Who would you pick if we (OGW-willing) landed #1?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Who is your first choice if we land #1

Doncic
57%
Ayton
41%
Bagley
No votes
JJJ
No votes
Young
No votes
Bamba
No votes
Other
2%

Total votes: 61

In2ition

Re: Who would you pick if we (OGW-willing) landed #1?

Post by In2ition »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
Split T wrote:I think there is a pretty good chance Ayton both spreads the floor and protects the rim. And I don't think Doncic is as rare as you say.
Absolutely. Ayton is the best big to come out since AD. Yes, better than Embiid. Lets put it this way. Ayton is AD potential, Doncic is Gordon Hayward, maybe better. Maybe he has PG potential on the high end.

If we had gotten the #2 pick, we would be having this conversation trying to decide between Ayton and Doncic and feeling pretty good about our options. But now that we have the #1 pick, its Ayton all the way.
I do not think Ayton is a better C prospect than Embiid or Towns. If he ended up as good as either of those 2, I'd be pretty ecstatic. I think Ayton has the highest upside, but I think Doncic has the highest floor, I just don't see how he doesn't end up at least a very good player.
I think Ayton is definitely a better center prospect than Embiid was coming out of KU, otherwise he would have been #1 without question. I also think he has a higher ceiling than Towns, but lower floor. He very well may be the best big man prospect since AD, and even AD didn't win ROY.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Embiid would have gone #1 if he didn’t have health concerns

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

AmareIsGod wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:No idea if Bowie had a motor or not. I just don't want to take a big stiff, meanwhile, we miss out on a generational player.
A generational wing? That lacks athleticism and had character and emotional questions? That plays a position littered by a ton of similar players? Right. I guess Ayton is just another big.
What emotional questions does he have?

And you realize Giboili is a generational wing and that's the best comparison for Doncic right? The crazy thing his ceiling is better than even prime Ginobili.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

iLLmatic wrote: His motor still concerns me. I don't want the next Bowie, meanwhile Sacramento takes the next Jordan.
I think it's gonna be more like taking Oden while Sac takes Durant.

Ayton doesn't have injury issues now but the way he plays and big men built like him (see Embiid) generally end up with injury issues.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ayton is oden and Doncic isn't Durant.

Possible Ayton comps from low to high: Athletic Vucevic, Drummond with a jumpshot, Howard with a jumpshot, Cousins, Towns, Embiid, David Robinson

Possible Doncic comps: Hedo turkoglu, Tyreke Evans, Nic Batum, Gordon Hayward, Joe Johnson, Manu, Grant Hill, James Harden

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think Joe Johnson is a really good long term comparison for Doncic, but JJ was very gun shy early in his career because he couldn't really shoot. I think Doncic comes in with a lot more confidence.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

YES SIR MOTHERFUCKER!!!!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:YES SIR MOTHERFUCKER!!!!
About time!
"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Superbone wrote: Is she still alive? I just don't see how she would allow this day to be.
Hhaha perhaps she's getting even more cruel. You like how that #1 tastes? Wait untill the guy you pick busts out, or gets injuried, or you simply pick the wrong guy...

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
About time!
All this debate between Ayton and Doncic is silly. I’m just fucking happy that we have the first pick and can pick our top choice. I’ll be happy with either one are you kidding me. They’re both going to be good players at the very least, if not great. They both have skills that translate well to the NBA.

This is the best night for the Suns and our future in a long, long time.

Booker Jackson and this pick is a great starting point. The Suns just became the most intriguing rebuilding team in the league and are 1 year away from being able to attract a top level FA to town. Just don’t rush it and fuck it up, Ryan. Don’t waste our cap space PLEASE

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

specialsauce wrote:
Superbone wrote:
About time!
All this debate between Ayton and Doncic is silly. I’m just f*** happy that we have the first pick and can pick our top choice. I’ll be happy with either one are you kidding me. They’re both going to be good players at the very least, if not great. They both have skills that translate well to the NBA.

This is the best night for the Suns and our future in a long, long time.

Booker Jackson and this pick is a great starting point. The Suns just became the most intriguing rebuilding team in the league and are 1 year away from being able to attract a top level FA to town. Just don’t rush it and f*** it up, Ryan. Don’t waste our cap space PLEASE
100% e-fucking-xactly!!! People are going overboard with this Ayton vs Doncic debate. They will both be awesome. There is no wrong choice here, unless we do something fucking weird, we should be good.

WE GOT THE 1ST PICK! Let’s enjoy it god damn it!!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Eh watching this, Ayton’s defense is actually a lot worse than I imagined

[youtube][/youtube]

His timing is super, super bad. I think many D league players can score on him at will if given the opportunity.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Superbone wrote: Is she still alive? I just don't see how she would allow this day to be.
Hhaha perhaps she's getting even more cruel. You like how that #1 tastes? Wait untill the guy you pick busts out, or gets injuried, or you simply pick the wrong guy...
she'll make us be the first team in history to have a player do their ACL walking off the stage at the draft.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

The recency bias that the postseason often creates suggests that it might be more important to develop the best-possible collection of large and versatile guards and wings as possible. I’d draft Doncic and rest easy.
I trust the Ringer.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thanks. Good article showing why it's not a cut and dried decision.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think if Ayton were even average on defense, I would want him. But he's a bad defender. In today's NBA I just don't think the premium on big men exists any more. Doncic is a better passer, shooter, ball-handler, and defender than Ayton. There's no reason to draft a big man who isn't an elite defender and rim protector in 2018-19.

People keep comparing Ayton to David Robinson, but that's bunk. Robinson was an awesome defender. Ayton isn't even close. I think people are just comparing them because they both have big muscles or something.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

When it comes to Ayton's defense, I'll give him a little credit and state that I don't think it's poor because he doesn't make an effort. It's certainly possible he improves with better coaching and more practice.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I think if Ayton were even average on defense, I would want him. But he's a bad defender. In today's NBA I just don't think the premium on big men exists any more. Doncic is a better passer, shooter, ball-handler, and defender than Ayton. There's no reason to draft a big man who isn't an elite defender and rim protector in 2018-19.

People keep comparing Ayton to David Robinson, but that's bunk. Robinson was an awesome defender. Ayton isn't even close. I think people are just comparing them because they both have big muscles or something.
So many games are won today at the three point line it is hard not to go with Doncic. Some say he is not a great three point shooter. Josh Jackson has not been a great three point shooter. Well Devin Booker is a great three point shooter and will get better with the addition of Doncic and the the improvement that will come from Jackson. Our new coach has a history of improving three point shooters and I think these three guys are competitive enough to push each other to get better. I expect them all to be extremely dangerou going forward. On top of that they are all great ball handlers and willing distributors. I get excited just thinking about them together. I would find my big elsewhere other than Ayton.

Maybe I am wrong but I am also expecting huge improvement from Bender and Chriss as well. I just looked them up and they both are still just 20 years old. This group could really grow into something very special, with the right leadership. The right leader is Doncic.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I am a little confused. Doncic is or isn’t a PG? His comparisons make him sound like a 2.