Who's your top guy at 16 if we keep the pick.

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Who is your top target at 16?

Jontay Porter
26%
Robert Williams
2%
Zhaire Smith
11%
Aaron Holiday
26%
Shake Milton
7%
DeAnthony Melton
No votes
Mitchell Robinson
4%
Kevin Knox
No votes
Keita Bates-Diop
No votes
Khyri Thomas
2%
Jacob Evans
No votes
Anfernee Simons
No votes
Troy Brown
2%
Lonnie Walker
4%
Dzanan Musa
4%
Rodions Kuric
No votes
Other
11%

Total votes: 46

Mori Chu

Re: Who's your top guy at 16 if we keep the pick.

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:24 am
DiVicenzo is someone you take late 1st or early/mid 2nd. The fact he's getting talked about in the mid 1st round tell you this isn't a great draft IMO.
I think this draft is pretty exciting, though it depends what one is looking for. The top 7-8 prospects look really enticing, and there are some interesting scattered pieces below that. I think this feels like a stronger draft than most years; certainly better than 2 years ago, when the RotY ends up being Malcolm Brogdan, for example.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:52 pm
ShelC wrote:
DiVicenzo is someone you take late 1st or early/mid 2nd. The fact he's getting talked about in the mid 1st round tell you this isn't a great draft IMO.
I think this draft is pretty exciting, though it depends what one is looking for. The top 7-8 prospects look really enticing, and there are some interesting scattered pieces below that. I think this feels like a stronger draft than most years; certainly better than 2 years ago, when the RotY ends up being Malcolm Brogdan, for example.
Or this year, when Tatum’s the best of the draft class (but will likely lose the ROTY to Ben Simmons).

This is the best draft in a long time.

* grumble, grumble, Brandon Knight, grumble grumble *

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:48 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Or this year, when Tatum’s the best of the draft class (but will likely lose the ROTY to Ben Simmons).

Do you really think Tatum was better/more deserving than Mitchell this year?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:03 am
Cap wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:48 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Do you really think Tatum was better/more deserving than Mitchell this year?
Tatum, Mitchell, whatever. Either way, less impressive than most ROTYs.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I am not as familiar with the prospects likely to be available in the #16 range, but it seems like most of them are guards and swingmen. It'd be nice if we could find a rotation guard at this pick; our guard rotation is pretty iffy beyond Booker. I still like Ulis more than most, but I wouldn't try to claim he's a starting caliber PG right now.

I don't think I want us to trade for Kemba Walker. His stat profile looks too much like Bledsoe's to me, a PG who holds the ball a bit too much and isn't especially adept at setting up others. And he'll require a big payday soon. He's a talented player, but that's just not quite the type of PG I love. You guys know I love PGs like Nash, Rubio, Doncic, guys who pass first and are excellent at running an offense and reading a play. Not "scorers" who happen to pass sometimes. Most of the "scorer" PGs don't shoot well enough to really be valuable IMO; they're only good at attacking the basket and at high-volume, low-efficiency scoring, which I think actually hurts a team most of the time when there are other players like Booker and Ayton who should be fed the ball instead.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Kemba's a basketball player. He's one of my favorites in the league but I wouldn't necessarily want him on the roster because of fit and contract. He's also not Bledsoe at all.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

I think I would rather the Suns sell #16 for cash considerations than waste it on a ***** ****** like Aaron Holiday.

If he wasn’t a brother of an NBA player (an old fetish the Suns have long had since Sarver bought the team), I bet we wouldn’t even look his way at all.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I'll be slightly underwhelmed if Holiday is the pick, but he's not a bad pick. He can play the point, defends his position and he can really shoot.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Ugh. Take a guy because he can play, not because your #1 pick likes him.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMannixYS/status/1009824725227397121

https://twitter.com/ChrisMannixYS/status/1009825795437522944

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:21 am
I'll be slightly underwhelmed if Holiday is the pick, but he's not a bad pick. He can play the point, defends his position and he can really shoot.
We need shooters, but I don't think he'll be able to defend anyone in the NBA. Maybe Ulis. Still, you're not going to get a perfect prospect at 16. I wouldn't be too upset with getting him.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:07 am
Split T wrote:
We need shooters, but I don't think he'll be able to defend anyone in the NBA. Maybe Ulis. Still, you're not going to get a perfect prospect at 16. I wouldn't be too upset with getting him.
Why don't you think he'll be able to defend?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:18 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Split T wrote:
He's just so small. Teams with bigger scorers are going to switch onto him every chance they get.

I've only watched a little of him, so I'm not taking myself too seriously on this. But I would be very surprised if he was 6' tall in socks.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Split T wrote:
He’s a worse version of Brandon Knight.

Look at his turnover/assist ratio.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'd be really happy if this happened:

https://twitter.com/sbordow/status/1009811353979138050

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:27 am
Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:18 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Split T wrote:
He's just so small. Teams with bigger scorers are going to switch onto him every chance they get.

I've only watched a little of him, so I'm not taking myself too seriously on this. But I would be very surprised if he was 6' tall in socks.
6'0 in socks, well 5'11.75 and 6'1 in shoes with a 6'7.5 winspan. He measured almost exactly to what Eric Bledsoe measured. He won't be able to switch and can't cover 2's for Booker, but I don't see any reason he won't be able to defend other pg's.

Split T

Post by Split T »

UglyTruth wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:37 am
Split T wrote:
He’s a worse version of Brandon Knight.

Look at his turnover/assist ratio.
Fair, he's not a perfect prospect, he wouldn't be available at 16 if he was. I think he'll be a Darren Collison with more dynamic shooting ability. The guy shot 43% from 3 on 6 attempts a game.

carey

Post by carey »

I'd be really disappointed if we traded up for Sexton. I'd almost prefer Holiday versus using our assets for Sexton. I think Shai is interesting but the kid can't shoot. I'm worried about PGs that can't shoot in today's NBA. Especially if you already run JJ and Warren heavy minutes.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:23 am
I'd be really disappointed if we traded up for Sexton. I'd almost prefer Holiday versus using our assets for Sexton. I think Shai is interesting but the kid can't shoot. I'm worried about PGs that can't shoot in today's NBA. Especially if you already run JJ and Warren heavy minutes.
I agree about Sexton...I wouldn't hate it if we just picked him at 16, but I would not be happy if we traded up to draft him. As for SGA, I think the better way to put it is we don't know if he'll shoot. He shot pretty well (40%) on limited attempts. He's strictly a spot up shooter right now, but his form looks good and his high percentages from the line and from 3 indicate he can be a good shooter. There is a little Elfrid Payton risk with him though.

Okobo is who I want if we stay at 16. He's a fantastic shooter who can pull up off the Dribble or spot up. He's got decent size at 6'3 with a 6'8 wingspan, good handle and a developing playmaking game.
Last edited by Split T on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

TOO

Post by TOO »

carey wrote:
I would not be disappointed. He's a gym rat, smart dude, competes hard on both ends. Big fan.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Split T

Post by Split T »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:31 am
carey wrote:
I would not be disappointed. He's a gym rat, smart dude, competes hard on both ends. Big fan.
All good points, I just don't like the fit with booker. I know drafting for fit can get you in trouble but my ideal PG next to Booker would provide shooting, defense (ideally the ability to defend multiple positions), and playmaking. Sexton is underwhelming at all 3. His shot isn't broken or anything but I'm not convinced it will ever be a strength. He'll defend pg's, but he won't cover for Booker, and he's very much a score first guy.