Roster Rebuild Game

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: Roster Rebuild Game

Post by Ring_Wanted »

O_Gardino wrote:You make 5 moves this summer:
I'm going to do two scenarios, one for Ayton-Bagley (focused on trading) and one for Doncic (focused on FA).

#1 pick.- Ayton-Bagley/Doncic.

#16 pick.- Jontay Porter.

#31 pick.- I trade it along with Bender (and Daniels) for the best future 1stR pick I can get.

From here on, look at these alternatives; one via FA, one via trade.

If I have Doncic, I'd look at ways to add Redick and Dedmon. Reddick I am sure wants his 20M over three or four seasons. The first team that puts this money on the table at 12:01 grabs him, I believe. Dedmon at 12-15M. In order to do this, you need to generate as much cap space as possible, which means stretching Chandler and Knight (you can keep Sauce and Dudley, though).

If I have Ayton, I would offer CHA a way out of Batum and Marvin in exchange for Kemba. Besides filler to match salary, I'd offer Chriss, 1stR pick. Could be convinced to add something more, but nothing big. We add instant upgrades at PG, shooting and IQ.

Plan Ayton/Bagley: PG.- Kemba, SG.- Booker, SF.- Jackson, PF.- Marvin, C.- Ayton/Bagley with Batum, Warren, Porter, Sauce off the bench, plus Shaq, Dudley, Ulis and Reed.

Plan Doncic: PG.- Doncic, SG.- Booker, SF.- Jackson, PF.- Porter, C.- Dedmon with Redick, Warren, Shaq, Dudley, Sauce plus Ulis, Reed.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This thread is tough for me to read. You guys are playing in fantasy land to some degree. Draft both Ayton and Bagley? (First of all, why? Second, why would any top-4 lotto team make that trade?) Trade mediocre pieces for Kawhi? Sign guys who aren't even FAs? Trade for Love & Leonard in 3 team deal? This is all nice, but quite unlikely. Why not throw Lebron and Curry on the team while you're at it?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:This thread is tough for me to read. You guys are playing in fantasy land to some degree. Draft both Ayton and Bagley? (First of all, why? Second, why would any top-4 lotto team make that trade?) Trade mediocre pieces for Kawhi? Sign guys who aren't even FAs? Trade for Love & Leonard in 3 team deal? This is all nice, but quite unlikely. Why not throw Lebron and Curry on the team while you're at it?
Remember this?
sports radio 610 presents real sports radio genius
*real sports radio genius*
today we salute you mr preposterous trade suggester
*mr preposterous trade suggester*
you call us up with a totally straight face and actually suggest trading the 11th and 12th man on the bench for a 6 time all star
*we’ll throw in the trainer*
with you managing a team you would throw caution to the wind and concoct a 5 team 23 player deal including the car valet at the stadium
*its under the cap now*
so crack open an ice cold low carb bud light mr. preposterous trade suggester, without you, sports radio 610 would be all garden talk, all the time
bud light, anheiseur busch, houston, texas.
I’d pay money for an audio recording.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Ring's post was about Ayton OR Bagley, not both.

I think it's interesting to read about what posters are hoping for badly enough that they think it might be reasonable.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

carey

Post by carey »

O_Gardino wrote:Ring's post was about Ayton OR Bagley, not both.

I think it's interesting to read about what posters are hoping for badly enough that they think it might be reasonable.
Yeah, and the Marvin in his line-up is Marvin Williams. So idk how you misread that one, Marty.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:This thread is tough for me to read. You guys are playing in fantasy land to some degree. Draft both Ayton and Bagley? (First of all, why? Second, why would any top-4 lotto team make that trade?) Trade mediocre pieces for Kawhi? Sign guys who aren't even FAs? Trade for Love & Leonard in 3 team deal? This is all nice, but quite unlikely. Why not throw Lebron and Curry on the team while you're at it?
It was silly and not based in reality.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Cap wrote:
Remember this?
sports radio 610 presents real sports radio genius
*real sports radio genius*
today we salute you mr preposterous trade suggester
you call us up with a totally straight face and actually suggest trading the 11th and 12th man on the bench for a 6 time all star
*we’ll throw in the trainer*
with you managing a team you would throw caution to the wind and concoct a 5 team 23 player deal including the car valet at the stadium
*its under the cap now*
so crack open an ice cold low carb bud light mr. preposterous trade suggester, without you, sports radio 610 would be all garden talk, all the time
bud light, anheiseur busch, houston, texas.
I’d pay money for an audio recording.
I have all the real men of genius backed up on my PC, including that one. I'll look for it later.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Just wait until reality hits in a couple of months. That's going to be a really tough read.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

O_Gardino wrote:I think it's interesting to read about what posters are hoping for badly enough that they think it might be reasonable.
Agreed. Would love to see something drawn by others.

