2018 Suns Offseason News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: 2018 Suns Offseason News

Post by carey »

Cap wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:20 am
BTW, I think Ulis has one of those first-rounder style contracts, where we optioned his third season before the start of his second, and will have to decide on his fourth before the start of his third. So his 2018-19 money is guaranteed at this point. But we can clear the kind of cap room McD is talking about by dumping Payton, Len, Williams, Reed and Shaq.
If you click David's thread above he says Ulis' contract guarantees on the 24th of June.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Post by Cap »

I don’t like the idea of giving up Williams. He’s a great guy and a great story. And we need a third-string center on the roster, because Chandler won’t always be available, and because Ayton’s going to want to spend some time at PF alongside a C like Chandler or Williams. Where are we going to find a much better deal than Williams for $5.5M?

I don’t know what plans the Suns have for that cap room. Maybe that extra $5M in cap room is needed for a big move that will really help. But unless that $5M is being used for something special, use it on Williams.

BTW, looks like $1M of Williams’s salary is guaranteed, so we can only clear $4.5M by dropping him.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I feel like teams always need a guy like Williams on the bench and in the lockerroom. They know they're not always going to play but practice hard, are prepared to play when their number is called, are great bench guys and he's a local kid. Our most successful teams in the mid-late 2000s all had great bench mobs.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

O_Gardino wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:04 am
Sergio Rodriguez?
I wish.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Cap wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:39 am
I don’t like the idea of giving up Williams. He’s a great guy and a great story. And we need a third-string center on the roster, because Chandler won’t always be available, and because Ayton’s going to want to spend some time at PF alongside a C like Chandler or Williams. Where are we going to find a much better deal than Williams for $5.5M?

I don’t know what plans the Suns have for that cap room. Maybe that extra $5M in cap room is needed for a big move that will really help. But unless that $5M is being used for something special, use it on Williams.

BTW, looks like $1M of Williams’s salary is guaranteed, so we can only clear $4.5M by dropping him.
I don't see any point in spending cap space just because they have it. Williams is an okay value at $5 million.

And unless they sign someone to a 1-year deal, money they spend this year is money they can't spend next year when Chandler and Dudley come off the cap.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

carey

Post by carey »

The Bobster wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:58 am

And unless they sign someone to a 1-year deal, money they spend this year is money they can't spend next year when Chandler and Dudley come off the cap.
Booker's extension starts at $26M next year which is basically the total of his current salary + Chandler & Dudley's current salary.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:39 am

+1
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I really want them to keep Williams and Ulis. I know they take up cap space, but I don't see any big-money free agents who I'd want the Suns to pursue. Learn from good orgs like the Spurs who grow a lot of their own players, and keep and value them and let them grow. You create loyalty and confidence in the players and make it more likely they'll stick around if they pan out. We need a backup C behind Ayton; Chandler won't play consistently. And we need a backup PG behind (insert FA/trade PG name here); Ulis can be that guy.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I'm not attached to either Ulis or Williams, if we can get an upgrade in talent at their expense, I'm all for it. I want to win, tired of being awful, don't care about nice guys, win of GTFO.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

The difference is the Spurs grow GOOD players. These two will never be more than end of the bench players because of their physical limitations. No room for sentimental roster spots, this ain’t make a wish foundation.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:30 pm

https://twitter.com/esidery/status/1010272462863417344

Hmmm, guys that come to mind:

Aaron Gordon - too expensive, Orlando probably matches. S&T may be only option
Trevor Ariza/Luc Mbah a Moute - Both could be attainable
Rudy Gay - Ehh.. not sure he's the same after his achilles injury

Who am I missing?

