Game Day: Warriors (57-23) @ Suns (20-60), Sun 4/8/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: Game Day: Warriors (57-23) @ Suns (20-60), Sun 4/8/18

Post by carey »

One more game and we can flush this shit. Does Dudley have a dunk this year? Lol.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Anyone want to make a bet regarding Bender? I think he is a summer away from being a real contributor.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

virtual9mm wrote:Anyone want to make a bet regarding Bender? I think he is a summer away from being a real contributor.
That is a pretty vague statement. I’m pretty confident he will never average 15 ppg or 8 RPG.

carey

Post by carey »

Lets give it up for tonight's leading scorer Danuel House Jr. (That means there are least 2 Danuels.)
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

I'd take 12 & 8 from Bender next year on 50/47 (averages of his last 4 games) if you offered it to me right now. Lol.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

EDC

Post by EDC »

The rebound numbers should go up quite a bit once a coach starts yelling at him for running back the instant the shot goes up even when he is under the basket.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

specialsauce wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:Anyone want to make a bet regarding Bender? I think he is a summer away from being a real contributor.
That is a pretty vague statement. I’m pretty confident he will never average 15 ppg or 8 RPG.
Ok -- 15 ppg OR 8 rpg per 36 sometime, so 12 ppg OR 7 rpg per 36 next year. You interested?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

virtual9mm wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Ok -- 15 ppg OR 8 rpg per 36 sometime, so 12 ppg OR 7 rpg per 36 next year. You interested?
I’m not a big believer in per 36 minutes in general because to me there’s a reason you’re only getting 12 mpg and it often inflates numbers of guys that don’t get much run. I will happily bet a year of avatar abuse that by the all-star break next year he will not be averaging 12 points or 7 rebounds per game

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

EDC wrote:The rebound numbers should go up quite a bit once a coach starts yelling at him for running back the instant the shot goes up even when he is under the basket.
+1. Not sure if he has the desire to go after them though. He shouldn't need a coach yelling at him.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
EDC wrote:The rebound numbers should go up quite a bit once a coach starts yelling at him for running back the instant the shot goes up even when he is under the basket.
+1. Not sure if he has the desire to go after them though. He shouldn't need a coach yelling at him.
Does need a coach, though. Hasn’t really had one yet.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Bender keeps giving me reasons to hope. 14 points on 6-13 shooting, with 14 rebounds and 2 assists, in 41 minutes. Ulis with 15 points and 10 assists. Not a lot else going on; House Jr leads us in scoring with 22, yawn.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400975949

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:Lets give it up for tonight's leading scorer Danuel House Jr. (That means there are least 2 Danuels.)
He has been really good to close out the season. He should be on somebodies roster next year.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I'm one of Bender's biggest supporters here, but I don't think he'll ever average 8 rebounds. I think if you judge him by his tough interior play and work on the offensive glass, you've missed the point.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Bender made 4 shots at the rim yesterday. Also shot 4-6 inside the 3 point line. Without actually doing the research, I feel like both of those were season highs.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I am happy with the way this season played out. I admit I was hoping we would be a little better and finish in the middle of the pack when the season started. As long as we were going to lose I am glad we finished last and have the best chance at the #1 pick. The guys who really need the playing time the most are have gotten the most playing time the last half the season.

Booker is a furure All Star. Warren is a stud. Jackson was a letdown the start but has really turned heads since the All Star break and looks like he will a at minimum a stud.

Ulis has gotten another chance and has played ok, not great. Chriss has played ok, not great. Bender has improved his shooting and has gotten more aggressive lately.

Harrison has played pretty well. It’s nice to see some defense. I hope to see him back next year.

Len gets a lot of flack. I think he has improved a lot this year and I consider him a solid Center and would be fine with him as our Center. Yes it is a contract year and guys play harder when they are playing for a new contract but, IMO he is solid. We keep going through centers almost as much as PG’s. Am not a draft expert but, from the sound of things it seems there are a lot of talented Big men and if we get the #1-2 pick and can land a future All Star Center then I won’t complain. Just getting rid of Len because he doesn’t meet our standards of what we want from a center is a mistake IMO.

