Suns News: Week 26 4/11 - 4/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JCSunsfan

Re: Suns News: Week 26 4/11 - 4/17

Post by JCSunsfan »

Split T wrote:I'm really not sure what I want us to do with our cap space. The easy answer is to go after the restricted PF class, but all 3 have big question marks to me. Which I guess is why they are possibly available. I think I'd prefer to just address the front court through the draft and trades and target guards in free agency.

I keep coming back to Tyreke Evans. 19/5/5 on .45/.40/.79 shooting. He's 28, we could start him at the point or let him run the offense off the bench and finish the game alongside the starters. Will Barton is a similar player but if he leaves Denver, it's to take a bigger role elsewhere, not sure he'd be interested with Booker here.
We can also receive players into that space for other teams that are active in free agency. If LA wants to make room for LeBron, we could take Randle for instance.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Randle will be a free agent. I think he's worth considering. I don't like adding another non shooter though. I'd want to move Warren for a shooter if we bring in Randle.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:Randle will be a free agent. I think he's worth considering. I don't like adding another non shooter though. I'd want to move Warren for a shooter if we bring in Randle.
I don’t want Randle. Can’t play Jackson and Randle together.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Jackson in general really limits what pieces you can add to this team, that is, if you're truly trying to build a contender.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

carey

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote:Jackson in general really limits what pieces you can add to this team, that is, if you're truly trying to build a contender.
I realize his lack of shooting is a big negative but I truly believe he has elite level quickness out there. He's like the Ish Smith of small forwards. I think in time his activity and defense will more than cancel out his shooting difficulties.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:Jackson in general really limits what pieces you can add to this team, that is, if you're truly trying to build a contender.
He really does. It makes it mandatory that at least one of our bigs hit 3s and our PG has to be a shooter.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I look at Josh Jackson as a guy who you trade in 1-2 years to get a piece that actually works on a contending team. (A player who can shoot.) Above average shooting from the 2-3 positions is just about mandatory in today's NBA.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

INFORMER wrote:I don't think anyone is going to argue Brandon Knight is better than (fill in player's name here). I just think some may not see the point in making a sizable financial commitment to someone who really isn't a good long-term answer.

If the Suns primary measuring stick this offseason is "hey, this guy is better than what we got, so let's pay him" than we are going to get stuck with a mediocre team that is still going to struggle to make the playoffs and will have a ceiling of a mediocre team that finishes in 6-10 every season.

The standard/goal has to be: build a contender and sustained EXCELLENCE. Not sustained mediocrity.

I think too many are letting the horrific taste of this season push them to panic and lower their standards.

Hi INF. What are your thoughts on signing Exum as a starting PG?

Alternatively, a 1 year rental of Rondo?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I know I'm not Inf, but Exum's injury history and lack of shooting take him off the list. Same with Rondo regarding shooting.

WE NEED SHOOTERS, PEOPLE.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I'm not gonna write off Jackson yet due to his shooting, it needs to improve but he's just a rookie. I think he just needs to get to 33-34% from 3. He should offer enough versatility offensively and defensively that just ok shooting will still make him an effective player. We do need to avoid other non shooters though.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Agreed, I'm fine with Jackson because I think he'll be a "sometimes shooter". But you can't have Payton, Booker, Jackson, Warren and then Len/Chandler out there. There's no shooting. You need a shooter at PG and then a Kevin Love type at the 4/5.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

On a contender he’s gonna have to be brought off the bench kinda like Igoudala was.

Split T

Post by Split T »

UglyTruth wrote:
On a contender he’s gonna have to be brought off the bench kinda like Igoudala was.
I don't think that's true. First off, we don't know what his shot ends up as. We're talking about Jackson like he's a finished product. It seems kinda silly to be making conclusions in his future during his rookie season. Also, even if he never develops a shot, I think he could develop into a versatile enough player to be fine. Think Draymond in GS. He can't really shoot, but he creates so much offense and defends so we'll that it works. Jackson isn't as good or big defensively, but he's also a better scorer than green.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:
I realize his lack of shooting is a big negative but I truly believe he has elite level quickness out there. He's like the Ish Smith of small forwards. I think in time his activity and defense will more than cancel out his shooting difficulties.
That good?!
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:
I don't think that's true. First off, we don't know what his shot ends up as. We're talking about Jackson like he's a finished product. It seems kinda silly to be making conclusions in his future during his rookie season. Also, even if he never develops a shot, I think he could develop into a versatile enough player to be fine. Think Draymond in GS. He can't really shoot, but he creates so much offense and defends so we'll that it works. Jackson isn't as good or big defensively, but he's also a better scorer than green.
Green is a big, and it is ultimately a luxury more than a necessity to be able to get good shooting from your bigs. So that comparison doesn't really work for me.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Danimal wrote:
INFORMER wrote:I don't think anyone is going to argue Brandon Knight is better than (fill in player's name here). I just think some may not see the point in making a sizable financial commitment to someone who really isn't a good long-term answer.

If the Suns primary measuring stick this offseason is "hey, this guy is better than what we got, so let's pay him" than we are going to get stuck with a mediocre team that is still going to struggle to make the playoffs and will have a ceiling of a mediocre team that finishes in 6-10 every season.

The standard/goal has to be: build a contender and sustained EXCELLENCE. Not sustained mediocrity.

I think too many are letting the horrific taste of this season push them to panic and lower their standards.

Hi INF. What are your thoughts on signing Exum as a starting PG?

Alternatively, a 1 year rental of Rondo?
I like them both, but as Shel mentioned, it just is really tough to add non-shooting perimeter players to this group, specifically a roster that has Josh Jackson and TJ Warren.

Exum's injury history doesn't scare, but it does limit what I would be willing to offer him. Something in the range of a 3-year deal, with only the first year guaranteed.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:I'm not gonna write off Jackson yet due to his shooting, it needs to improve but he's just a rookie.
Yeah, no reason to write him off. And he could very well improve as a shooter. I just wouldn't count on it until it actually happens.

And it isn't just Jackson's perimeter shooting that affects how the Suns build. He has a one on five scorer's mentality, so that rules out a lot of score-first point guards too, as well as volume scorers at just about any position.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Jackson is going to add a decent three to his game. Just watch. He is not like TJ who doesn't take the shot. JJ is determined to shoot it and that kid really works to get better.

Split T

Post by Split T »

https://twitter.com/SunsSolarPanel/status/985870064309153792

My top 3 options

Kokoskov - $3
Doncic - $3
Capela - $4

Bud - $4
Ayton - $4
Tyreke - $2

Triano - $1
Ayton - $4
Kawhi -$5

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Not just this season. It's been 8 years since we've made the playoffs. I'm desperate to see a good team again.