2018 NBA Playoffs, First Round

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: 2018 NBA Playoffs, First Round

Post by specialsauce »

Probably because everyone knows Lebron is the coach of that team

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:I've never been a fan of Hood. Clarkson should be their Mo WIlliams/Lou Williams scorer. He's an x-factor and it's troubling they haven't gotten anything from him.

Again, I keep wondering how and why Lue gets a pass. George Hill is a veteran. He's a player. Clarkson is a player. Hood is a player. They'd had those guys a while now, they should be fully integrated.
Hill is the one guy I'm surprised hasn't been better for them. He knows what he's doing and is a veteran. He should be able to find a role there. But he seems lost. I don't believe in Clarkson. I think Nance may have some potential, and he seems like he's been okay. But I don't trust Clarkson and Hood.

Lue seems like one of those "just let them play" coaches. But that's probably what Lebron demanded, so that's what he gets. I would assume that if Lebron leaves, they'd fire Lue, too, right?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
ShelC wrote:I've never been a fan of Hood. Clarkson should be their Mo WIlliams/Lou Williams scorer. He's an x-factor and it's troubling they haven't gotten anything from him.

Again, I keep wondering how and why Lue gets a pass. George Hill is a veteran. He's a player. Clarkson is a player. Hood is a player. They'd had those guys a while now, they should be fully integrated.
Hill is the one guy I'm surprised hasn't been better for them. He knows what he's doing and is a veteran. He should be able to find a role there. But he seems lost. I don't believe in Clarkson. I think Nance may have some potential, and he seems like he's been okay. But I don't trust Clarkson and Hood.

Lue seems like one of those "just let them play" coaches. But that's probably what Lebron demanded, so that's what he gets. I would assume that if Lebron leaves, they'd fire Lue, too, right?
A lot of those guys are actually shooting well in the playoffs, there just aren't a lot of opportunities for them. Lue is running a 10 man rotation, and there really isn't an offense in place at all.

It's funny how some of the same people who said the Cavs were so much better at the trade deadline are now saying that this is one of LeBron's weakest supporting casts.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Cavs have been sunk since the moment they traded Kyrie. They won't win another title with this core.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

The moment they kept Thomas knowing he was damaged goods, they were doomed in terms of contention. Hindsight is a bitch, but that Brooklyn pick was pretty costly, basically shutting down their window. If Lebron was unsure, now he is as good as gone.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I agree that LeBron needs a another star playmaker, and I agree that getting picks and role players for Kyrie did not strengthen their chances this season.

But, come on.

Tristan Thompson, Kevin Love, and JR Smith were all starters on the championship team a couple of years ago. What happened to those guys? You've got 7 guys on that team who can both pass and score, and you can't get an open shot for anybody? Even without Kyrie or Thomas, that roster should still have won 60 and should be the best team in the east. They barely beat the Pacers in 7, getting outscored by 40 over the course of the series because they let themselves get totally blown out a couple of times? Come on.

Coaching matters. That team should be the best in the east.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Coaching matters. That team should be the best in the east.
I agree with you that they have a lot of talent still. But stars also matter. If you take the second-best player off of a title team, it often isn't a title team any more. Those guys you listed are nice pieces, but without two luminary stars like Lebron and Kyrie who can generate offense for themselves and others, the sum of the team's parts goes way down.