2018 NBA Playoffs, Second Round (Conf. Semis)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: 2018 NBA Playoffs, Second Round (Conf. Semis)

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:He's been perfect for them. I wonder if he stays long term, not at 23 mil a year, but at a more reasonable price.
Man, can you imagine? In one year of playing basketball, he made enough for any one of us to live out the rest of our lives never having to work again.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:Redick played really well for PHI, as well as McConnell in limited minutes.

I think you move forward with Embiid, Simmons, Saric, Redick (at the right price), Fultz, McConnell, and try to add some athletic defenders and even moor shooting. A lot depends on how good Fultz becomes and how much shooting Simmons can add.
It's too bad it took Brown so long to figure out the team is much better with McConnell playing starting. I think Philly would have taken the series if they had started out playing that lineup.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

How come nobody is talking about Ilyasova blowing the game when he tried to bully ball Marcus Smart and coughed it up?
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Mostly because I don't think Ilyasova will be there next season.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:Mostly because I don't think Ilyasova will be there next season.
Who said anything about next season? I'm just talking about game 5 and that was a big turning point. Philly didn't run their offense.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:Mostly because I don't think Ilyasova will be there next season.
Who said anything about next season? I'm just talking about game 5 and that was a big turning point. Philly didn't run their offense.
Probably because once you go down 3-0, you have already lost. Well, at leas the first 137 teams did.

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Indy wrote:
ShelC wrote:He's been perfect for them. I wonder if he stays long term, not at 23 mil a year, but at a more reasonable price.
I am not sure what top teams around the league have for cap space. But nearly everyone not name Warriors or Rockets could use a guy like him that shoots 42% from 3 and is a good floor leader.
He will be 34 at the start of the season. I wonder if he will get some diminishing multi-year offers like we gave Duds.
I think he is much more valuable than Dudley. Considering all of their rookie deals in Philly, they could bring him back for the same price next year.
:shock: Of course he's better than Dudley. He's better now than Dudley was at 28.

They can afford somebody on a big salary for 2 seasons. Maybe 3 if they move Covington. But if I'm offering a contract to Reddick, it's 20, 18. Or maybe 18, 16.

But that's a consolation prize. If I was Philly, I would go send an amazing offer and presentation to PG13. That would be a PERFECT fit for both the player and the team.
I thought he was set on going to LA?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Yeah, that's what everybody says. But I think you've got to make the sales pitch.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Probably because once you go down 3-0, you have already lost. Well, at leas the first 137 teams did.
Many believed that if Philly could have won that game, they had a good chance to become the first team ever to do it.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Many believed that if Philly could have won that game, they had a good chance to become the first team ever to do it.
Not me. The Celtics executed better throughout the series. I didn't see that play as a turning point.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Not me. The Celtics executed better throughout the series. I didn't see that play as a turning point.
How could you not? If they score, there's a good chance Philly wins the game. Or are you saying it wouldn't matter because Boston would still eventually win the series?
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote: Who said anything about next season? I'm just talking about game 5 and that was a big turning point. Philly didn't run their offense.
How could you not? If they score, there's a good chance Philly wins the game. Or are you saying it wouldn't matter because Boston would still eventually win the series?
They were losing the series and Boston's execution had trumped theirs all season long. It wasn't like things were peachy before that one play where they didn't even run their offense. Not running an offense happened periodically all year long. It's one of the weaknesses of that team this season. It was bound to happen again, and Boston was bound to win the series on better execution. Maybe on that play or maybe on another.

I also never bought into the hype during round 1. I never thought the 6ers would win this series. And, for the record, if both teams are healthy next year with reasonable improvement form the young players, I still expect Boston to own the matchup.

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote: Probably because once you go down 3-0, you have already lost. Well, at leas the first 137 teams did.
They were losing the series and Boston's execution had trumped theirs all season long. It wasn't like things were peachy before that one play where they didn't even run their offense. Not running an offense happened periodically all year long. It's one of the weaknesses of that team this season. It was bound to happen again, and Boston was bound to win the series on better execution. Maybe on that play or maybe on another.

I also never bought into the hype during round 1. I never thought the 6ers would win this series. And, for the record, if both teams are healthy next year with reasonable improvement form the young players, I still expect Boston to own the matchup.
Yeah, despite what Charles kept saying, I just couldn't believe that this team was going to be the first one to do it. It isn't like they were clearly better, but had a key player out for the first few games and went down 3-0. I would prefer to watch them over Boston, but Boston was the better team.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I've been one of the few on record saying I'm surprised by how much success Ben Simmons had this season. I think good defenses should be able to guard him. He can't shoot (not even free throws) and he's not really ambidextrous as he was billed in the draft. He almost always dribbles with his left hand and shoots with his right. Obviously, he has talent. I think he also has a long way to go.

Here's BBall Breakdown on how Horford and the Celtics made Simmons a liability:

[youtube][/youtube]

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

O_Gardino wrote: Most likely, they lose Cousins for nothing and go after Isaiah Thomas.
Why is that most likely?
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

INFORMER wrote:
O_Gardino wrote: Most likely, they lose Cousins for nothing and go after Isaiah Thomas.
Why is that most likely?
I'm just being snarky about how badly the Pels are managed.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

O_Gardino wrote:I've been one of the few on record saying I'm surprised by how much success Ben Simmons had this season. I think good defenses should be able to guard him. He can't shoot (not even free throws) and he's not really ambidextrous as he was billed in the draft. He almost always dribbles with his left hand and shoots with his right. Obviously, he has talent. I think he also has a long way to go.

Simmons is a very nice young player. But he needs to lock himself in a gym and learn some new offensive moves. If not a jumper, then at least practice post moves or something. Get himself more ways to score and to contribute on offense when a basket is needed.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:I've been one of the few on record saying I'm surprised by how much success Ben Simmons had this season. I think good defenses should be able to guard him. He can't shoot (not even free throws) and he's not really ambidextrous as he was billed in the draft. He almost always dribbles with his left hand and shoots with his right. Obviously, he has talent. I think he also has a long way to go.

Simmons is a very nice young player. But he needs to lock himself in a gym and learn some new offensive moves. If not a jumper, then at least practice post moves or something. Get himself more ways to score and to contribute on offense when a basket is needed.
Yes, but that said, too bad none of our top 10 picks in the last decade were half as good as Simmons is already.