Suns News: Week 25 4/2-4/10

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Cap

Re: Suns News: Week 25 4/2-4/10

Post by Cap »

The Bobster wrote:We have to pay Knight anyway and he's untradable right now, so they might as well see what they can do with him.
Yup.

BTW, I bet psychologists would have something interesting to say about the seamless transition from “we” to “they” in the same sentence. Fandom is weird that way.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

So I think I heard Gambo say that he thinks the Suns will improve by about 10 games next year to 30 wins. A bunch of people including Scott Williams wanted to bet him lunch that they wouldn't get to 30 wins next year. How do you guys feel, before the lottery and off-season, about the Suns chances next year? I think we will see them improve by 25 games. 30 seems awfully low to me, especially after it seemed the roster was stealthily and conscienciously built to tank this year.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Cap wrote:
The Bobster wrote:We have to pay Knight anyway and he's untradable right now, so they might as well see what they can do with him.
Yup.

BTW, I bet psychologists would have something interesting to say about the seamless transition from “we” to “they” in the same sentence. Fandom is weird that way.
I usually try to avoid "we" when discussing the teams I watch. It inevitably creeps through occasionally.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

In2ition wrote:So I think I heard Gambo say that he thinks the Suns will improve by about 10 games next year to 30 wins. A bunch of people including Scott Williams wanted to bet him lunch that they wouldn't get to 30 wins next year. How do you guys feel, before the lottery and off-season, about the Suns chances next year? I think we will see them improve by 25 games. 30 seems awfully low to me, especially after it seemed the roster was stealthily and conscienciously built to tank this year.
I thin a 25-game improvement is wildly optimistic.

I would be happy if they win 35 next year. They're likely to only have their pick and Miami's in the first round, and they need to find starter-quality players for PG, PF and C. They should get at least one in the draft, butr I don;t see Knight making a big impact and I don't see any free agents having any interest in the Suns yet.

The scariest thing about this year's team is that they've won 3 more games than should be expected W-L based on their point differential.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

The Bobster wrote: The scariest thing about this year's team is that they've won 3 more games than should be expected W-L based on their point differential.
So we actually had an overachieving squad?
(Have to find some silver linings to keep sanity)

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:So I think I heard Gambo say that he thinks the Suns will improve by about 10 games next year to 30 wins. A bunch of people including Scott Williams wanted to bet him lunch that they wouldn't get to 30 wins next year. How do you guys feel, before the lottery and off-season, about the Suns chances next year? I think we will see them improve by 25 games. 30 seems awfully low to me, especially after it seemed the roster was stealthily and conscienciously built to tank this year.
Historically speaking, a 10 win improvement is very good and 25 would be wildly amazing. Can we really be as good as the Wolves next season?

When Triano first took over, we went about 1/2 of the season winning about 41% of our games. With at least one rookie in the rotation, I think a consistent 41% over the whole season is a good goal. That puts us at about 33 wins.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

The Bobster wrote:
Cap wrote:
Yup.

I usually try to avoid "we" when discussing the teams I watch. It inevitably creeps through occasionally.
Call me an eternal optimist, but the Suns were winning about 41% of their games before they started stealth tanking. That's about 33 wins. Add another blue chip prospect and perhaps another veteran or two. I'd be shocked if they didn't have a winning season next year, although they might get caught in a numbers game again and fail to make the playoffs.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Indy wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:He is 20.
I love thinking back to saucey's posts when he was 20. Such maturity! :P
True, but his PER (Poster Efficiency Rating) and his defensiveness per 36 posts have gone way up since then.
Lol. See, you can’t fix attitude :lol:

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

At the end of the day, Knight will be the next Kevin Johnson and we'll all be looking back saying what a great series it was.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think I can make any predictions about our win total until I see whether we sign any major FAs or just do our draft pick and call it a day. My guess is that McDo needs to sign a big FA to try to keep his job. So we'll see who he goes after. Blue chipper rook plus 1-2 well chosen vets? I could see a huge improvement, even a winning record. But just the pick, the new rook? Probably a marginal improvement of 5-8 wins.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think it all depends on who we hire as coach, more than who we get at 1-4. I can't see us being over .500 unless our pick is clearly rookie of the year, and as a team we up our 3P% by 30 points.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I don't think I can make any predictions about our win total until I see whether we sign any major FAs or just do our draft pick and call it a day. My guess is that McDo needs to sign a big FA to try to keep his job. So we'll see who he goes after. Blue chipper rook plus 1-2 well chosen vets? I could see a huge improvement, even a winning record. But just the pick, the new rook? Probably a marginal improvement of 5-8 wins.
Haha, it was a question of your best guess before anything happens. No one (I think, haha) is going to hold you to your prediction and call you out on it when it doesn't happen. Yeah, a lot can happen or not happen to change the prediction.

Where are all those pessimists that will give their prediction who have no faith in the Suns or McD in decisions as to hiring s coach, maneuvering the draft, free agency and trades? It's a make or break off-season, I just want posters' honest thoughts as to what's going to happen and how it affects the bottom line(wins) next year.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I don't think I can make any predictions about our win total until I see whether we sign any major FAs or just do our draft pick and call it a day. My guess is that McDo needs to sign a big FA to try to keep his job. So we'll see who he goes after. Blue chipper rook plus 1-2 well chosen vets? I could see a huge improvement, even a winning record. But just the pick, the new rook? Probably a marginal improvement of 5-8 wins.
Haha, it was a question of your best guess before anything happens. No one (I think, haha) is going to hold you to your prediction and call you out on it when it doesn't happen. Yeah, a lot can happen or not happen to change the prediction.

Where are all those pessimists that will give their prediction who have no faith in the Suns or McD in decisions as to hiring s coach, maneuvering the draft, free agency and trades? It's a make or break off-season, I just want posters' honest thoughts as to what's going to happen and how it affects the bottom line(wins) next year.
My assumption is we throw some money at a "name" coach, but not a good coach, because we can't attract one with our FO/Owner. And we spend the first 3 months of next year saying how good we look with a "real" coach (our first time through the league), only to be out-coached/hustled in the 2nd half. Our first half record is some where around 45%, and our second half is 35%. We finish with 33 wins, 11th or 12th in the West. And we start hearing talk of Booker wanting to leave.

***I think normally we would say a 12-13 game improvement would be great progress, but we can't afford to have a total of 100 wins over Booker's first 4 years in the league.***

Split T

Post by Split T »

I'll say 15 win increase to 36 wins

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:

What does “make or break off-season” even mean?

I disagree with what I think you are saying.

The present is not more important than the future, and focusing on the number of games we are going to win next season exclusively is the wrong way to go about building the team.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:

The present is not more important than the future, and focusing on the number of games we are going to win next season exclusively is the wrong way to go about building the team.
It's make or break for McD, imo.

This is just for fun. If you disagree with what I'm saying, ...ok.

I never said that wins is a way to build a team. You're clearly reading too much into this, haha.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Booker is the present and the future. If next year is the same as the last 2, that's not progress. So yea, it's a make or break offseason for our GM.
Last edited by ShelC on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:

It's make or break for McD, imo.

This is just for fun. If you disagree with what I'm saying, ...ok.

I never said that wins is a way to build a team. You're clearly reading too much into this, haha.
It is absolutely make or break for McD. The team has been worse every year of his tenure.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yup, it's time for McD to show his mettle. Piss or get off the pot.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:Yup, it's time for McD to show his mettle. Piss or get off the pot.
Did you do this on purpose? Implying that he sits down to pee? Lol.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!