2018 Free Agency

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JCSunsfan

Re: 2018 Free Agency

Post by JCSunsfan »

ShelC wrote:Maybe Igor can be a PG whisperer and get more out of Knight than we're expecting.
Igor's system is perfect for BK. BK does great sliding off screens and double screens. He will feast in that environment. If Igor can cure him of his hero ball tendencies, BK might be the best PG available to the Suns.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

To me, the hero ball thing is easy to solve. As soon as he starts doing it, you yank him. Simple as that. He'll learn that if he wants to play, he has to play the right way.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:To me, the hero ball thing is easy to solve. As soon as he starts doing it, you yank him. Simple as that. He'll learn that if he wants to play, he has to play the right way.
Given the current makeup of the roster, all he has to do is outplay Tyler Ulis and Shaq Harrison to make it difficult to yank him.

Of course, we're talking about Brandon Knight, so meeting even that minimal standard would be a significant improvement.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:To me, the hero ball thing is easy to solve. As soon as he starts doing it, you yank him. Simple as that. He'll learn that if he wants to play, he has to play the right way.
Given the current makeup of the roster, all he has to do is outplay Tyler Ulis and Shaq Harrison to make it difficult to yank him.

Of course, we're talking about Brandon Knight, so meeting even that minimal standard would be a significant improvement.
I don't care who's behind him. The hero ball has to stop or he doesn't play, period. Thankfully, neither Ulis nor Harrison play hero ball.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

For all his other flaws, Ulis is a pass-first PG. He gets it. Knight generally seems to be a shoot-first guard and therefore doesn't "get it" by my standards of what a PG should do. I don't think it is fixable at this point in Knight's career.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:For all his other flaws, Ulis is a pass-first PG. He gets it. Knight generally seems to be a shoot-first guard and therefore doesn't "get it" by my standards of what a PG should do. I don't think it is fixable at this point in Knight's career.
Come on. Knight is a smart guy. The coach is a smart guy. They can figure it out together. (All of a sudden I feel like Hubie Brown with that "Come on." at the beginning of my post.)
"Be Legendary."

jonh

Post by jonh »

Superbone wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:For all his other flaws, Ulis is a pass-first PG. He gets it. Knight generally seems to be a shoot-first guard and therefore doesn't "get it" by my standards of what a PG should do. I don't think it is fixable at this point in Knight's career.
Come on. Knight is a smart guy. The coach is a smart guy. They can figure it out together. (All of a sudden I feel like Hubie Brown with that "Come on." at the beginning of my post.)
Maybe if they did more yoga together...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

jonh wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Maybe if they did more yoga together...
Dude, those days are long gone. Get over it. Sarver is more a fan of arts and crafts.
"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Watson never held Knight accountable. Hornacek played him as a 2.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:Come on. Knight is a smart guy. The coach is a smart guy. They can figure it out together. (All of a sudden I feel like Hubie Brown with that "Come on." at the beginning of my post.)
Excellent timeout here by Superbone. Now, see, you're Brandon Knight. You are a smart guy. And you're going to come back to this team that has been without you for a whole season. Now, okay, you're Igor Kokoskov. You are the new coach. You are trying to instill a new philosophy. You are a smart guy. And so you find a way to work it out!

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

I can hear Watson coaching BK right now.

“Man, just be true to yourself and we will be ok. I love you. Just love yourself on the court out there and everything will work out. But you know, if you pass the ball to Devin you will be loving him too. And you know we all need to love one another.”

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

In2ition wrote:Imo, it will be nearly impossible to get Capela signed without Houston matching. Jordan seems like he is actually obtainable.
It seems though everyone changes the subject to fit their argument. Some things never change.

Is Capella worth $20 MIl? If that is the market price for him is, yes. Yes I would pay $20 per year for a 23 year old starter at center for the next 4 years. Some of you thought the great Jared Dudley was a bargin at $10 Mil per as well as Chandler at $14 Mil per.

Is Capella going to be available, who knows. Chris Paul is a free agent and there are also rumors of Lebron and Melo to Houston. If I were Houston I would not let Capella get away, so it is a long shot.

