Who would you pick if we (OGW-willing) landed #1?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Who is your first choice if we land #1

Doncic
57%
Ayton
41%
Bagley
No votes
JJJ
No votes
Young
No votes
Bamba
No votes
Other
2%

Total votes: 61

Split T

Re: Who would you pick if we (OGW-willing) landed #1?

Post by Split T »

JustWinBaby wrote:Yeah I guess it would be stupid to build a roster that shares the ball. Those teams just suck. Why would we want to emulate what works? Let's be different. Well we have been different for about 10 years and counting.

All of you are in love with Brad Stevens, well the Celtics share the ball and they do not have a dominant Big, nor do they need one. They do not even have a dominant PG, now that Kyrie is on the mend. They do shoot and make a lot of threes. That is what all of the teams still playing seem to do night in night out.

I really do not like the Houston offense. Far too much one on one for my taste. While they won a lot of games, the ball gets stuck in Harden's and Paul's hands far too much.

If we do draft Ayton, which I expect we will, I hope Igor can develop an offense that moves the ball and can shoot the 3 ball efficiently.
You can still move the ball with a dominant big. Ayton is actually a pretty good passer. We don't need to draft Doncic to have ball movement.

People may call me crazy but I think a lot of what we can get out of Doncic we can get out of Tyreke Evans. Doncic is obviously younger and has a higher ceiling, but I'd take Ayton/Tyreke over Doncic/Dedmon or Capela.

Add Tyreke and we've got 3 wings 6'6 or taller that can all handle and move the ball. Add our pg's and we've got a lot of ball movement on the perimeter.

And guess what? Having a dominant big man in the middle who passes very well and can step out and hit a jumper is going to make things so much easier for those perimeter players.

I just feel like saying, the warriors don't have a true center, you must not be able to win with a true center is inaccurate.

Did Philly lose because of Embiid? No, they lost because Boston figured out how to defend Ben Simmons

Did Minny lose because of KAT? Admittedly KAT had a bad series, but I think they lost because Butler wasn't healthy and quite simply, Houston is just better.

Golden State wins with their small ball lineup because it's really not all that small. KD is a 7'0 wing and Draymond can defend almost any modern big. If some team comes along with a dominant big that Draymond can't defend, you force GS to play Zaza and Javale.

I don't know that Ayton is that player, but he might be. What Doncic has done is very impressive and I would not complain if we chose to go that direction, but I do think Ayton has a higher ceiling.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JustWinBaby wrote:Yeah I guess it would be stupid to build a roster that shares the ball. Those teams just suck. Why would we want to emulate what works? Let's be different. Well we have been different for about 10 years and counting.

All of you are in love with Brad Stevens, well the Celtics share the ball and they do not have a dominant Big, nor do they need one. They do not even have a dominant PG, now that Kyrie is on the mend. They do shoot and make a lot of threes. That is what all of the teams still playing seem to do night in night out.

I really do not like the Houston offense. Far too much one on one for my taste. While they won a lot of games, the ball gets stuck in Harden's and Paul's hands far too much.

If we do draft Ayton, which I expect we will, I hope Igor can develop an offense that moves the ball and can shoot the 3 ball efficiently.
Now you're being ridiculous. Where did I or anybody else say we shouldn't share the ball? Just because you have a dominant big doesn't mean you can't share and move the ball around for the best shot available.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:

Now you're being ridiculous. Where did I or anybody else say we shouldn't share the ball? Just because you have a dominant big doesn't mean you can't share and move the ball around for the best shot available.
Especially if said dominant big is mobile, offensively efficient both in the paint and from deep, and himself a good passer.

carey

Post by carey »

Anyone read this bullshit yet? http://arizonasports.com/story/1529902/ ... ng-report/
Luka Doncic scouting report
— Dominated at age 18

— Has done things in Europe that no one has done before at his age

— European league not as good as it used to be – competition is weaker. Only about 8-10 good teams now

— Might have reached his peak

— Could struggle in more physical NBA

— Non-athletic

— Talent through the roof

— Tremendously skilled – can shoot, dribble, pass

— Very immature

— Not mentally or emotionally prepared to play in NBA right now​

— Entitled

— Full of himself

— Not liked by teammates

— Is not a point guard at next level … is a wing playmaker who can play the 2-3 but can at times guard 4 different positions

— Should absolutely be in consideration for No. 1 pick because of his overall talent
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

carey wrote:Anyone read this bullshit yet? http://arizonasports.com/story/1529902/ ... ng-report/
— Dominated at age 18

— European league not as good as it used to be – competition is weaker. Only about 8-10 good teams now

— Non-athletic

— Very immature

— Entitled

— Full of himself

— Not liked by teammates

— Is not a point guard at next level … is a wing playmaker who can play the 2-3 but can at times guard 4 different positions

— Should absolutely be in consideration for No. 1 pick because of his overall talent
:shock: I suppose it's easy to spit out bullshit disguised as an "anonymous evaluator". But Gambo should be thoroughly ashamed of himself for posting this.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I can't speak on any of the maturity/teammate comments, but everything else seems pretty reasonable. The pretty universal knocks on Doncic are that he's not a great athlete and may struggle as the primary ball handler, especially against pressure.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Split T wrote:I don't think that's actually a good idea. Why replicate the warriors? We're not going to be able to. I think the way to beat them is to play differently, make them adjust. It's why I think Philly is such a potential nightmare for them. Who on GS defends Embiid? It's why cousins and AD were intriguing.
The concerning thing is that the 6ers died on Embiid post-ups against the Celtics. And if the Celtics handled it, GS would as well.

