Around the League: Week 26 4/11 - 4/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: Around the League: Week 26 4/11 - 4/17

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:I would love Jrue Holiday as our PG
Even at $26M a year for the next 3 years?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:I heard somewhere that Kawhi wants be closer to home and that this is a strategy to force himself out of SA to where he wants to go by trade or through FA the following year. He isn't buying the cult philosophy in SA and isn't about to take the Duncan like hometown discount. I also heard that he actually likes Phoenix and really wanted to play for the Suns coming out of college, but B____s screwed that up.
Where’d you hear that last piece? Kawhi refused to work out for Phoenix, which is why we didn’t consider drafting him.
Honestly, I don't even remember. Probably was misinformation.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:
Split T wrote:I would love Jrue Holiday as our PG
Even at $26M a year for the next 3 years?
It's not ideal, but if we're gonna cap ourselves out anyways, at least Jrue makes a lot of sense. But I was really just talking about his ability as a player as he's not available anyways. Pelicans aren't moving him.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:isn't about to take the Duncan like hometown discount
Why would he have to?
He shouldn't, but they ask everyone to sacrifice financially to keep the Spurs winning.
They paid Aldridge. And Manu and Tony were never on Kawhi's level. Plus, they paid Kawhi once already, without hesitation. And besides him and Aldridge, they really don't have anyone else that is going to command big money. I don't see why they wouldn't give Kawhi the max.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Silver said that tanking -- or the practice of teams intentionally losing games in an effort to improve their chances of landing a top draft pick -- is an "incredibly difficult issue" that the league continues to analyze.

"We recognize that our goal was to put the best competition on the floor, and it's balanced against legitimate rebuilding of some teams. But I know we're not there yet, and I certainly wasn't satisfied [this season]," Silver said.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2315 ... sue-combat

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:I heard somewhere that Kawhi wants be closer to home and that this is a strategy to force himself out of SA to where he wants to go by trade or through FA the following year. He isn't buying the cult philosophy in SA and isn't about to take the Duncan like hometown discount. I also heard that he actually likes Phoenix and really wanted to play for the Suns coming out of college, but B____s screwed that up.
Where’d you hear that last piece? Kawhi refused to work out for Phoenix, which is why we didn’t consider drafting him.
Honestly, I don't even remember. Probably was misinformation.
Lol maybe so, I would love if it’s true

carey

Post by carey »

I'm curious what the Pelcians salary cap is going to look like next year if they re-sign Boogie. They'll have about $80M wrapped up in the trio of Jrue-AD-Boogie. That's about our entire team salary for next year atm. Then they have Mirotic and Solo making $12M each and bam you're over the $101M cap with 5 guys.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Hey fam - should we make threads for each first-round series? Or a "playoffs first round" thread? What do you think?

carey

Post by carey »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Hey fam - should we make threads for each first-round series? Or a "playoffs first round" thread? What do you think?
1st round is probably fine.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

I don't get what the big mystery about fixing tanking is. It's not lottery odds that will fix the problem, it's parity. You allow Kevin Durant to go the warriors and Lebron to willy nilly decide everything, you're going to have other teams that will resort to tanking. I think if it's going to be a superstar league, then you have to limit 1 max salaried player per team, then a second tier is at 15-20% less. That way you incentivize really good players to play for teams that don't have the appeal but at least that slot available to pay someone.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Hey fam - should we make threads for each first-round series? Or a "playoffs first round" thread? What do you think?
I think we once used for the first round a thread for each Conference before, and it worked fine.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Philadelphia - from three straight sub-20 win seasons to 52 wins, 3rd seed in the East and a win in their playoff opener.

We can dream, right?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

MightyMoog wrote:I don't get what the big mystery about fixing tanking is. It's not lottery odds that will fix the problem, it's parity. You allow Kevin Durant to go the warriors and Lebron to willy nilly decide everything, you're going to have other teams that will resort to tanking. I think if it's going to be a superstar league, then you have to limit 1 max salaried player per team, then a second tier is at 15-20% less. That way you incentivize really good players to play for teams that don't have the appeal but at least that slot available to pay someone.
It's easy to come up with ideas that will limit players free agent choices, but good luck trying to get these things past the players association. Players want as many options available as possible. They want the right to determine where they're going to work and live.

Here in Phoenix we never complained when Danny Manning, Wayman Tisdale and A.C. Green took less than market value to join a very good Suns team. (You know, year ago when the Suns were actually considered a title contender!)
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Bobster, I totally agree. I don't have a problem with teams tanking, I don't see it as anti competition, I see it as ultra competition. Teams are going to do whatever is available to them to compete. In today's nba you can only get and keep a superstar is you already have another one. So if you have none, your only option is to go to the bottom and hopefully draft one. Every team is trying to win, maybe not every season, but every team wants to eventually win. I guess all I'm getting at is that you can't ask an object to be square and round at the same time.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Article on SBNation about the deteriorated relationship between Kawhi and the Spurs:

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/4/16/ ... -news-saga

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

RIP Erin Popovich. My condolences, coach.

https://twitter.com/Baxter/status/987035307878047744

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I watched a little of the Will Cain show today, and it indirectly raised an interesting topic: would anyone of you put Devin Booker ahead of any of the following players:

Giannis Antetokounmpo
Donovan Mitchell
Ben Simmons
Nikola Jokic
Karl Anthony Towns

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:I watched a little of the Will Cain show today, and it indirectly raised an interesting topic: would anyone of you put Devin Booker ahead of any of the following players:

Giannis Antetokounmpo
Donovan Mitchell
Ben Simmons
Nikola Jokic
Karl Anthony Towns
No to Giannis, Simmons, Jokic, or Towns

I'd still take Booker over Mitchell, but it's close.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Tough to compare against bigs but I'd put him over Jokic. If he had the exposure of being in the playoffs with a good team around him he'd be regarded a bit differently.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Jokic was 19/11/6 this year and shot .50/.40/.85 he's not good defensively and that's tough as a 5, but he's the best offensive C in the league.