Game Day: Suns (20-61) @ Mavericks (24-57), Tues 4/10/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: Game Day: Suns (20-61) @ Mavericks (24-57), Tues 4/10/18

Post by carey »

djy2j wrote:I'm sad that I missed Alec Peters' last NBA game. :twisted:
Just watch the replay on nbahd.net.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Shabazz wrote:Good season, fellas. Thanks to all the posters here.

Anyone else watch all 82? I didn't miss a minute of this turd. It's a long wait until October now.
I didn't catch all 82. I couldn't invest the time when the team was so hard to watch. It was also a tough year for me to spare that many hours because I had my first kid in February. There were a lot of games I had on in the background while I did work or took care of baby, so I'd kind of half-watch them. Then I'd check the box score at the end and read the posts here.

I probably had about 55 games on my TV, and I probably gave my full attention to about 30 games. I also probably watched about 10 Warriors games; they're my local team now and my second-favorite NBA team. I read a lot of NBA columns, podcasts, and Twitter. Checked box scores and standings a lot on espn.com. I still care a lot about the NBA and follow the season as a whole, but when the Suns are so bad, it's all more distant and abstract. Hard to get as excited about the season and playoff seedings when we are so far from being good.

I really hope we make a leap next year. It has been so long since we had a team I could just root for and get behind. That 2010 squad with Nash, Hill, and the rest was a lot of fun. I hope we can get back to a place like that within a few years.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

djy2j wrote:I'm sad that I missed Alec Peters' last NBA game. :twisted:
I don't know if you're serious, but I suspect he'll be back with the team next year. He's inexpensive, he was a good scorer in college and can shoot the ball, and they wouldn't save much money by cutting him.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:I think Peters is a guy we take a long look at.
Yep. That was exactly the reason we drafted him. Not that anyone expects him to have 36 pt games regularly, but if he can be serviceable as a PF and hit 40% of his threes, he can have a long career.

We need shooting SOOOO much on this team. It is crazy that of the 12 guys that played over 500 minutes for us this year, only 2 guys hit 3s better than 37%. Just to put that in perspective, there are 110 guys in the league that did that this year (even more if you include the guys that take very few 3s), and only 2 were on this team. (Booker/Daniels)

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

I only watched one entire game the entire season.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am very surprised by that.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

da_suns_fan wrote:I only watched one entire game the entire season.
So what did you think, Alec Peters for MVP?

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Indy wrote:
ShelC wrote:I think Peters is a guy we take a long look at.
Yep. That was exactly the reason we drafted him. Not that anyone expects him to have 36 pt games regularly, but if he can be serviceable as a PF and hit 40% of his threes, he can have a long career.

We need shooting SOOOO much on this team. It is crazy that of the 12 guys that played over 500 minutes for us this year, only 2 guys hit 3s better than 37%. Just to put that in perspective, there are 110 guys in the league that did that this year (even more if you include the guys that take very few 3s), and only 2 were on this team. (Booker/Daniels)
I'm fine with taking a look at him again in summer league but this stuff happens on the last game of the year. I'm pretty sure Archie lit up the Kings on the last day of the season sending fans (including myself) into a tizzy over the summer. We saw how that worked out.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

We can’t fill our bench with a bunch of marginal players who show two moments of potential. We need some proven guys if we actually want to compete.

I think out of Peters, Reed, House, Ulis, Harrison you pick 2 to keep and toss the rest unless they agree to a G league deal.

I’d keep Harrison and Reed

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

This is completely different. Archie was an 18 year old kid with some athletic traits who was a 1man fast break and nothing else. Alec Peters played 4 years of college and has a definable NBA skill which is shooting the 3. If Bender could shoot like him, a lot of our problems would be solved in terms of the PF position. And like Nodack said, we have no shooters on this team. Hell we kept Pat Burke on the roster for 2 years. Keep this kid around. Pat Garrity Jr.

TOO

Post by TOO »

specialsauce wrote:We can’t fill our bench with a bunch of marginal players who show two moments of potential. We need some proven guys if we actually want to compete.

I think out of Peters, Reed, House, Ulis, Harrison you pick 2 to keep and toss the rest unless they agree to a G league deal.

Why Reed? I haven't seen anything from him that says he's anything more than a G-Leaguer.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

specialsauce wrote:We can’t fill our bench with a bunch of marginal players who show two moments of potential. We need some proven guys if we actually want to compete.

Why Reed over House?

And I don't think there's any problem signing Peters to another 2-way contract where he mostly plays in the G-league.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

O_Gardino wrote:

Why Reed over House?

And I don't think there's any problem signing Peters to another 2-way contract where he mostly plays in the G-league.
Honestly I don’t love either of them and I’m okay letting both go. House is not a good 3 point shooter and I don’t want any more perimeter players that can’t hit the 3. I feel like Reed hasn’t gotten a fair shake coming off the injury I thought he looked promising in SL and wouldn’t mind giving him a healthy offseason to get a real look. Again, we could cut him tomorrow and I wouldn’t be that upset.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

specialsauce wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

Why Reed over House?

Honestly I don’t love either of them and I’m okay letting both go. House is not a good 3 point shooter and I don’t want any more perimeter players that can’t hit the 3. I feel like Reed hasn’t gotten a fair shake coming off the injury I thought he looked promising in SL and wouldn’t mind giving him a healthy offseason to get a real look. Again, we could cut him tomorrow and I wouldn’t be that upset.
That's a fair take.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

I'd keep Harrison. Where do you see Knight fitting in since I doubt we can unload him w/o a straight buyout and I doubt he wants to be a third string PG. If we draft Doncic I dont know how I feel about Harrison and Knight backing him up.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

djy2j wrote:

I'd keep Harrison. Where do you see Knight fitting in since I doubt we can unload him w/o a straight buyout and I doubt he wants to be a third string PG. If we draft Doncic I dont know how I feel about Harrison and Knight backing him up.
Yeah, I’m with you.

I really like Harrison as a third PG who can bring in some situational defense and effort when needed. If we draft Doncic not sure what to do with Knight. He was awful off the bench. If he causes any fuss at all, I wouldn’t hesitate to waive him and just eat the money.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I'm not sure Knight is in any position to make a fuss, coming off a down year, then missing a season, he should count his blessing he will even get decent PT next year.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Cap

Post by Cap »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I'm not sure Knight is in any position to make a fuss
Neither is Lavar Ball, but where there’s a will there’s a way.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Cap wrote:
One seems like a good guy, the other one is Lavar Ball.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
That's the kind of positive thinking I needed to start my morning.