2018 Free Agency

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: 2018 Free Agency

Post by Mori Chu »

SDC wrote:if dragic cannot be had, how about re-signing isaiah thomas for 15 mil a year? and getting channing frye back for the minimum?
If Goran Dragic came back to Phoenix for ANOTHER stint after everything that's happened, I wouldn't know what to say. I just think there's no way he would do that.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

INFORMER wrote:
JustWinBaby wrote:When and how are we ever going to get a big equal to or better than Capella?
Do we need one? Plus, you could sign Capela and still not have the player that you are watching with the Rockets. Lastly, I don't think we have to solve all of our issues in one offseason.
JustWinBaby wrote:If we do draft Doncic isn't he supposed to be an expert playmaker similar to Simmons? We also have two other potential playmakers in Booker and Jackson to get Capella the ball.
I'm not counting on anyone from that group to have the elite passing ability of James Harden or Chris Paul.
Most of the time you are on point with your observations.

However, we can agree to disagree on Capela. I remember when you were not all that excited about Harden and thought he was not worth paying the price for OK City to keep him.

I can gurantee you are undervaluing Capela. I also highly doubt that Morey will let him get away. He not as dumb as the genius in OK City.

I also really think you are undervaluing the play making ability of Booker, Jackon and Doncic. Booker and Jackson are young and have had no one to feed except and over the hill Chandler and lame brain Alex Len + no legit 3 point shooters. The coaching has been unspectacular as well.

I truly think the Capela is going to get better and better and that Booker, Jackson and Doncic would make an unbelieveable playmaking threesome if we draft Doncic. All they need is a finisher and some 3 point shooters. Capela would be an unbelievably important piece to our mix, but we will not get him.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Superbone wrote:Come on. Knight is a smart guy. The coach is a smart guy. They can figure it out together. (All of a sudden I feel like Hubie Brown with that "Come on." at the beginning of my post.)
Excellent timeout here by Superbone. Now, see, you're Brandon Knight. You are a smart guy. And you're going to come back to this team that has been without you for a whole season. Now, okay, you're Igor Kokoskov. You are the new coach. You are trying to instill a new philosophy. You are a smart guy. And so you find a way to work it out!
Brilliant.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:For all his other flaws, Ulis is a pass-first PG. He gets it. Knight generally seems to be a shoot-first guard and therefore doesn't "get it" by my standards of what a PG should do. I don't think it is fixable at this point in Knight's career.
I've soured on Ulis. End of the quarter and we get one last shot: have you ever seen him pass in that situation? He plays in the flow of the game passing if there is an open man, but he is more than happy to take the shot himself if the defense stays home, and he just doesn't make the shots. If he's going to succeed (even as a backup) he's got to learn to create for others even when the defense is daring him to shoot.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
SDC wrote:if dragic cannot be had, how about re-signing isaiah thomas for 15 mil a year? and getting channing frye back for the minimum?
If Goran Dragic came back to Phoenix for ANOTHER stint after everything that's happened, I wouldn't know what to say. I just think there's no way he would do that.
SDC making a funny.

carey

Post by carey »

Well, Mike Ryan mentioned that Miami will definitely try to move Goran this Summer & that with Koko being hired Phoenix would be a likely destination. I am sure this is just reckless speculation.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

While I am no Dragic fan, he would represent a massive upgrade at PG for this team, him and Booker would be a pretty solid pairing for the next few years. That being said, I just can't see it happening after he dumped all over the team on his way out last time.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:While I am no Dragic fan, he would represent a massive upgrade at PG for this team, him and Booker would be a pretty solid pairing for the next few years. That being said, I just can't see it happening after he dumped all over the team on his way out last time.
I am a Dragic fan and I wouldn't mind seeing it. I know we would have been a heck of a lot more fun to watch had we kept Dragic instead of Bledsoe. I also don't think it's that far fetched. McD and Dragic made up and he loves our new coach.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:While I am no Dragic fan, he would represent a massive upgrade at PG for this team, him and Booker would be a pretty solid pairing for the next few years. That being said, I just can't see it happening after he dumped all over the team on his way out last time.
I don't know. Goran has 1 year left at $18M and a PO the following year. If he's traded he probably plays it out because he's 32 and his numbers decreased across the board last year.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

