Who would you pick if we (OGW-willing) landed #1?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Who is your first choice if we land #1

Doncic
57%
Ayton
41%
Bagley
No votes
JJJ
No votes
Young
No votes
Bamba
No votes
Other
2%

Total votes: 61

INFORMER

Re: Who would you pick if we (OGW-willing) landed #1?

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote:
INFORMER wrote:I don't really see a basis for calling Ayton "unstoppable" on offense.

At the NBA level, I think might have a harder time on the offensive end. He really isn't that good at catching the ball on the move, which will limit his screen and roll utility. He isn't an explosive finisher around the basket. And I don't think he is going to be able to hit the NBA 3 at a decent clip; his shooting form doesn't seem conducive to it.
Is this true? His hands seem positively Amare-like in all the videos I've watched of him.
His hands are great in tapping rebounds to himself. But go out there into the highlight universe and count how many times you see him catching a pass in stride and finishing at or around the rim without stopping to gather, bobbling the ball, are putting the ball on the floor.

I'm not going he has never done it, but I think it's rare; I've seen next to nothing in that regard, although I do have one more game of his to watch on the DVR.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
INFORMER wrote:I don't really see a basis for calling Ayton "unstoppable" on offense.

At the NBA level, I think might have a harder time on the offensive end. He really isn't that good at catching the ball on the move, which will limit his screen and roll utility. He isn't an explosive finisher around the basket. And I don't think he is going to be able to hit the NBA 3 at a decent clip; his shooting form doesn't seem conducive to it.
What do you think about Bagley on offense?
I like a lot of the elements to his offensive game better than Ayton's. I think Bagley has a better chance to be a NBA 3-point threat than Ayton. I also think he is more explosive around the basket. I don't like how Bagley is so content to take runners and sweeping hooks. I think his offensive game is a lot like Chris Bosh's, but with a little more power.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:

What do you think about Bagley on offense?
I like a lot of the elements to his offensive game better than Ayton's. I think Bagley has a better chance to be a NBA 3-point threat than Ayton. I also think he is more explosive around the basket. I don't like how Bagley is so content to take runners and sweeping hooks. I think his offensive game is a lot like Chris Bosh's, but with a little more power.
That's a good comparison and sounds like we have similar opinions of him. Just wish he'd show some defensive ability and I'd have him number 1 on my board.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Aren't you guys worried about how horrendous a FT shooter Bagley is?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I'm not thrilled about it, but I wouldn't call 63% as an 18 year old horrendous.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Someone wrote Bagley was like a bigger version of Josh Jackson, which I kind of get. I like Jackson, not sure I want a bigger version of him.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Bagely reminds me way too much of Michael Beasley. I want no part of him. JJJ reminds me a bit of Jayson Tatum, which is a very good thing.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wormwood wrote:Bagely reminds me way too much of M****** B******. I want no part of him. JJJ reminds me a bit of Jayson Tatum, which is a very good thing.
Both of those comparisons confuse me

carey

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:
Wormwood wrote:Bagely reminds me way too much of M****** B******. I want no part of him. JJJ reminds me a bit of Jayson Tatum, which is a very good thing.
Both of those comparisons confuse me
Same. :?:
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

https://twitter.com/sbordow/status/997565313884532736

Most interesting is probably the guys not on the list:

Mikal Bridges - not sure he is at the combine though
Miles Bridges
Jontay Porter

Pretty much every other top 15 guy is on the list though(except Ayton, Doncic, and Williams who aren't at the combine), although I probably missed someone.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Split T wrote:

Miles Bridges
Jontay Porter

Pretty much every other top 15 guy is on the list though(except Ayton, Doncic, and Williams who aren't at the combine), although I probably missed someone.
I just don't get the intrigue with Jontay Porter.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Split T wrote:

Miles Bridges
Jontay Porter

I just don't get the intrigue with Jontay Porter.
Size/shooting/rebounding/passing.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Exactly.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JustWinBaby wrote: San Antonio probably made a huge mistake in signing Aldridge. He scores 2 the other team scores 3.
Actually, that situation can be used to support drafting Ayton. The Spurs made it to the playoffs with Aldridge, great coaching, and a pretty lackluster roster. If Ayton can be Aldridge, joined by wing talent like Josh Jackson and Devon Booker, how much better could that combination be?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Yeah, LMA is not the problem with the Spurs

Cap

Post by Cap »

INFORMER wrote:
JustWinBaby wrote: San Antonio probably made a huge mistake in signing Aldridge. He scores 2 the other team scores 3.
Actually, that situation can be used to support drafting Ayton. The Spurs made it to the playoffs with Aldridge, great coaching, and a pretty lackluster roster. If Ayton can be Aldridge, joined by wing talent like Josh Jackson and Devon Booker, how much better could that combination be?
Yeah, if Kokoskov turns out to be the next Pop, we’re in good shape.

But what are the odds of that?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Some of you guys are Debbie Downers. I would have thought some sunshine and optimism would hit you all after getting the #1 pick.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Cap wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Yeah, if Kokoskov turns out to be the next Pop, we’re in good shape.

But what are the odds of that?
He doesn't have to be. He just has to be a coach that elevates the team and gets the best out of his players. Not on a Poppovich or Brad Stevens level, but definitely to a discernible extent.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:I would have thought some sunshine and optimism would hit you all after getting the #1 pick.
You must be new here. :-)

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Surprised by the poll results. I would've thought it would've been like 90% Ayton.

Impressed that not everyone here is UoA homers like ASFN boards.
Last edited by UglyTruth on Sat May 19, 2018 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.