https://twitter.com/zachlowe_nba/status/993161428356956161

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Split T wrote:I can't speak on any of the maturity/teammate comments, but everything else seems pretty reasonable. The pretty universal knocks on Doncic are that he's not a great athlete and may struggle as the primary ball handler, especially against pressure.
How is it that he has talent through the roof, but may have already peaked?

carey

Post by carey »

These are my thoughts on Gambo's "article."

He may not be trying to smear Doncic, but something is clearly going on. If you DVR'd the draft you weren't done watching it before Gambo said we're 100% selecting Ayton. Then today there's an article out where Doncic is entitled & immature, that he's peaked, etc. It's possible that Gambo is just using his influence to prepare listeners for the inevitable Ayton selection. Or maybe he's pandering to the audience. Gambo knows as well as any where his bread is buttered, and he's as close to Sarver as any local media guy. And one last thought, we don't know who his anonymous scout is. For all we know this could all be an attempt at causing Doncic to fall in the draft for another team's gain.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Hermen wrote:
Split T wrote:I can't speak on any of the maturity/teammate comments, but everything else seems pretty reasonable. The pretty universal knocks on Doncic are that he's not a great athlete and may struggle as the primary ball handler, especially against pressure.
Having talent doesn't necessarily mean it's untapped talent. Doncic is already a really good player at 19, it's possible he doesn't get much better.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Split T wrote:
Hermen wrote:
Having talent doesn't necessarily mean it's untapped talent. Doncic is already a really good player at 19, it's possible he doesn't get much better.
He's not through-the-roof good though :)

carey

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:Having talent doesn't necessarily mean it's untapped talent. Doncic is already a really good player at 19, it's possible he doesn't get much better.
That's possible for literally every player in every sport in every draft ever. Come on, man.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:
Split T wrote:Having talent doesn't necessarily mean it's untapped talent. Doncic is already a really good player at 19, it's possible he doesn't get much better.
That's possible for literally every player in every sport in every draft ever. Come on, man.
I didn't make the original statement, I'm just trying to explain it.

carey

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:I didn't make the original statement, I'm just trying to explain it.
Split, that clearly wasn't Gambo's implication. Agreed?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Split T wrote:
Hermen wrote:
It isn't possible. He's a kid still. Doncic will continue to improve beyond 18-19 years old. That's a dumb statement to make, sorry.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

iLLmatic wrote:
Split T wrote:
Hermen wrote:
It isn't possible. He's a kid still. Doncic will continue to improve beyond 18-19 years old. That's a dumb statement to make, sorry.
Actually, it is not. Many child prodigies max out their abilities at young ages. Many athletes do too. You have to ask yourself how likely it is that his body will mature and change in an advantageous way. Then, are there skills that he will likely improve? Its far from a given one way or the other.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

JCSunsfan wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:
Split T wrote:
Hermen wrote:
Actually, it is not. Many child prodigies max out their abilities at young ages. Many athletes do too. You have to ask yourself how likely it is that his body will mature and change in an advantageous way. Then, are there skills that he will likely improve? Its far from a given one way or the other.
You think he's learned all the nuances for basketball at 19? He will continue to improve and get better with time. The game will continue to slow down for him, he'll get even more crafty with the ball, his shot will continue to improve. Luka is just scratching the surface at his age. He's a baby.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Hermen wrote:
carey wrote:Anyone read this bullshit yet? http://arizonasports.com/story/1529902/ ... ng-report/
— Dominated at age 18

— Non-athletic

— Very immature

— Entitled

— Full of himself

— Not liked by teammates

:shock: I suppose it's easy to spit out bullshit disguised as an "anonymous evaluator". But Gambo should be thoroughly ashamed of himself for posting this.
I really do not care about what Gambo says regarding Doncic. Kokoskov knows. So the Suns know. So what Gambo thinks doesn't matter. There can be no information that Gambo can have about Doncic that the Suns do not already have.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

iLLmatic wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:
Split T wrote:
Hermen wrote: How is it that he has talent through the roof, but may have already peaked?
You think he's learned all the nuances for basketball at 19? He will continue to improve and get better with time. The game will continue to slow down for him, he'll get even more crafty with the ball, his shot will continue to improve. Luka is just scratching the surface at his age. He's a baby.
OK. I will quote myself. Its far from a given one way or the other.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Hermen wrote: :shock: I suppose it's easy to spit out bullshit disguised as an "anonymous evaluator". But Gambo should be thoroughly ashamed of himself for posting this.
I really do not care about what Gambo says regarding Doncic. Kokoskov knows. So the Suns know. So what Gambo thinks doesn't matter. There can be no information that Gambo can have about Doncic that the Suns do not already have.
Oh, I don't think Suns get their scouting reports from Gambo (at least I'd like to think so :D). This is likely a PR spin, as Carey mentioned. A lame and cheap one.