Trevor Booker? Can he shoot? Does he defend?
I could see them putting together a sign & trade package for Gordon. Anthony Tolliver and Omri Casspi are also options.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:52 pm
I keep seeing Beverley's name everywhere. Is it just because people aren't familiar with his injury or are they really that keen on getting a guy coming off of microfracture and meniscus repair at the same time?
Yeah, I am not sure why so many people find him appealing. He doesn't really have point guard skills, he is just a fake hustle guy that can hit the catch and shoot 3 ball occasionally. I would be disappointed if the Suns added him, which probably means it will happen.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I would like Casspi, its weird to me he's bounced around so much, much like Belinelli, they have defined roles/skills yet they cant ever stick somewhere.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

TOO

Post by TOO »

And I'm still convinced that Gordon will be their target, Chriss or Bender/Warren and a 1st we'll overpay substantially on this and live to regret it.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:11 pm
carey wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:52 pm
I keep seeing Beverley's name everywhere. Is it just because people aren't familiar with his injury or are they really that keen on getting a guy coming off of microfracture and meniscus repair at the same time?
Yeah, I am not sure why so many people find him appealing. He doesn't really have point guard skills, he is just a fake hustle guy that can hit the catch and shoot 3 ball occasionally. I would be disappointed if the Suns added him, which probably means it will happen.
He’s an undeniably great on ball defender.

He hits the 3 ball at an above average clip.

He’s not a ball stopper. He knows his role and plays it well.

I think he’s perfect for the Suns. We have Booker, Jackson, Ayton and Bender who are all willing passers and a coach who will hopefully install a better offense. I’m not worried about having a 10 apg PG so long as that PG isn’t a ball hog like Knight or Bledsoe.

And Pat Bevs game isn’t predicated on athleticism, don’t worry about his micro fracture.

If I’m the Suns, I’m going after him and Ariza. Those are my 2 targets. Aaron Gordon would be a huge waste, we don’t need another offensive player and he would command such a high salary. We traded for Bridges as though he’s a star, now we should leave room for him. Gordon would be redundant.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:47 pm
He’s an undeniably great on ball defender.
That's a dated assessment. His final season in Houston he was a shell of his former self. His on ball defense just wasn't there anymore. He tries, but most of his value now is just getting under the skin of superior players, diving for loose balls, etc. He's a decent rebounder though.
specialsauce wrote:
If I’m the Suns, I’m going after him and Ariza.
Gross. Ariza has been a disappointment nearly everywhere he's gone. He's solid defensively, and can hit 3s a decent clip, but that's about it. He's not a stretch 4. It doesn't really make sense to go after him when they just invested so much in Bridges.
specialsauce wrote:
Aaron Gordon would be a huge waste, we don’t need another offensive player and he would command such a high salary. We traded for Bridges as though he’s a star, now we should leave room for him. Gordon would be redundant.
Gordon is a PF. Bridges is a swingman. No redundancy there. But I agree, Gordon wouldn't be a wise investment. But he would fit with the short-term, just build a decent mode we seem to be in.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

My fear is that we have just drafted Ariza in Mikal. We'll see what the offseason brings, but given the current roster, MD will have his hands full with work to do.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:31 pm
The difference is the Spurs grow GOOD players. These two will never be more than end of the bench players because of their physical limitations. No room for sentimental roster spots, this ain’t make a wish foundation.
Amen

I cannot believe why anyone would to keep Williams or Ulis on our roster. If we do drop them they will not be on another team in the NBA.

I thought almost everyone wanted to clean house after the season ended for us. What Happened?
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

TOO

Post by TOO »

JustWinBaby wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:12 am
specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:31 pm
Amen

I cannot believe why anyone would to keep Williams or Ulis on our roster. If we do drop them they will not be on another team in the NBA.

I thought almost everyone wanted to clean house after the season ended for us. What Happened?
Apparently Suns fans are never happy now. We've fallen so far.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Sauce is useful. Can rebound, has soft hands, sets good screens, hustles. The good teammate part is a bonus, like being a local. Would rather dump Chandler by a mile. Ulis is the closest we have to a floor general and is dirty cheap. I'd keep both if their cap space is not needed to make a move for a clear contributor. And if it is win or GTFO, you have to look first at Knight and Chandler.