Game Day: Kings (25-53) @ Suns (19-59), Tues 4/3/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Game Day: Kings (25-53) @ Suns (19-59), Tues 4/3/18

Post by O_Gardino »

specialsauce wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
specialsauce wrote: His shot selection is out of necessity these last 10 games.
No, it has been bad all year long.
I disagree. I thought it was poor the first half the year when he was out of control. I thought he really was much better in the second half until Warren and Booker missed these last stretch of games.
There was one play tonight, where the Suns put everybody on the right side of the floor, and cleared out the entire left side. Josh got a pick (from Len?) up top and went right. He had to weave through 9 other guys to get to the basket, while the entire other side of the court stood empty.

His awareness can keep growing, but it sure isn't there yet.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Shabazz wrote:Shaq harrison can play on my (favorite) team any day. That guy is a dog on D.
Yeah, he has become one of my favorite Suns this season.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

O_Gardino wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
specialsauce wrote: His shot selection is out of necessity these last 10 games.
No, it has been bad all year long.
I disagree. I thought it was poor the first half the year when he was out of control. I thought he really was much better in the second half until Warren and Booker missed these last stretch of games.
There was one play tonight, where the Suns put everybody on the right side of the floor, and cleared out the entire left side. Josh got a pick (from Len?) up top and went right. He had to weave through 9 other guys to get to the basket, while the entire other side of the court stood empty.

His awareness can keep growing, but it sure isn't there yet.
Edit: re-read your post and see what you are saying now. That seems like poor awareness. I'm sure that will improve with time.
Last edited by AmareIsGod on Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

O_Gardino wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:Apparently Josh has a great boxscore and a good +/- but is a terrible shooter and FT shooter. 10 for 21 FGs and 4 for 6 FTs. Is this a case of ugly form with good results or typos on the box score because the numbers don't live with the opinions of some.
Most of his makes are at the rim, and most of his misses are jumpers.
And yet, someone pointed out that, as of late, those jumpers have started trending positively. Sure, on the whole, it hasn't been good. But with the "what have you done for me lately" lenses on, there has been progress and improvement.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:Apparently Josh has a great boxscore and a good +/- but is a terrible shooter and FT shooter. 10 for 21 FGs and 4 for 6 FTs. Is this a case of ugly form with good results or typos on the box score because the numbers don't live with the opinions of some.
And yet, someone pointed out that, as of late, those jumpers have started trending positively. Sure, on the whole, it hasn't been good. But with the "what have you done for me lately" lenses on, there has been progress and improvement.
Jackson was 2 for 2 from 3 last night. His form isn't that bad. Is it classical? No. But it's not terrible and it will continue to get better with practice. He's got a nice step back jumper which I rarely hear about on here.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Shabazz wrote:Shaq harrison can play on my (favorite) team any day. That guy is a dog on D.
Yes, he had been a very pleasant surprise. I'd keep him at backup point. Did you guys see him block WCS's shot?!
He’s not the first jetsam PG to drift to our shores and be a pleasant surprise for a handful of games.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Yes, he had been a very pleasant surprise. I'd keep him at backup point. Did you guys see him block WCS's shot?!
He’s not the first jetsam PG to drift to our shores and be a pleasant surprise for a handful of games.
Yeah, but it's different this time... Right? No, seriously. He has the "it" factor. I'm not worried about him being a flash in the pan. He brings the effort every night and is a terror on defense.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Yeah, but it's different this time... Right? No, seriously. He has the "it" factor. I'm not worried about him being a flash in the pan. He brings the effort every night and is a terror on defense.
Yeah his skill set is much different than say Mike James. When James played to start the year I didn’t like him even when he had his 20+ point games because he didn’t play the right way. This kid definitely has a niche and plays it at a high level. I think he’s a keeper off the bench.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

AmareIsGod wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
agreed

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Even if it's just the end of this season - that was a great block and it's fun watching this guy hustle. As an org, this is the kind of flash in the pan we need to reward with a shot at the roster next season.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
These are his shooting numbers by distance this season, I dont know how you can think these are good.

3-10ft .407
10-16ft .320
16-3pt .380
3pt .261
FT 62%

He definitely needs to improve across the board.
Do you know how to find what they are in the second half of the year? Curious to see if they've improved
They have.
From January 1 to today:

Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Still seems bad to me, but what do I know?
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
These are his shooting numbers by distance this season, I dont know how you can think these are good.

3-10ft .407
10-16ft .320
16-3pt .380
3pt .261
FT 62%

He definitely needs to improve across the board.
Do you know how to find what they are in the second half of the year? Curious to see if they've improved
They have.
From January 1 to today:

Thx!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Overall numbers during that stretch:

29.2 mpg
17 ppg
44.6% FG
28.8 3PT
67.8% FT
5.4 rpg
2 apg
2 topg
1.1 spg
0.6 bpg
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

TOO

Post by TOO »

He's really gotta cut down on the long 2, that's the worst shot in basketball.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:He's really gotta cut down on the long 2, that's the worst shot in basketball.
I agree in general but with him the alternative is a 3 and that’s even worse right now. He has to shoot it to keep defenses honest

TOO

Post by TOO »

specialsauce wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:He's really gotta cut down on the long 2, that's the worst shot in basketball.
I agree in general but with him the alternative is a 3 and that’s even worse right now. He has to shoot it to keep defenses honest
He's very much in the same mold as Tyreke Evans was in his 1st couple of years. Hoping Jackson takes his shot seriously in the off-season and doesn't take 9 seasons to become a respectable shooter.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

specialsauce wrote:
He's very much in the same mold as Tyreke Evans was in his 1st couple of years. Hoping Jackson takes his shot seriously in the off-season and doesn't take 9 seasons to become a respectable shooter.
The first half of next season will really tell me the career path he is going to take. If he comes out and hasn’t improved his shot much at all, we'll know that he’s not destined for greatness. He can still be a good player in this league but if he doesn’t have the will and ability to improve that shot he will have a serious ceiling.