Who would you pick if we (OGW-willing) landed #1?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Who is your first choice if we land #1

Doncic
57%
Ayton
41%
Bagley
No votes
JJJ
No votes
Young
No votes
Bamba
No votes
Other
2%

Total votes: 61

rhylek

Re: Who would you pick if we (OGW-willing) landed #1?

Post by rhylek »

Doncic.

My only fear was the Dragic connection but seems that's not a problem anymore.
This guy is special, he is a winner, he is a basketball player.
The question is : could we sign a FA with his skillset? Or Ayton's?

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I think I'd be really happy if we were able to get Doncic and then use a late 2nd rounder to draft Brandon McCoy out of UNLV. I think that's a realistic scenario.

Cap

Post by Cap »

wpmiller42 wrote:I think I'd be really happy if we were able to get Doncic and then use a late 2nd rounder to draft Brandon McCoy out of UNLV. I think that's a realistic scenario.
Not really familiar with McCoy. What does he offer, besides size?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

wpmiller42 wrote:I think I'd be really happy if we were able to get Doncic and then use a late 2nd rounder to draft Brandon McCoy out of UNLV. I think that's a realistic scenario.
Heh. Yesterday I was taking a look at his videos on youtube. There is one of his game against Arizona where he scored 33 that is very interesting because it shows Ayton's defensive flaws (he is ok with just looking a worrying number of times; general lack of hustle on defense).

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Cap wrote:
Not really familiar with McCoy. What does he offer, besides size?
I think he plays really good position defense. He doesn't chase blocks, but he definitely alters shots with his length and moves his feet well. He won't get into foul trouble and I think he rebounds well. Offensively, I'm not sure if you can run your offense through him, but he knows where to be and how to get to spots where he can be effective. I think he's great at pick and rolls and giving passers good angles where he can get the ball and finish easily. He can shoot it a little bit from about 18ft out, and he's not a liability at the free throw line.

I think he'd work really well in an offensive system that emphasizes a star guard like Booker.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I voted Doncic. I just don't think big men matter as much in 2019's NBA. A super versatile swing or forward who can handle the ball, pass, and shoot well is worth his weight in gold. Ayton is also a really great prospect, so if we end up with him, I'll be optimistic.
Is a good shooting big man really not that valuable? I think that it needs to be complemented with a good shooter, but I think that there is a great possibility for him to complement Booker.

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

So assuming our pick is not top 2...whos our next preference?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

BlaCkAdDa wrote:So assuming our pick is not top 2...whos our next preference?

Sounds like another thread: "Who would you pick if we land the #3 pick in the draft?" I got you covered.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Heh. Yesterday I was taking a look at his videos on youtube. There is one of his game against Arizona where he scored 33 that is very interesting because it shows Ayton's defensive flaws (he is ok with just looking a worrying number of times; general lack of hustle on defense).

Ayton on the defensive end is night and day from 2017 to 2018. Most of the negativity about Ayton's defense seems based on 2017 games. I never saw him before before 2018, so I don't have a problem with his defense. I just finished watching a February Arizona/Oregon game, and Ayton had several good to very good defensive possessions in that game.

My reservations about McCoy remain. Lacks toughness, inconsistent motor, seemed to get his numbers against less than stellar competition and teams who put small players on him, and he plays slow. Still, very productive, especially for a freshman.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:Ayton on the defensive end is night and day from 2017 to 2018. Most of the negativity about Ayton's defense seems based on 2017 games. I never saw him before before 2018, so I don't have a problem with his defense. I just finished watching a February Arizona/Oregon game, and Ayton had several good to very good defensive possessions in that game.

My reservations about McCoy remain. Lacks toughness, inconsistent motor, seemed to get his numbers against less than stellar competition and teams who put small players on him, and he plays slow. Still, very productive, especially for a freshman.
For his sake I hope you are right and a switch has been flipped because if what you get on defense is such passivity, his potential as a franchise player decreases considerably.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I hope we somehow beat the rules and get the fucking 8th pick in the draft and he ends up a total bust. I wish nothing but the worst for Robert Sarver if this news about Bud withdrawing his name is true. There’s no reason to withdraw unless the offer is insulting. I never ever want us to have success under Robert, ever.

BlaCkAdDa

Re: RE: Re: Who would you pick if we (OGW-willing) landed #1?

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

specialsauce wrote:I hope we somehow beat the rules and get the f*** 8th pick in the draft and he ends up a total bust. I wish nothing but the worst for Robert Sarver if this news about Bud withdrawing his name is true. There’s no reason to withdraw unless the offer is insulting. I never ever want us to have success under Robert, ever.
Bit over the top I think

specialsauce

Re: RE: Re: Who would you pick if we (OGW-willing) landed #1?

Post by specialsauce »

BlaCkAdDa wrote:
specialsauce wrote:I hope we somehow beat the rules and get the f*** 8th pick in the draft and he ends up a total bust. I wish nothing but the worst for Robert Sarver if this news about Bud withdrawing his name is true. There’s no reason to withdraw unless the offer is insulting. I never ever want us to have success under Robert, ever.
Bit over the top I think
Okay go ahead and keep blindly supporting this piece of shits business. I won’t donate a penny to his cause until he gives me a reason to support his cause. Bud was clearly our best option unanimously and for him to just withdraw his name is a big deal.

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

Agree with your last sentence.. But we don't know the full story and we'll move on.

TOO

Post by TOO »

👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nice.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Split T wrote:I went with Ayton, but I change my mind almost daily, haha.

Who picked other? I'm guessing Michael Porter Jr?
It was me; you gotta go with either Yoeli Childs or Elijah Bryant at #1.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:

Mystery solved, and no new questions raised.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:

Haha, always impressed with your knowledge of byu basketball players. Both guys are actually kinda interesting, I don't know if they're realistically NBA prospects. Bryant can really shoot and has some pg skills. He's got decent size, but not sure he's an NBA athlete. Childs is very athletic, has a good frame with long arms, but he's probably too short and has no perimeter skills. They could be friends NBA guys that get to play on teams like Dallas and Phoenix during all out tank seasons, haha.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I think I'm starting to waver back to Ayton over Doncic. Ayton is just more of the sure thing. He would probably mesh better with Booker too.
"Be Legendary."