaking of Jordan independently. Those things will happen whether he is on this team or not. I don't see Jordan as the missing piece to take us over the top, and I'd prefer to preserve that cap space for a player who I believe would take this team to a championship.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

You seem to be missing my point. I think the development of this team is independent of Jordan. You're tying them together. I am speaking of Jordan independently. Those things will happen whether he is on this team or not. I don't see Jordan as the missing piece to take us over the top, and I'd prefer to preserve that cap space for a player who I believe would take this team to a championship.
I'm not saying he is THE first choice, but as things don't fall into place he could be the missing piece. Besides, it could be that if you don't pay him if available and no one else becomes available, they won't have any money to spend anyway next year as Booker's extension kicks in, and possibly a trade is made with expiring contracts of Chandler and Dudley involved.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Say the Suns are able to draft Doncic, then trade Chriss, Chandler, Dudley and the Mia and Mil pick for Kevin Love and more outside shooting at the 4. You may need a back end rim protector and anchor on defense, but Harrell and Capela go back to their perspective teams and no one else is available in FA, I would be ecstatic to bring Jordan in on this team and have Williams and Bender coming off the bench.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think if we drafted Doncic, traded for Kevin Love, and signed DeAndre Jordan (along with signing whatever cheap veteran FAs we could), that would actually be a really interesting team. Love and Jordan counter each other's weaknesses pretty well; it'd allow us to move Bender to be our primary bench PF, which seems like a better fit for him for a year or two; we'd have a lot of interesting scoring and playmaking options in Doncic, Booker, Jackson, and Love. Would also like a coaching change if we make moves of that scale.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Would we be any different than the Clippers with Paul Redick Griffin and Jordan?

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I think if we drafted Doncic, traded for Kevin Love, and signed DeAndre Jordan (along with signing whatever cheap veteran FAs we could), that would actually be a really interesting team.
I see it like one or the another, specially with both Cleveland and LA demanding picks and young players, so I’m not sure we have the ammo and/or cap space to make it happen in a plausible way, but I agree that it would be really interesting to watch this team.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:Would we be any different than the Clippers with Paul Redick Griffin and Jordan?
Can't know for sure, but with Doncic/Booker/Love we'd have better spacing than LA did. And is being the clippers a bad thing? They were really good, arguably a top 3 or 4 team in the league. Would just need a little luck or to be a little better and you could win a championship.

I'm not really in favor of pursuing Jordan, but if our roster at the start of the year was Doncic/Booker/Jackson/Love/Jordan with whoever else we sign/keep on the bench I wouldn't hate it and I'd stay optimistic and I think I'd enjoy that team.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:Would we be any different than the Clippers with Paul Redick Griffin and Jordan?
Can't know for sure, but with Doncic/Booker/Love we'd have better spacing than LA did. And is being the clippers a bad thing? They were really good, arguably a top 3 or 4 team in the league. Would just need a little luck or to be a little better and you could win a championship.

I'm not really in favor of pursuing Jordan, but if our roster at the start of the year was Doncic/Booker/Jackson/Love/Jordan with whoever else we sign/keep on the bench I wouldn't hate it and I'd stay optimistic and I think I'd enjoy that team.

I would definitely enjoy watching our team with your proposed lineup. We would win a lot of games and make the playoffs each year. Just not sure that lineup has what it takes to win it all and wouldn’t have any money left for any significant role players.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Doncic/Booker/JJ/Love/Jordan would win 50 games outta the gate, no doubt in my mind. That would be such a massive step up from what we trot out nightly
Jones and Vogel out, Lue or Lee in, draft Tyler Kolek.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That's a valid question. Some of the main differences I can see:

- We wouldn't have a ball-dominant PG but would instead rely on several guys to jointly run the offense (Doncic, Booker, Jackson). This might decrease Jordan's number of lobs/offensive plays, but I don't think we would be counting on Jordan for any offense really.

- We would have hopefully more/better shooting in our starting lineup from Doncic, Booker, and Love. The Lob City Clips needed more shooting and relied too much on Redick as their one ace shooter.

- We would have a stud SG that the Clips didn't have, in Booker. Redick was a nice piece (and was a better defender than Booker), but Booker is a vastly better offensive player and scorer.

Also, even if we just ended up being about as good as those Clips: Those Clips were pretty darn good. They never won a title or got to the Finals, but they always won 50+ games, were a perennial playoff team and were always in the discussion/mix. If they had one or two breaks, like a savvy FA signing, or hadn't choked in big playoff games/series, they could have gone really far. Frankly that description isn't far off from the SSOL Suns in terms of how well they did every year. I would absolutely accept that sort of placement for our Suns.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

If we're building our fake team out and our 1-4 are Doncic/Booker/Jackson/Love, I would vastly prefer Capela to Jordan. Younger, fits the timeline better, just as good defensively and a better FT shooter. They will probably also cost the same amount, although Capela is a RFA.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The only chance Houston let's Capela go is if LeBron is coming.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:The only chance Houston let's Capela go is if LeBron is coming.
Even then, it doesn't make sense for them because releasing Capela doesn't get them below the cap and space to sign LeBron.

Which roster would you rather have?

Doncic, Booker, JJ, Love, Jordan with Bender, Williams, Harrison, Ulis, Daniels off the bench

Or

Young, Booker, George, Love/Gordon, Ayton with Ulis, Harrison, House, JJ, Bender, Williams off the bench

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Even then, it doesn't make sense for them because releasing Capela doesn't get them below the cap and space to sign LeBron.

Doncic, Booker, JJ, Love, Jordan with Bender, Williams, Harrison, Ulis, Daniels off the bench

Or

Young, Booker, George, Love/Gordon, Ayton with Ulis, Harrison, House, JJ, Bender, Williams off the bench
The 2nd one, but there's no way we could put that team together. Adding Ayton and Trae in the draft and somehow having the assets to get Kevin Love and then sign Paul George?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Or

The 2nd one, but there's no way we could put that team together. Adding Ayton and Trae in the draft and somehow having the assets to get Kevin Love and then sign Paul George?
They have a few of assets:
Milwaukee '18? pick
Miami '18 pick
Phx '19 pick
Phx '18 2nd round pick possibly 1st in the 2nd round #31
Miami '21 pick
Chriss
Warren
Expiring deals:
Len and Payton this year?(not sure if that works, but maybe if it's before the draft?)
Dudley
Chandler
Daniels

I think it may be possible to move up with those assets and even do another trade, but I could be wrong.
Last edited by In2ition on Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.