Game Day: Warriors (57-23) @ Suns (20-60), Sun 4/8/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Game Day: Warriors (57-23) @ Suns (20-60), Sun 4/8/18

Post by Split T »

I thought Chriss actually looked pretty decent defensively this year. When he's focused and active he can make things happen. I didn't see the same lost and confused defender we saw his rookie year. His problem this year was offensively. We used him as a spot up shooter and he shot very poorly. He didn't seem to have much of a defined role on offense and he looked pretty lost at times.

I'm not super high on either right now, but Chriss has the athletic traits to make an occasional impact. Bender has the mental game, but we haven't seen it much on the court.

Do we send them both to summer league again?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:If Bender ever becomes a 5, he'll be a Brook Lopez type that shoots 3's and gets 5reb a game. I'd rather he be a SF at that rate
There is a huge difference here. Brook, like his brother, don't actually grab the rebound, but they box out extremely well because they have a lot of strength and know how to use it. Bender is so weak, gets pushed around and if he is our of position or behind his guy, he is not moving him at all. Besides, he clearly lacks a nose and a motor for rebounds.

The conclusion, though, is valid in my opinion. Bender could be better suited to play as an oversized SF-PF tweener than at C, especially if he is unable to add good weight.

To find out, I think what we should do is have Bender (and Chriss) work out like crazy. Don't let them go away from PHX more than a couple of weeks. Two sessions a day, one day off. First one, mechanics and repetition. Second one, strength and conditioning. Let them play only the last couple of games, if any. Enter training camp already in mid season form; disregard the risk of hitting a wall by the time game 41 comes.

This offseason is probably their last real chance at making it.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

O_Gardino wrote:I don't think we keep Len. He's unrestricted, declined to negotiate a contract last summer, and took a one year deal specifically so he could have more control of his employment. I think if he gets any offer from another team that promises him playing time, he leaves us no matter what contract we offer.

I think Len had a legitimate beef. He was groomed to be our future Center and right when it seems he was ready we got Chandler who started and I think that might have pissed off Len and I can’t really blame him.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

It’s a business, if you can’t overthrown a aging veteran, then your weren’t ready to fulfill your “destiny”. You can be upset of course, but if you clearly are the superior player, eventually will get the minutes (see Williams, Alan), if not the starting spot as well, but Alex stayed inconsistent and timid.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Nodack wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:I don't think we keep Len. He's unrestricted, declined to negotiate a contract last summer, and took a one year deal specifically so he could have more control of his employment. I think if he gets any offer from another team that promises him playing time, he leaves us no matter what contract we offer.

I think Len had a legitimate beef. He was groomed to be our future Center and right when it seems he was ready we got Chandler who started and I think that might have pissed off Len and I can’t really blame him.
Len has showed little overall. He has had a number of chances and offensively you have never said to yourself 'wow, this guy is good'. Those hands are criminal. That inability to make good his size, too. He has made an impact on defense and the boards but he is a role player. Nothing against that, and he may have some untapped potencial still, but I think it is never going to work here. Like in RoLo's case, he may find success and recognition elsewhere, but I will not be mad about it.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Agreed. I'm honestly indifferent to him but it's probably best he move on.

Chriss should play and dominate summer league. He just needs to become really good at 1 thing. Whether it's rebounding, scoring in the paint, blocking shots, knocking down 3s...something. But do something to stand out. Even leadership as a 3rd yr pro.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

ShelC wrote:Chriss should play and dominate summer league. He just needs to become really good at 1 thing. Whether it's rebounding, scoring in the paint, blocking shots, knocking down 3s...something. But do something to stand out. Even leadership as a 3rd yr pro.
I think Chriss' mindset is too passive/weak, and when he is actually engaged, his emotions get the best of him. This is the first thing I'd work on changing if I was coaching him. Stay focused and be responsible. You don't want to end up the Gerald Green of the PFs, do you?

From that perspective, I wouldn't play Chriss at the summer league. I believe there is really nothing to gain from it.