In my case I aimed at non superstars to keep it 'realistic'. I know fully well that we are not getting Kawhi. Or Love. But there are other opportunities out there. The Suns have a lot of assets and flexibility, plus the mindset to use them to improve. Again, everything starts with the coach.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Okay Mister Realistic let’s see your rebuild idea then!

You really think Josh Jackson + Miami pick + our unprotected pick next year + Chriss is a bunch of mediocre pieces?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

specialsauce wrote:Okay Mister Realistic let’s see your rebuild idea then!

You really think Josh Jackson + Miami pick + our unprotected pick next year + Chriss is a bunch of mediocre pieces?
My roster moves would be more conservative and incremental. I'd want to wait until I know what pick we get first. In terms of FAs/trades, I don't want to radically blow up our team with huge trades. But depending on the draft I might want to pursue Kevin Love or DeAndre Jordan. I wouldn't want to go get a big if we also drafted Ayton or Bagley; if we did that, I'd rather try to figure out what we should do at the PG position. Maybe Dejounte Murray.

I'd be fine with trading Josh Jackson, but I don't think those assets add up to being worth Kawhi Leonard. Yes, I think all of those pieces are mediocre; the best asset is Jackson, and while he had a promising second half of his rookie season, it's still far short of equal value for Kawhi.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

You never get full value back for a superstar in a trade.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Just as a general point, we have 9 guys on guaranteed contracts, 5 or 6 guys signed to unguaranteed deals, and 2 expiring (Len and Payton).

Even if we drop Payton and Len and just draft our picks, we will have to make some decisions about which end of the bench guys we drop. And if we drop g-leaguers to bring in one or 2 starters, we are back in logjam city. So, I think you have to make at least one move that sends out a player like Warren, Chriss, or Knight to avoid benching guys that need to play.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

Any interest in Lillard/McCollum? I think they break that backcourt up this summer. I don't like the fit with booker for either, but I'd listen for Lillard. Although I think Portland would want our #1 pick and I'm not moving that for Lillard.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:Any interest in Lillard/McCollum? I think they break that backcourt up this summer. I don't like the fit with booker for either, but I'd listen for Lillard. Although I think Portland would want our #1 pick and I'm not moving that for Lillard.
Lillard's a ballhog and he doesn't defend. I think he's grossly overrated. I like McCollum a bit more, but we already have our SG in Booker, so I don't think we need to give up assets for a player like CJ.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:Any interest in Lillard/McCollum? I think they break that backcourt up this summer. I don't like the fit with booker for either, but I'd listen for Lillard. Although I think Portland would want our #1 pick and I'm not moving that for Lillard.
If you want to go that route at PG, I believe Kemba would be a better target. More available and cheaper.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Since I waffle back forth on Doncic or Ayton, here is my roster rebuild with Doncic, and thinking the Suns won't be quite as successful as they hope.

1-2. Doncic
16. Mitchell Robinson
31. Bonga
59. Antetokounmpo

Let Bonga and Antetokounmpo develop overseas or G-League

FA. Exum

Sign & trade for Dedmon

Doncic/Knight/Harrison
Booker/Exum/Daniels
Jackson/Warren/Dudley
Bender/Chriss
Dedmon/Chandler/Williams/Robinson
Last edited by In2ition on Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

We dont need to draft another lesser brother. Second round or not.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Lillard's a ballhog and he doesn't defend. I think he's grossly overrated. I like McCollum a bit more, but we already have our SG in Booker, so I don't think we need to give up assets for a player like CJ.
I wonder if Philly would look to move Fultz for McCollum?
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think Philly would definitely do that. Would Portland? It saves them money as Fultz is on a rookie deal, but Fultz/Lillard runs into similar problems as McCollum/Lillard. I think Portland might prefer a deal based around Saric