The glaring achilles heal for this team is the PG position IMO and until we get solid there we will suck to some degree. We have a lot of cap space and management has talked about making some moves in the off season with that cash. If they can snag a real PG and get the #1 as a big man then I would hope we are done with tanking and can cncentrate on winning.

The think Triano has done a decent job. I can see another year with him as coach. After that the core team should be established and start to gel. No Suns coach in recent times lasts more than 2-3 years so, after next year I predict that will be when we go for the next coach, who hopefully will be a wise choice and maybe a big name to set us up for the playoof run that lasts for years to come.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:I am happy with the way this season played out. I admit I was hoping we would be a little better and finish in the middle of the pack when the season started. As long as we were going to lose I am glad we finished last and have the best chance at the #1 pick. The guys who really need the playing time the most are have gotten the most playing time the last half the season.

Booker is a furure All Star. Warren is a stud. Jackson was a letdown the start but has really turned heads since the All Star break and looks like he will a at minimum a stud.

Ulis has gotten another chance and has played ok, not great. Chriss has played ok, not great. Bender has improved his shooting and has gotten more aggressive lately.

Harrison has played pretty well. It’s nice to see some defense. I hope to see him back next year.

Len gets a lot of flack. I think he has improved a lot this year and I consider him a solid Center and would be fine with him as our Center. Yes it is a contract year and guys play harder when they are playing for a new contract but, IMO he is solid. We keep going through centers almost as much as PG’s. Am not a draft expert but, from the sound of things it seems there are a lot of talented Big men and if we get the #1-2 pick and can land a future All Star Center then I won’t complain. Just getting rid of Len because he doesn’t meet our standards of what we want from a center is a mistake IMO.

The glaring achilles heal for this team is the PG position IMO and until we get solid there we will suck to some degree. We have a lot of cap space and management has talked about making some moves in the off season with that cash. If they can snag a real PG and get the #1 as a big man then I would hope we are done with tanking and can cncentrate on winning.

The think Triano has done a decent job. I can see another year with him as coach. After that the core team should be established and start to gel. No Suns coach in recent times lasts more than 2-3 years so, after next year I predict that will be when we go for the next coach, who hopefully will be a wise choice and maybe a big name to set us up for the playoof run that lasts for years to come.
So you think the Suns may have to prove themselves first as an up and coming team before they become a destination spot for a long term coach and/or free agents?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

specialsauce wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
I’m not a big believer in per 36 minutes in general because to me there’s a reason you’re only getting 12 mpg and it often inflates numbers of guys that don’t get much run. I will happily bet a year of avatar abuse that by the all-star break next year he will not be averaging 12 points or 7 rebounds per game
There are a lot of contingencies at play here, depending largely upon whom is drafted. Let's say - as of the all star break:

(1) Minimum of 24 mpg, otherwise the bet is off
(2) 10 ppg OR 6.7 rpg

Loser is subject to avatar shaming. That being said, this really doesn't mean as much nowadays, with the Suns being as bad as they are.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

O_Gardino wrote:I'm one of Bender's biggest supporters here, but I don't think he'll ever average 8 rebounds. I think if you judge him by his tough interior play and work on the offensive glass, you've missed the point.
It’s pathetic when a 7 foot 1 player can’t average 8 rebounds per game.

EDC

Post by EDC »

specialsauce wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:I'm one of Bender's biggest supporters here, but I don't think he'll ever average 8 rebounds. I think if you judge him by his tough interior play and work on the offensive glass, you've missed the point.
http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/play ... vgRebounds

There are surprisingly few players averaging more than 8 a game. I do agree that he needs to be much better on the boards though.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

EDC wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/play ... vgRebounds

There are surprisingly few players averaging more than 8 a game. I do agree that he needs to be much better on the boards though.
Especially if they can shoot the 3 or if they can guard the perimeter. Can Bender be a bigger Joe Ingles? :)