Suns News: Week 25 4/2-4/10

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
UglyTruth

Re: Suns News: Week 25 4/2-4/10

Post by UglyTruth »

specialsauce wrote:Then please PLEASE trade him
That’s not McDonough’s style. He waits till a player creates a mess, publicly leaks out that he wants out of Phoenix, bashes the organization and THEN McDonough will trade him.

It’s what happened with Dragic, Markief, Bledsoe and will happen again with Warren imo.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think that's up to the coaching staff to figure out. I'm not gonna make assumptions based on media quotes. If the coaching staff decides they want him off the bench and he's not ok with it and going to cause problems, then by all means trade him. I just don't think his answer here necessarily indicates he'll cause problems. Although I'm fine moving him whether he's ok coming off the bench or not.

Split T

Post by Split T »

https://twitter.com/AZSports/status/984165733008457728

Split T

Post by Split T »

“We’re going to raise our standards. We won’t be as young. We won’t have nearly as many young players as we did this year. We’ll have more experience, we’ll have more veterans,” McDonough said.

“I think we have the ability to do all that. Now what we’ll be able to do, that will be dictated over the next three or four months as we go through the draft and free agency. But we’ll add at least one more elite young player to Devin Booker, Josh Jackson, T.J. Warren and the rest of our guys and then we’ll try to accelerate the rest of it.”

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
“We’re going to raise our standards. We won’t be as young. We won’t have nearly as many young players as we did this year. We’ll have more experience, we’ll have more veterans,” McDonough said.

“I think we have the ability to do all that. Now what we’ll be able to do, that will be dictated over the next three or four months as we go through the draft and free agency. But we’ll add at least one more elite young player to Devin Booker, Josh Jackson, T.J. Warren and the rest of our guys and then we’ll try to accelerate the rest of it.”
Should be a fun off-season if nothing else.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

He's really raising expectations. What a moron. He is really backing himself into a corner and setting himself up to get killed by the fans.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think he was already in that corner. At least he knows it. He's not gonna go down looking, he's gonna take his swing this off-season.

I think we'll see a drastically different team next year. McD mentioned the guys that will be back in Booker, Jackson, and Warren. Nobody else is safe.

Here's my best guess:

Locks to be back:

Booker
Jackson - only way I see him gone is for Kawhi

Most likely back:

Chandler, Dudley, Knight - I just don't see them as movable. Could use stretch provision on one of we're desperate for cap space.

Warren - McD consistently mentions him as part of core

50-50 guys:

Bender, Chriss - I think we choose 1 between these two.

Harrison, Ulis - Wouldn't mind them back as 3rd PG, not sure there is room for both

House, Daniels - Same as above, but at sg

Williams - Could be a cap casualty to free up space, maybe back at minimum deal?

Probably gone:

Payton - Not impressed with his stint, be a big mistake if we brought him back.

Peters, Reed - Just didn't show enough, could come back on 2-way deals

Gone for sure:

Len

I'll say Booker, Jackson, Warren, Chandler, Dudley, Knight, Bender, House, Harrison return. Our top pick makes 10, plus probably 1 more rookie. That's 11, so we have 4 more spots, plus 2 2-way deals.

TOO

Post by TOO »

specialsauce wrote:He's really raising expectations. What a moron. He is really backing himself into a corner and setting himself up to get killed by the fans.
So more of the same then?
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/johnschuhmann/status/984306773447397381

We're #1! We're #1!
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Shouldn't the standards be pretty high to begin with? And weren't we already adding veterans like Tyson and Dudley?

I don't care if guys are young/rooks so long as they can play. Are the sixers too young with Saric, Simmons and Embiid? Bender and Chriss not showing much of anything is what's hurting us, considering they were both top 10 picks in their draft class and we traded for one of them. But who else is young? Jackson and Booker? He screwed up the PG, PF and C spots.

