Who's your top guy at 16 if we keep the pick.

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Who is your top target at 16?

Jontay Porter
26%
Robert Williams
2%
Zhaire Smith
11%
Aaron Holiday
26%
Shake Milton
7%
DeAnthony Melton
No votes
Mitchell Robinson
4%
Kevin Knox
No votes
Keita Bates-Diop
No votes
Khyri Thomas
2%
Jacob Evans
No votes
Anfernee Simons
No votes
Troy Brown
2%
Lonnie Walker
4%
Dzanan Musa
4%
Rodions Kuric
No votes
Other
11%

Total votes: 46

O_Gardino

Re: Who's your top guy at 16 if we keep the pick.

Post by O_Gardino »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:46 am
Unless SGA is available at 16, I don't think we should use that pick on a PG. We've got enough backup PGs on this team and the players in that range are not players you can start from day 1.
Is SGA quick enough to start in the NBA? I don't question his IQ, but I do wonder if he will have the speed to keep up.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

He's pretty adept at using his length to get by people, I think he'll be fine in the NBA. He's my top target at 16, although I don't think he makes it that far...I think Charlotte might take him.

TOO

Post by TOO »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:27 am
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:46 am
Unless SGA is available at 16, I don't think we should use that pick on a PG. We've got enough backup PGs on this team and the players in that range are not players you can start from day 1.
Is SGA quick enough to start in the NBA? I don't question his IQ, but I do wonder if he will have the speed to keep up.
I don't know if he has enough offensive ability to be a lead guard, I think creating for himself will be a problem.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I think DiVincenzo is a dark horse candidate at 16. His stock seems to rising quite a bit and his recent interview instead of a workout with the suns has me wondering. This is all gut feeling though. I would’ve been cool with him at 31 but it looks like he’s going to be gone way before that.
Last edited by Wally_West on Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Wally_West wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:42 pm
I think DiVincenzo is a dark horse candidate at 16. His stock seems to rising quite a bit and his recent interview instead of a workout with the suns has me wondering. This is all guy feeling though. I would’ve been cool with him at 31 but it looks like he’s going to be gone way before that.
Crazy how the kid was rarely productive at Nova, has a great game at the right time and boom, mid 1st.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:48 pm
Wally_West wrote:
I think DiVincenzo is a dark horse candidate at 16. His stock seems to rising quite a bit and his recent interview instead of a workout with the suns has me wondering. This is all guy feeling though. I would’ve been cool with him at 31 but it looks like he’s going to be gone way before that.
Crazy how the kid was rarely productive at Nova, has a great game at the right time and boom, mid 1st.
Haha, right! The dude is a green room invitee.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wally_West wrote:
I don't know that I'd call him rarely productive. 18/6/5 per 40 and shot .48/.40

He's certainly been helped by a strong final four and strong combine, but he's a solid player..I think there will be better ones at 16, but I'd be optimistic about him if he's the pick.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:43 pm
Wally_West wrote:
I don't know that I'd call him rarely productive. 18/6/5 per 40 and shot .48/.40

He's certainly been helped by a strong final four and strong combine, but he's a solid player..I think there will be better ones at 16, but I'd be optimistic about him if he's the pick.
Nobody plays 40 minutes.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Wally_West wrote:
He was intriguing before, and then at the combine his athleticism was off the charts. He is a Rex Chapman type of player.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:53 pm
Split T wrote:
Wally_West wrote:

Nobody plays 40 minutes.
Doesn't change his productivity. He played 30 minutes a game, so like 14/4.5/4 on same shooting. Not sure why you call him unproductive. He was 3rd/4th guy in the best team in the country.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:03 am
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:53 pm
Split T wrote:
Wally_West wrote:

Nobody plays 40 minutes.
Doesn't change his productivity. He played 30 minutes a game, so like 14/4.5/4 on same shooting. Not sure why you call him unproductive. He was 3rd/4th guy in the best team in the country.
He was their 6th man, and was 2nd on the team in assists, 3rd in scoring, and 4th in rebounds per game. "Rarely productive" is just not an accurate take.

The reason he's climbing the draft boards is that he's a late bloomer. Nobody had even heard of him in high school, he didn't play much as a freshman, had a small role as a sophomore, and really came into his own as a junior. Then, as someone pointed out, his combine measurables really surprised people. Scouts and media people are just now realizing that he has the drive and ability to improve his game and the athleticism to compete in the NBA.

I wouldn't be mad at all if we end up with him.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

DiVicenzo is someone you take late 1st or early/mid 2nd. The fact he's getting talked about in the mid 1st round tell you this isn't a great draft IMO.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:24 am
DiVicenzo is someone you take late 1st or early/mid 2nd. The fact he's getting talked about in the mid 1st round tell you this isn't a great draft IMO.
Because 40% 3pt shooters with 42 inch verticals that can defend, dribble, and pass just aren't that valuable :roll:

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:19 am
ShelC wrote:
Because 40% 3pt shooters with 42 inch verticals that can defend, dribble, and pass just aren't that valuable :roll:
Dude. He's white. He cannot possibly be athletic. :roll:

That IS what happened. He came off the bench at Nova. So he got missed. He was white, so while people thought that he had decent athleticism for a white guy. But that performance in the tourney AND THE WAY THAT HE JUST TOOK IT IN STRIDE AS IF THIS IS EXACTLY WHO HE IS got people's attention. Then, his athleticism blew people away at the combine and people knew he has all the tools AND THE MINDSET.

Seems I remember another SG who came off the bench on a great college team and turned out OK for us.

TOO

Post by TOO »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:53 am
Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:19 am
ShelC wrote:
Dude. He's white. He cannot possibly be athletic. :roll:

That IS what happened. He came off the bench at Nova. So he got missed. He was white, so while people thought that he had decent athleticism for a white guy. But that performance in the tourney AND THE WAY THAT HE JUST TOOK IT IN STRIDE AS IF THIS IS EXACTLY WHO HE IS got people's attention. Then, his athleticism blew people away at the combine and people knew he has all the tools AND THE MINDSET.

Seems I remember another SG who came off the bench on a great college team and turned out OK for us.
:shock:

TOO

Post by TOO »

My thing with Donte was the fact that he was ok for most of the season, he started the season looking like a nobody, played ok, had a fantastic run at the end and went from a guy nobody was talking about drafting to possibly mid 1st. I dont wanna be the team that overdrafts the burst onto the scene late guy.

I don't think we pick at 16 anyway, so its all probably moot.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:39 am
Because we trade up, or trade down/out?

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

It wouldn't surprised me if the Suns ended up trading down a few spots to draft Ekobo or Holiday. Unless someone drops, I think I’d probably prefer to do that.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Cap wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:48 am
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:39 am
Because we trade up, or trade down/out?
Up or out for a PG. If a guy like Young slips, I could see McD making a run at him, or if they can acquire a solid vet PG. McD has been pretty clear that he thinks we need a 1 and 5.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I think the chance that we trade down in this draft at any point is exactly 0%