2018 NBA Playoffs, Second Round (Conf. Semis)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

2018 NBA Playoffs, Second Round (Conf. Semis)

Post by Mori Chu »

We already have a second-round series game starting tonight: Warriors vs Pelicans, Game 1. The other second-round series that has been decided so far is Houston-Utah. Post your thoughts here about the second-round matchups and games!

Mori Chu

Re: 2018 NBA Playoffs, Second Round (Conf. Semis)

Post by Mori Chu »

I was really impressed with the Pelicans in Round 1, but I don't buy the thinking that they could upset the Warriors. Anthony Davis might be the best player in the league right now, but I have too many doubts about the pieces around him. I think even if Curry doesn't play in Game 1 that the Warriors have too much talent and firepower for New Orleans. I think it'll be Warriors in 5.

As for Houston vs Utah, I think Houston's shooting will really bother Utah. Utah has an awesome defense, but Houston has an infinite army of 3-point shooters that can break down even Utah's guard. I think Houston will whoop Utah in 5 or 6 games, setting up the long-predicted Houston / Golden State Western Finals.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

really looking forward to both series. Nobody on the Rockets can guard Mitchell, and Davis will put the Warriors to the test.

I still think we see Rockets Warriors in the conference finals, but the second round will be a lot of fun.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Man I hope the Rockets and Warriors lose. Would love it. My two least favorite players in the league (Harden and Durant) and they are definitely in my top 10 of most hated of all time. I’d put them on my list with Bowen, Horry, Fortson, Markieff and Marcus, KG just off the top of my head

Split T

Post by Split T »

Why harden and Durant? I don't particularly like them, but they don't come close to Bowen, horry, and the Morris twins for me. Of the current players that didn't used to play for us, I think Chris Paul is my least favorite.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I will be rooting for the Pels. Dubs fans are the worst, some of the least knowledgeable fans I've ever spoken with.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:Why harden and Durant? I don't particularly like them, but they don't come close to Bowen, H***y, and the Morris twins for me. Of the current players that didn't used to play for us, I think Chris Paul is my least favorite.
Yes I would add Chris to that list too

Durant is everything I hate about this new generation of kid like Chriss on a star level. He’s entitled, extremely petty, insecure and his insecurities lead him to snapping and being a dick to anyone that questions or challenges him. I just hate his attitude.

Harden is a different story. Everything he does is a mockery of the game. He’s the pioneer of this new era of trying to gain any advantage you can by fooling the refs instead of playing your best basketball. His ploy to get fake shooting fouls, his flopping, his obvious travels that he gets away with. It’s everything I hate about the last few years of the league.

Guys like Booker, Embiid, Mitchell are so refreshing. They are tough and play the right way. There’s no gimmicks.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I will be rooting for the Pels. Dubs fans are the worst, some of the least knowledgeable fans I've ever spoken with.

Especially the bandwagon fans you never heard a peep from when Amare was impregnating the entire team in the 2000s 8-)
Last edited by specialsauce on Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:Why harden and Durant? I don't particularly like them, but they don't come close to Bowen, H***y, and the Morris twins for me. Of the current players that didn't used to play for us, I think Chris Paul is my least favorite.

Durant is everything I hate about this new generation of kid like Chriss on a star level. He’s entitled, extremely petty, insecure and his insecurities lead him to snapping and being a dick to anyone that questions or challenges him. I just hate his attitude.

Harden is a different story. Everything he does is a mockery of the game. He’s the pioneer of this new era of trying to gain any advantage you can by fooling the refs instead of playing your best basketball. His ploy to get fake shooting fouls, his flopping, his obvious travels that he gets away with. It’s everything I hate about the last few years of the league.

Guys like Booker, Embiid, Mitchell are so refreshing. They are tough and play the right way. There’s no gimmicks.
That's fair, Durant just seems so defensive all the time. I think he was legitimately hurt and surprised by the backlash to joining the warriors and he's trying really hard to create an image that he doesn't care what people think about him. But he definitely cares, a lot.

Everything you said about harden is true, I guess I just place more blame on the refs and the NBA than harden. Refs just need to stop falling for his act and he'll stop.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

That's fair, Durant just seems so defensive all the time. I think he was legitimately hurt and surprised by the backlash to joining the warriors and he's trying really hard to create an image that he doesn't care what people think about him. But he definitely cares, a lot.

Everything you said about harden is true, I guess I just place more blame on the refs and the NBA than harden. Refs just need to stop falling for his act and he'll stop.
Yep, spot on with Durant and him using fake twitter accounts to bash on his old team and defend himself shows you how much of a child he really is.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Chris Webber sucks as an analyst.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wow, that was such a blowout. I know it's only one game, but the Pelicans can't feel good about that one. We'll have to see if Gentry has any interesting adjustments for Game 2, because they're gonna need 'em.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Chris Webber sucks as an analyst.
Understatement of the year. The one thing I dislike about the first round of the playoffs is that it forces the networks to call in their B and C and D teams. Webber has never been very interesting to me, and I don't think he meshes very well with Marv. As bad as Reggie Miller is, I think somehow he manages to have better chemistry with Marv. I think Marv does well with a "nerdy" type like a Kerr or a Mike Fratello, a more cerebral second banana. Webber is no dummy, but I don't think his personality is quite right to sit next to Albert.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Wow, that was such a blowout. I know it's only one game, but the Pelicans can't feel good about that one. We'll have to see if Gentry has any interesting adjustments for Game 2, because they're gonna need 'em.
The Pels start 3 PG and 2 PF, the Warriors start 3 SF and 2 SG. I bet we see at least one games where the quickness of the Pels perimeter guys causes problems for the Warriors.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

TOO

Post by TOO »

Celtics looks pretty good so far, Tatum is gonna be really really good in the next couple of years. Him and Brown give Boston some really shiny toys to go acquire another star with.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Celtics are up by about 12 points here late in the 2nd quarter. They are playing better than I expected, and Philly looks a bit out of sorts. I still think Philly is showing flashes, but I'm impressed with how well Boston sticks to their system.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Would people here prefer Tatum or Jackson?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I would much rather have Tatum on our team than Josh Jackson. I wanted Tatum on draft day and was bummed that Boston took him. Given Jackson's end of the season, though, I can sympathize with folks who prefer Jackson at this point.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

My order was Fox, Tatum, Jackson. I still wouldn't mind having any of the three, but Tatum is quite a bit ahead of the curve now.

I'd like to see how Fox or Jackson looks with this Celtics team, since their roster and coaching staff are far superior to the Suns and Kings.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:The Celtics are up by about 12 points here late in the 2nd quarter. They are playing better than I expected, and Philly looks a bit out of sorts. I still think Philly is showing flashes, but I'm impressed with how well Boston sticks to their system.
My most hated team in the NBA is the Lakers. My 2nd most hated team is the Celtics. The only time I have ever rooted for the Celtics is when they were playing the Lakers. I always rooted for the old 76er teams against the Celtics, nothing will change now or in the future.

A Coach usually is regarded as a genius when his team shoots almost 50% from the 3 point line and your jump shooting big man goes 10 for 12. We will see how this series ends up.

Go 6er's

I can't stand Marcus Smart. In the old days Ben Simmons would have laid him out.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.