2018 Suns Offseason News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
jonh

Re: 2018 Suns Offseason News

Post by jonh »

Good point. I was assuming Charlotte would take the same package for SGA. I have no idea if Charlotte would have gone for it—maybe they wouldn’t have been interested.

Split T

Post by Split T »

jonh wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:00 pm
Good point. I was assuming Charlotte would take the same package for SGA. I have no idea if Charlotte would have gone for it—maybe they wouldn’t have been interested.
They may have.. They took Miles, who conceivably could have lasted to 16, but clippers, nuggets, and wizards could all have taken him.

Split T

Post by Split T »

https://twitter.com/esidery/status/1010272462863417344

Hmmm, guys that come to mind:

Aaron Gordon - too expensive, Orlando probably matches. S&T may be only option
Trevor Ariza/Luc Mbah a Moute - Both could be attainable
Rudy Gay - Ehh.. not sure he's the same after his achilles injury

Who am I missing?

Trevor Booker? Can he shoot? Does he defend?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I took a look and here's some other options:

Derrick Favors - I think he's a 5, but he defends, can step out to 18 feet and shoot
Ersan Ilyasova - He can shoot
Nemnja Bjelica - Don't know a lot about him
Thad Young - Not really a shooter
Kyle Anderson - Can he defend?
Wilson Chandler - Seems to be hurt a lot, he's got a player option
Michael Beasley - McD might get fired on the spot
Jeff Green - Eternally Dissapointing

carey

Post by carey »

Oh, I hadn't thought about Slo-Mo. He's a UFA?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

A stretch 4 who's a plus defender....not too many in the league, much less on the market. Ariza, Chandler, Gay and Gordon are really 3s. Gordon will be costly

Ilysaova is maddeningly inconsistent, Favors is a plodder who's been playing the 5 mostly and can't step out.

Thad Young was a 3 who's transitioned to the 4 and found some success. He's one guy I've thought could be on our list but I've figured Indy would want to keep him.

Bjelica came on late last year and is a legit 3pt threat with size, but I don't know that he's a defender.

Other names - Mareese Speights, Ed Davis, Channing Frye, Darrell Arthur, Quincy Acy, Kyle O'Quinn....just not a lot out there. Thad Young is the best of the group and would be a nice vet to have but I wouldn't break the bank for him. And he's not really a traditional, defensive 4. I've always like Arthur and KOQ, but I don't know that they're starter quality PFs. I'd love KOQ as a backup defensive 4/5, similar to Kurt Thomas, but he's not an answer for us.

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:43 pm
Restricted

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:57 pm
A stretch 4 who's a plus defender....not too many in the league, much less on the market. Ariza, Chandler, Gay and Gordon are really 3s. Gordon will be costly

Ilysaova is maddeningly inconsistent, Favors is a plodder who's been playing the 5 mostly and can't step out.

Thad Young was a 3 who's transitioned to the 4 and found some success. He's one guy I've thought could be on our list but I've figured Indy would want to keep him.

Bjelica came on late last year and is a legit 3pt threat with size, but I don't know that he's a defender.

Other names - Mareese Speights, Ed Davis, Channing Frye, Darrell Arthur, Quincy Acy, Kyle O'Quinn....just not a lot out there. Thad Young is the best of the group and would be a nice vet to have but I wouldn't break the bank for him. And he's not really a traditional, defensive 4. I've always like Arthur and KOQ, but I don't know that they're starter quality PFs. I'd love KOQ as a backup defensive 4/5, similar to Kurt Thomas, but he's not an answer for us.
Think Thad would be great if he was a better shooter. I guess Jabari is also out there. He can stretch the floor, bad defender though.

carey

Post by carey »

Here's an idea... and don't shoot me because it's just an idea.

What would you ask from Houston to take on Ryan Anderson's deal? It's 2 more seasons at $20M a year. What if we mitigated some of the cost by sending out Dudley or Chandler? A future 1st? Two? They want the space to try and sign LeBron and clearly have moved on from him as a player. HIs injury history is not great but he's a career 40% from 3 guy on heavy volume. I am totally comfortable not signing anyone and playing Bender 30 minutes a night but I'm probably the only one.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:59 pm
carey wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:43 pm
Restricted
Also, his range doesn't extend to the 3-point line. Smart player though. Always makes the right play. Sort of a twiggy version of Dudley before he added the 3-point shot.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

carey wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:08 pm

What would you ask from Houston to take on Ryan Anderson's deal? It's 2 more seasons at $20M a year. What if we mitigated some of the cost by sending out Dudley or Chandler? A future 1st? Two? They want the space to try and sign LeBron and clearly have moved on from him as a player. HIs injury history is not great but he's a career 40% from 3 guy on heavy volume. I am totally comfortable not signing anyone and playing Bender 30 minutes a night but I'm probably the only one.
I think I'd rather just play Bender and Bridges and others those same minutes, rather than taking on salary to acquire a flawed vet. Also Anderson would be more effective if we had better passing and a PG who sets up our shooters, but we don't have that, so I think his impact will be diminished for us.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Thought about Anderson but didn't want to make a deal with Houston. Also thought about Parker but he's a scorer/chucker who doesn't defend.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Here's another thought, what about Rajon Rondo as a free agent? He can run the offense, he can play defense when he wants to, and his shooting has actually improved a lot. He was a 25% 3 pt shooter in Boston, he's been 36% since then and has increased his attempts. He's almost strictly a spot up corner 3 guy, but he can hit it when left open.

Not someone I'd want to count on for 30 minutes a game, but he could give us solid 20-25 minutes of PG play, right? He showed in the playoffs that he still has it, question is if he can bring it in the regular season.

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

Rondo was great in the play-offs I thought at the time precisely the sort of vet pg we could do with..

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:30 pm

https://twitter.com/esidery/status/1010272462863417344

Hmmm, guys that come to mind:

Aaron Gordon - too expensive, Orlando probably matches. S&T may be only option
Trevor Ariza/Luc Mbah a Moute - Both could be attainable
Rudy Gay - Ehh.. not sure he's the same after his achilles injury

Who am I missing?

Trevor Booker? Can he shoot? Does he defend?
That has to mean that they are ready to move on from Bender and/or Chriss. Between the two pups and Dudley, we have 3 guys who are supposed to fit that description.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:08 pm

I think this summer is our last chance to acquire future assets by taking on salary, so we need to be careful how we do it. I would love to take the Rockets future so that they could get LeBron, but they would have to give me a lot, and I would have to be very comfortable with Bender's improvement over the summer.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

carey

Post by carey »

The Pelicans seem intent on retaining Rondo but I can't say if Rondo feels the same.

I don't think they are giving up on the young PFs. At least with Bender they knew it was a multi-year project because he was so young. Bender is still more than a full year younger than Mikal Bridges and Chriss just shy of a year younger.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Has McD tipped his hat at all about what his plan is at PG? It's been awful quiet. Is Walker the target?
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:35 pm
I took a look and here's some other options:

Derrick Favors - I think he's a 5, but he defends, can step out to 18 feet and shoot
Ersan Ilyasova - He can shoot
Nemnja Bjelica - Don't know a lot about him
Thad Young - Not really a shooter
Kyle Anderson - Can he defend?
Wilson Chandler - Seems to be hurt a lot, he's got a player option
M****** B****** - McD might get fired on the spot
Jeff Green - Eternally Dissapointing
I'd be fine with Favors if we lost Chandler, although I don't think he can really share the court with Ayton and therefore wouldn't justify what he'll likely get this offseason.

The rest of them.... I'd rather just give Bender the PF minutes.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm really curious to see what Igor can do with Bender.
"Be Legendary."