If DeAndre Jordan opts out I would consider him as a free agent, but he would be 2nd on my list. We certainly cannot trade for him. We do not have the assets to make that deal. If you think we do, send me some of what you are smoking.

Who other than Booker, Jackson and maybe Warren plus our lottery pick this year has remotely the value that Jordan will command?

Yes I would overpay for Capella.

If we draft Ayton, this conversation is null and void.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Superbone wrote:Come on. Knight is a smart guy. The coach is a smart guy. They can figure it out together. (All of a sudden I feel like Hubie Brown with that "Come on." at the beginning of my post.)
Excellent timeout here by Superbone. Now, see, you're Brandon Knight. You are a smart guy. And you're going to come back to this team that has been without you for a whole season. Now, okay, you're Igor Kokoskov. You are the new coach. You are trying to instill a new philosophy. You are a smart guy. And so you find a way to work it out!
Perfect.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

JustWinBaby wrote:
In2ition wrote:Imo, it will be nearly impossible to get Capela signed without Houston matching. Jordan seems like he is actually obtainable.
It seems though everyone changes the subject to fit their argument. Some things never change.

Is Capella worth $20 MIl? If that is the market price for him is, yes. Yes I would pay $20 per year for a 23 year old starter at center for the next 4 years. Some of you thought the great Jared Dudley was a bargin at $10 Mil per as well as Chandler at $14 Mil per.

Is Capella going to be available, who knows. Chris Paul is a free agent and there are also rumors of Lebron and Melo to Houston. If I were Houston I would not let Capella get away, so it is a long shot.

If DeAndre Jordan opts out I would consider him as a free agent, but he would be 2nd on my list. We certainly cannot trade for him. We do not have the assets to make that deal. If you think we do, send me some of what you are smoking.

Who other than Booker, Jackson and maybe Warren plus our lottery pick this year has remotely the value that Jordan will command?

Yes I would overpay for Capella.

If we draft Ayton, this conversation is null and void.
I agree, I would go after him if I thought he was going to be available and the Suns draft Doncic or Young and get left out of the center talk in the draft.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
LOL! Great impression. You've got Hubie Brown's speech patterns down.
"Be Legendary."

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Marty, now do your Reggie Miller as an analyst!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I don't think Capela is just a system player. But even if he is, it wouldn't be so hard to create a system in which he could thrive.

Doncic-Booker-Jackson-(3 point shooting PF)-Capela would give Capela all the spacing he needs to rim run. He's also proven he can anchor a D, which is a critical need for us.

I'd max him without hesitation. Throw some provisions in there that make Houston at least think about matching.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JustWinBaby wrote:When and how are we ever going to get a big equal to or better than Capella?
Do we need one? Plus, you could sign Capela and still not have the player that you are watching with the Rockets. Lastly, I don't think we have to solve all of our issues in one offseason.
JustWinBaby wrote:If we do draft Doncic isn't he supposed to be an expert playmaker similar to Simmons? We also have two other potential playmakers in Booker and Jackson to get Capella the ball.
I'm not counting on anyone from that group to have the elite passing ability of James Harden or Chris Paul.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

SDC

Post by SDC »

if dragic cannot be had, how about re-signing isaiah thomas for 15 mil a year? and getting channing frye back for the minimum?

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:
JustWinBaby wrote:When and how are we ever going to get a big equal to or better than Capella?
Do we need one? Plus, you could sign Capela and still not have the player that you are watching with the Rockets. Lastly, I don't think we have to solve all of our issues in one offseason.
JustWinBaby wrote:If we do draft Doncic isn't he supposed to be an expert playmaker similar to Simmons? We also have two other potential playmakers in Booker and Jackson to get Capella the ball.
I'm not counting on anyone from that group to have the elite passing ability of James Harden or Chris Paul.
Why does it feel like people are only looking at what Capela does on the offensive side of the ball? As if he hasn't shown to be a good rebounder, defender, good in transition, good as a help defender etc..? Yeah, a lot of his buckets on offense come from lobs, you dont need to be an "elite" passer to throw a lob or a pocket pass, you dont need to be elite to run a PnR either.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.