2018 NBA Playoffs, First Round

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: 2018 NBA Playoffs, First Round

Post by Shabazz »

One thought I keep having watching this first round is that with a little lottery luck, we could have had a young core of Simmons/Booker/Tatum.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Spurs and Warriors on ESPN now. Spurs down 0-3 and trying to fight off elimination in a sweep. This one should be fun.
Nah. Maybe for you Warriors fans.
If you can't enjoy Warriors/Spurs, I don't know what to tell you. Two incredibly smart and tough teams going at it. Lots of interesting players and personalities, great coaches, rowdy fans. Doesn't take a Warriors fan to enjoy these games. :-) I'd say almost every series has been a lot of fun; this year's playoffs are really enjoyable so far.
I don't know what to tell you either. The Warriors/Spurs series has been the least engaging of any of them. Even though the Warriors are down at halftime, I fully expect them to come back and win.
Actually might be smart for warriors to lose. They'll win the series eventually, the longer it drags out the more time Curry has to get healthy before facing pelicans.
True. But it did take a Herculean effort by the Spurs today including Ginobili turning back the clock to pull out the win.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:One thought I keep having watching this first round is that with a little lottery luck, we could have had a young core of Simmons/Booker/Tatum.
Shut up. ;)
"Be Legendary."

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
JustWinBaby wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Also, I am loving watching the Jazz. I think they are my favorite postseason team, narrowly edging out Philly. Love both of these young squads. Mitchell is the man, Rubio has found a renaissance in the prime of his career on a new team, Ingles is a sharpshooting tough mofo who brings a ton of emotion (their "Draymond"), and Gobert is just nasty on defense under the basket. Great overall collection of talented players who complement each other. They probably don't have quite enough shooting or experience to be true contenders, but it's impressive what they are doing to OKC. The Jazz play the right way and they built their team with care. I wonder what they'd be like if Gordon Hayward had stayed there (and not injured himself)?

Man, I'll be really curious to see a Rockets/Jazz series. I think Houston will wreck Utah because they're just such talented shooters. I don't think Utah can score enough points to keep up. But it'll be fascinating to watch.
I can see the Jazz beating the Rockets. While Mike has done a really nice job in Houston, I really question the talent level. Certainly Harden is off the charts and Chris Paul will be a hall of famer. However I cannot stand Chris Paul and he has choked more than once in the playoffs during his career. In addition if you are honest with your evaluation of that team other than Harden and Paul it is a bunch of role players/shooters. Most champions have had three dominant forces, I only see two. The burden of winning always seems to be on Harden's shoulders.

Great playoffs thus far it looks like even the overated, IMO, Brad Stevens is struggling due to the talent disparity against the Bucks. The teams with the most talent almost always wins in the playoffs. I just do not understand why Brad Stevens has been elevated to some kind of folk hero. What has he actually accomplished?
The talent level certainly isnt the problem, MikeD has never been good at making in-game adjustments when his system isnt working. This isnt new.
My Ass. Mike is the best coach in the business not Brad Stevens. How many COY's has Stevens won - Zero. MDA 2 and counting. How many championships has he won - zero. Tied with Mike. Both have made it to the conference finals and both lost.

I will have to watch Brad coach a little more to see if he can beat Eric Bledsoe and the Bucks. It seems to me that Ainge has done a fantastic job of getting him talent. I know everyone seems to be in love with this guy. I just don't see it.

The point is, why does every conversation go back to evaluating Mike's coaching ability. He gets absolutely no support ever from you guys. You guys have serious problems. Typically Brad Stevens, whom has accomplished squat is in high praise while you continue to chip away at Coach Mike. It really makes absolutely no sense.

I really think teams are more worried about beating Lebron than defeating Tyron Lue. I expect teams were more worried about Michael Jordan than Phil Jackson. It goes on and on and on. Mike is just a coach just like Brad. Both are dependent on having enough talent to win basketball games.

There always seems to be one coach that is accused of losing games, Mike D'Antoni. Why is that? If Brad could have coached better defense on that last possession when the Greek Freek scored today. The Celtics could have won. I would fire him.