Indy

Post by Indy »

UglyTruth wrote:
Split T wrote:I'm ok with his answer. He obviously doesn't want to come off the bench but not many 20 ppg scorers would. Its going to happen eventually though, so he'll have to adjust, if we don't trade him first.
I don’t want the Suns to have to deal with another disgruntled player again.
But we have so much experience at it!

Cap

Post by Cap »

I really don’t like all this talk of “accelerating.” I’m expecting some dumb moves. Please don’t trade mid-first round picks in this draft for mediocre veterans.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I know a lot of folks here dislike McDo. But what I'm most afraid of is a GM who fears for his job security. I don't want us to make panic moves to try to save anybody's job.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I know a lot of folks here dislike McDo. But what I'm most afraid of is a GM who fears for his job security. I don't want us to make panic moves to try to save anybody's job.
Yep. McDo might make bad moves to save his job, then get fired and the new guy makes bad moves to show he has a different plan.

An interesting case is Philly, where Hinkie built the roster through the draft and tanking, lost his job, and Colangelo has basically kept Hinkie's guys and added Reddick. You could say Hinkie was terrible for drafting Noel and Okafor, but this 52 win team is almost entirely his.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

TOO

Post by TOO »

O_Gardino wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I know a lot of folks here dislike McDo. But what I'm most afraid of is a GM who fears for his job security. I don't want us to make panic moves to try to save anybody's job.
Yep. McDo might make bad moves to save his job, then get fired and the new guy makes bad moves to show he has a different plan.

An interesting case is Philly, where Hinkie built the roster through the draft and tanking, lost his job, and Colangelo has basically kept Hinkie's guys and added Reddick. You could say Hinkie was terrible for drafting Noel and Okafor, but this 52 win team is almost entirely his.
I'm sure we'd have been better off living the top 3 of the draft for the last 5 or 6 years. Hinkie gets too much credit for solid lottery luck.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:I really don’t like all this talk of “accelerating.” I’m expecting some dumb moves. Please don’t trade mid-first round picks in this draft for mediocre veterans.
Who would you consider a mediocre vet?

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

For those who been wondering about Gordon n saying he would be decent once we don't overpay
Well his desire seems clear

https://twitter.com/JoshuaBRobbins/status/984465753771577345

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Cap wrote:I really don’t like all this talk of “accelerating.” I’m expecting some dumb moves. Please don’t trade mid-first round picks in this draft for mediocre veterans.
Who would you consider a mediocre vet?
Carmelo. Avery Bradley. Thad Young. KCP. Monroe. Wes Matthews. Ilyasova. Wilson Chandler. All free agents this summer.

sunset rubdown

Post by sunset rubdown »

What about Derrick Favors?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Exit interviews:

http://www.nba.com/suns/video

(Did Carey already post this?)

These are all paraphrases.

Triano: 5 guys had career years, not counting Jackson or Chriss
Triano (when asked about coaching next season): Today should be about the players. He is who he is, and we've already seen what kind of work he is going to do. He will keep investing in young guys.

McD: When they decided to start rebuilding the "right" way, they targeted a 3 year window. Longer than that, and losing sets in.
McD: We have the ability to create a lot of cap space easily if needed for one, or more likely multiple players. Will see who is available.
McD: Going forward, players will be evaluated more on merit than they have been.
McD: Has a target list of coaches, but has not started coaching interviews yet.

Bender is a bit homesick for Croatia after 7 months away.
Bender (asked who he wants to beat in a 3pt shooting contest, like the ones they have after practice): Obviously, he can't match the shooters on the team, but he likes to challenge Tyson.

Chriss: I like playing with Bender. I get to be around the ball and get rebounds, he gets his 3pt shots. We work well together.

Booker: The league has been beating him up since he got here, and he feels the pain of losing just like the fans.
Booker: Area of improvement over the summer - His body. He wants to be healthy to not miss any more games.
(Apparently Chandler is good in the team 3pt contests, because Booker likes to challenge him, too.)

Jackson: Wants to get stronger and work on his handles
Jackson can't sleep on the plane because he's afraid of heights
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan