2018 NBA Playoffs, Second Round (Conf. Semis)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: 2018 NBA Playoffs, Second Round (Conf. Semis)

Post by Mori Chu »

The meltdown by Philly was also pretty interesting. Boston has been really impressive through two games in that series. I didn't really expect them to do this well, but they have a lot of savvy players, a great coach, and an awesome home-court advantage. I still want to see what Philly does when they go back and play at home, but maybe their youth and inexperience are showing through.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:The meltdown by Philly was also pretty interesting. Boston has been really impressive through two games in that series. I didn't really expect them to do this well, but they have a lot of savvy players, a great coach, and an awesome home-court advantage. I still want to see what Philly does when they go back and play at home, but maybe their youth and inexperience are showing through.
I enjoy watching smug Simmons struggle.. I dislike him greatly.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Celtics have young guys who play like vets. Sixers have young guys who play like young guys. Big difference.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I feel bad for the Raptors and their fans. Play so well to get HC in the East. The Cavs struggle to get past Indiana in 7 and then waltz onto the Raptors court and take the first two.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Raps were always fool's gold. They're the worst team left in the East. I don't know how they improve. They need a legit frontcourt talent.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Ibaka turning into a complete non-factor these last few years has been a sad development.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Shabazz wrote:Ibaka turning into a complete non-factor these last few years has been a sad development.
Its all down hill after 40.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

carey

Post by carey »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Shabazz wrote:Ibaka turning into a complete non-factor these last few years has been a sad development.
Its all down hill after 40.
Yep, he's done nothing to squash the rumors about his age with his play. Said just enough about it to get the contract and that's all.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The whole "African players lie about their age" thing, is there concrete evidence of it happening? Or is it just kind of an unproven rumor thing for the most part?

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

In soccer was a common thing to play man childs and and grownup men in underage tournaments, and the lack of thrusting records in the villages allowed them an informal way to get them into any age they needed them to have for the tournament, even olimpics. Nigeria a long time ago, and more recently Gambia got suspended because authorities were turning the blind eye on this in order to win. Mexico itself (what a shame) got suspended about thirty years or so ago after soccer officials were caught directly altering birth certificates and lost our spot in Italy’s 1990 World Cup.

Soccer it’s a multi million industry on those places, but I could easily see that basketball remaining out of the spotlight, would allow them to still sneak a prospect here and there into underage programs.

Sorry, only found links in spanish

https://www.futbolsapiens.com/actualida ... riginales/

http://www.goal.com/es-mx/news/14972/mu ... -juveniles

http://laaficion.milenio.com/futbolinte ... 70533.html
Last edited by Aztec Sunsfan on Sat May 05, 2018 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:The meltdown by Philly was also pretty interesting. Boston has been really impressive through two games in that series. I didn't really expect them to do this well, but they have a lot of savvy players, a great coach, and an awesome home-court advantage. I still want to see what Philly does when they go back and play at home, but maybe their youth and inexperience are showing through.
We'll see how the 76rs rebound. They need more from Ilyasova and, of course, Simmons can't have another down game. On the other hand, Smart has already had his annual playoff 3pt party and Tatum-Rozier are not supposed to keep their current %s (although I totally agree with ShelC; Stevens has those kids playing like seasoned vets). At the same time, Embiid can't guard Horford from the perimeter. Really interesting series overall, despite the 2-0.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:In soccer was a common thing to play man childs and and grownup men in underage tournaments, and the lack of thrusting records in the villages allowed them an informal way to get them into any age they needed them to have for the tournament, even olimpics. Nigeria a long time ago, and more recently Gambia got suspended because authorities were turning the blind eye on this in order to win. Mexico itself (what a shame) got suspended about thirty years or so ago after soccer officials were caught directly altering birth certificates and lost our spot in Italy’s 1990 World Cup.

Soccer it’s a multi million industry on those places, but I could easily see that basketball remaining out of the spotlight, would allow them to still sneak a prospect here and there into underage programs.

Sorry, only found links in spanish

https://www.futbolsapiens.com/actualida ... riginales/

http://www.goal.com/es-mx/news/14972/mu ... -juveniles

http://laaficion.milenio.com/futbolinte ... 70533.html
Happened a lot with baseball too. Not sure there has been any confirmed cases in basketball, just guesses. Serge peaked in his early 20's and his overall trajectory looks more like a guy that is 4 years older than his stated age. It's not unheard of, just adds suspicion that he comes from a place where he could get away with it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wow, and many here thought Philly might represent the East in the Finals. Brad Stevens coaching legend continues to grow. And think again about Danny Ainge trading that overall #1 draft pick to Philly. Fultz can't even get off the bench and Tatum is starting and starring for the Celtics.
"Be Legendary."

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Oh man, poor Raptors. Mercy!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Boston is making me want to be in the Doncic side of the #1 pick withe the way they utilize so many wings.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The East semis have been so one-sided. I didn't think Toronto would beat Cleveland, but I expected better from Philly. I really wanted the other team to win both of today's games, just to make the series a little bit interesting. 3-0 is so impossible to come back from that they might as well not even have the Game 4. I wanted a bit more uncertainty and intrigue in at least one of the series. Even the Warriors gave the Pelicans a game for Pete's sake.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

In2ition wrote:Boston is making me want to be in the Doncic side of the #1 pick withe the way they utilize so many wings.
With Kokoskov on board this is a real option to me as well. But the allure of a monster like Ayton is so strong...

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Hermen wrote:Oh man, poor Raptors. Mercy!
Yeah. Their soul has to be crushed to pieces right now. Perhaps to the point that they blow it up this summer.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Oh, and 76rs' problem is defense. They don't put enough pressure on people. That, and the fact that they are essentially one man down the way Covington has been 'playing' (two men, if you count Fultz).

carey

Post by carey »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Hermen wrote:Oh man, poor Raptors. Mercy!
Yeah. Their soul has to be crushed to pieces right now. Perhaps to the point that they blow it up this summer.
Not without seeing what LeBron does first. I definitely run it back in the East if LeBron goes out West.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!