That is how silly some of you are in your evaluations of MDA.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I forgot you were a super MDA homer. :lol:
Jones and Vogel out, Lue or Lee in, draft Grant Nelson or Tyler Kolek.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:Actually might be smart for warriors to lose. They'll win the series eventually, the longer it drags out the more time Curry has to get healthy before facing pelicans.
I think the dates of the round starts are set in advance of the playoffs. They don't start the second-round series any earlier if the first-round series ends early. So if they were to sweep the Spurs, they'd just get more days off to rest.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I forgot you were a super MDA homer. :lol:

HUUUUUUUGE homer lol.

If you're comparing the talent level of Houston to Boston, there's really no point in having a debate. You've clearly made up your mind that MDA is a great coach. The talent level of the rosters are worlds apart. Boston had no business being as good as they were the last 2 years, it was a huge coaching success to me.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

JustWinBaby wrote:Great playoffs thus far it looks like even the overated, IMO, Brad Stevens is struggling due to the talent disparity against the Bucks. The teams with the most talent almost always wins in the playoffs. I just do not understand why Brad Stevens has been elevated to some kind of folk hero. What has he actually accomplished?
Boston right now is Al Horford, bunch of kids on rookie deals, Monroe, Baynes and Phoenix fan favourite Marcus Morris. Who would make them perform better than they are right now?
I think a nice indication of a good coach is when players perform worse after leaving the team / being traded. The Spurs are famous for it, and guys who left Boston recently don't look very happy either.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The argument that Brad Stevens is somehow overrated or not a very good NBA coach is so ridiculous on its face that it doesn't really even deserve a response.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

We all know there is only one coach in the NBA, and the rest are pretenders.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Watching Rockets/Wolves right now. It's so funny watching the Wolves play all three of Derrick Rose, Jimmy Butler, and Taj Gibson on the floor at the same time. Classic Thibs. I hope Minnesota can win this one to keep the series interesting. And as a Warriors fan, I want to see the Rockets take more games to finish off the first round.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Watching Rockets/Wolves right now. It's so funny watching the Wolves play all three of Derrick Rose, Jimmy Butler, and Taj Gibson on the floor at the same time. Classic Thibs. I hope Minnesota can win this one to keep the series interesting. And as a Warriors fan, I want to see the Rockets take more games to finish off the first round.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Watching Rockets/Wolves right now. It's so funny watching the Wolves play all three of Derrick Rose, Jimmy Butler, and Taj Gibson on the floor at the same time. Classic Thibs. I hope Minnesota can win this one to keep the series interesting. And as a Warriors fan, I want to see the Rockets take more games to finish off the first round.

I agree with your take, TOO.

Mori, your Warrior fandom disgusts me

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

You're not even qualifying it anymore with statements like "my second favorite team, etc."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Ah, come on. You fellas know my heart lies with the Suns and that the Warriors will always be my second fave. <3

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I forgot you were a super MDA homer. :lol:
Yep - and so should every other Suns fan, after having to watch teams led by all the coaches for the Suns that have followed him, other than Mike's lead assistant - Alvin.

You are right Mike never makes any adjustments or knows how to coach - he called out the whole team after Minnesota beat them and they responded. That shows me that they listen to what he has to say. Isn't that priority #1 for any coach.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

TOO

Post by TOO »

They should wipe the floor with Minnesota. It is a 1-8 matchup afterall. Never said MDA couldn't coach, just said he's bad at making adjustments. You enjoy your MDA bubble, that is all fine and dandy.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:

I agree with your take, TOO.

Mori, your Warrior fandom disgusts me
LOL!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Ah, come on. You fellas know my heart lies with the Suns and that the Warriors will always be my second fave. <3
That's fine Marty. It's your site but we're going to continue to give you shit about it. <under breath: Frickin' bandwagoner!>
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Ah, come on. You fellas know my heart lies with the Suns and that the Warriors will always be my second fave. <3
That's fine Marty. It's your site but we're going to continue to give you s*** about it. <under breath: Frickin' bandwagoner!>
So when the Jazz inevitably play the Warriors in the WCf, do you root for Durant/Draymond and the rest of the entitled little bitches or do you root for Ruby Hunk Rubio??? Please tell me Utah