carey wrote:
I don't know. Goran has 1 year left at $18M and a PO the following year. If he's traded he probably plays it out because he's 32 and his numbers decreased across the board last year.
I think his game will age well, he doesn't rely on athleticism or anything, has a good shot, etc.. I think he's got another 3 years or so left of solid play. Perfect for a transition to a new PG also would be perfect with Igor if we went Doncic.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I would love to get Dragic back. He doesn't have to be the best player on this team, he just needs to be smart ab out setting up the other guys in their spots.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Pass on Dragic, he's not 13-14 dragic anymore. I saw a stat somewhere, but his at the rim shooting percentage has dropped significantly. He's an ok PG now, I like him, but I'm not giving up anything for him.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Split T wrote:Pass on Dragic, he's not 13-14 dragic anymore. I saw a stat somewhere, but his at the rim shooting percentage has dropped significantly. He's an ok PG now, I like him, but I'm not giving up anything for him.
I would do Chandler and #31 for Dragic. I doubt Miami would do it, but if they are interested in moving on, it gives them an asset and a salary dump.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Split T wrote:Pass on Dragic, he's not 13-14 dragic anymore. I saw a stat somewhere, but his at the rim shooting percentage has dropped significantly. He's an ok PG now, I like him, but I'm not giving up anything for him.
I would do Chandler and #31 for Dragic. I doubt Miami would do it, but if they are interested in moving on, it gives them an asset and a salary dump.
I just don’t see any scenario where Riley would be OK trading Dragic back to PHX for anything less than what he had to give up to acquire him. That would just look very bad for him and he’s too proud.

I’d be happy to trade our crumbs for him and keep their unprotected pick. It would help us on both ends.....improve our PG play immediately and improve their draft pick potentially in 2 years by removing talent from their team.

If we were to trade for him we absolutely do not draft Doncic, I’m going Ayton.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I just don't really want to take on his contract. He kills our capspace and is not a long term solution. If they take Knight back, then sure I'll do it, but otherwise I'll pass.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
I just don’t see any scenario where Riley would be OK trading Dragic back to PHX for anything less than what he had to give up to acquire him. That would just look very bad for him and he’s too proud.

I’d be happy to trade our crumbs for him and keep their unprotected pick. It would help us on both ends.....improve our PG play immediately and improve their draft pick potentially in 2 years by removing talent from their team.

He only has 2 years left (if he takes his option). So I don't think it would preclude getting Luka. But yeah, it better be "we are doing you a favor" by taking him back, so here is what you get. Not the other way around.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:

He only has 2 years left (if he takes his option). So I don't think it would preclude getting Luka. But yeah, it better be "we are doing you a favor" by taking him back, so here is what you get. Not the other way around.
I don't see why you couldn't get Dragic even if they draft Doncic. And trading Knight for Dragic makes sense in a salary swap.
Whoever becomes a better 3 pt shooter this summer between Warren and Jackson gets the starting nod. Then make a play for a center with 16 of Robert Williams or Mitchell Robinson and find a free agent center or another trade for a vet bigman.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:

Right. Riley shouldn't be expecting to get a lot of value back for him. Like you said, we'd be doing them a favor.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The delusion with Dragic is pretty heavy by some around here. I get it, I have a soft spot for him too, but he's average at best now and certainly not worth the money left on his contract in a trade.

I'd be happy with bringing him back, but I'll be pissed off if McD gives up a significant asset (i.e. 1st round pick) to do it.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:The delusion with Dragic is pretty heavy by some around here. I get it, I have a soft spot for him too, but he's average at best now and certainly not worth the money left on his contract in a trade.

I'd be happy with bringing him back, but I'll be pissed off if McD gives up a significant asset (i.e. 1st round pick) to do it.
I really don't think it's delusion and nobody is proposing we give up anything of significance to make it happen. It could possibly be a mutually beneficial thing for both teams.
"Be Legendary."