2018 Suns Offseason News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: 2018 Suns Offseason News

Post by Mori Chu »

jonh wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:19 pm
I know I’ve been pretty pessimistic about the team the last few months, but I could really see this season ending with a new GM, and trade conversations for Booker. I think the wheels come off this season.
I don't agree with every decision the team has made. But I'm definitely willing to give it this season to see more about what we have. I'm really worried about the PG situation and don't think we will make a dramatic wins improvement until we fix that. But I do think we'll be better and will see some promising signs from Ayton and some of our other younglings. I don't think this season will be a disaster unless you are expecting the playoffs, in which case I think you're almost certain to be disappointed.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

jonh wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:10 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:12 pm
Bordow had a Twitter Q&A:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... e106a430e2
I hate that so many on Planet Orange drool over Houston's role players.
I know I’ve been pretty pessimistic about the team the last few months, but I could really see this season ending with a new GM, and trade conversations for Booker. I think the wheels come off this season.
Have you lost your damn mind? Maybe a new GM... but Booker ain't going anywhere.
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

The idea that the guy we just inked to a 5yr max would come up in trade discussions is laughable to me. Not even fathomable.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:46 pm
jonh wrote:
I don't agree with every decision the team has made. But I'm definitely willing to give it this season to see more about what we have. I'm really worried about the PG situation and don't think we will make a dramatic wins improvement until we fix that. But I do think we'll be better and will see some promising signs from Ayton and some of our other younglings. I don't think this season will be a disaster unless you are expecting the playoffs, in which case I think you're almost certain to be disappointed.
Well, maybe the key takeaway is to go to bed and not try to post after midnight. :)

That being said, I am fine not making the playoffs next year--I've rode the lottery train for 8 years, and although I would be sad to make it 9, I get that its tough to win being so young (and with Knight as your primary distributor). My concern is that Booker is not fine missing the playoffs next year. I took him at his word about not wanting to miss the playoffs again. I read into that as a potential warning to to the franchise, and perhaps cracking the door open for requesting a trade mid-season. If we are clearly out of playoff contention prior to the trade deadline, I could see a scenario where you start hearing whispers from Booker's camp about requesting to be moved.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I can't. Look, the West is tougher than it's ever been. Booker just wants to see improvement and upward trajectory as we start winning more games and don't tank.
"Be Legendary."

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

jonh wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:41 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
jonh wrote:
Well, maybe the key takeaway is to go to bed and not try to post after midnight. :)

That being said, I am fine not making the playoffs next year--I've rode the lottery train for 8 years, and although I would be sad to make it 9, I get that its tough to win being so young (and with Knight as your primary distributor). My concern is that Booker is not fine missing the playoffs next year. I took him at his word about not wanting to miss the playoffs again. I read into that as a potential warning to to the franchise, and perhaps cracking the door open for requesting a trade mid-season. If we are clearly out of playoff contention prior to the trade deadline, I could see a scenario where you start hearing whispers from Booker's camp about requesting to be moved.
If Booker is serious about not wanting to miss the playoffs, his level of play needs to increase significantly. He is not good enough yet to be drawing lines in the sand like that. I think you are taking his words a little too seriously though.

jonh

Post by jonh »

n4th4n wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:52 am
jonh wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
jonh wrote:

If Booker is serious about not wanting to miss the playoffs, his level of play needs to increase significantly. He is not good enough yet to be drawing lines in the sand like that. I think you are taking his words a little too seriously though.
I hope so. Im not trying to say that it definitely will happen, but that I could see a scenario in which it could happen. But I get that it is a pretty pessimistic take.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Booker is almost untradeable. He signed his extension, so while he only makes like 4 million this year, we'd have to take back an average of this year's salary and his extension salary...so like 15-16 million. We don't have the cap space to do that, so we'd have to trade with a team that has that cap space...so basically Sacramento. That's the one place that's definitely worse than us over the last few years.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:55 am
Booker is almost untradeable. He signed his extension, so while he only makes like 4 million this year, we'd have to take back an average of this year's salary and his extension salary...so like 15-16 million. We don't have the cap space to do that, so we'd have to trade with a team that has that cap space...so basically Sacramento. That's the one place that's definitely worse than us over the last few years.
Plus, we'd have to really piss him off for him to suddenly want out. Let's start winning some games. We've got to win at least 30 something this year. It should be a heck of a lot more fun than last year.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

My very high end would be something comparable to Hornacek's first year although there's no way I could see us winning that many games in the stacked West, not to mention Pacific Division.
"Be Legendary."

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

I am hoping for a 35 win season. But I wouldn't be surprised if we missed that mark.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I'm just glad I can fully enjoy every win this year... Last few years I was always partially rooting for losses because we needed the high picks

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I just hope that Ayton and Okobo make the blatant tanking worth it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I'm looking for better next year. And then better again the year after that.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Lebron came to the West, and several good teams got better. I think we'll be extremely unlikely to make the playoffs. But that's okay. It isn't our time yet. The following things can both be true at the same time:

1) The 2018-19 Suns look like a great rising young team, show a ton of talent; Ayton looks like a beast; Booker gets incrementally even better and looks like (or even is) an All-Star.

and

2) We don't come even close to making the playoffs.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:12 pm
Lebron came to the West, and several good teams got better. I think we'll be extremely unlikely to make the playoffs. But that's okay. It isn't our time yet. The following things can both be true at the same time:

1) The 2018-19 Suns look like a great rising young team, show a ton of talent; Ayton looks like a beast; Booker gets incrementally even better and looks like (or even is) an All-Star.

and

2) We don't come even close to making the playoffs.
I could see 1 and 2, but I think the Suns are going to surprise a lot of people and win more games than the projections have for them. Booker with a gravity player like Ayton, 3 shooters and defenders around him, while also having a competent coach is something we've all been waiting desperately for.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

jonh wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
jonh wrote:

We're not making the playoffs for so many reasons. Our PG sucks. Booker is a one-way player. Our center is a rookie. All our PFs are terrible. We're paying 5 guys $45M (almost half our salary cap) to play the same position SF. Of those 5 guys, two of them are definitely bad 3 point shooters and don't space the floor.

We have 2 #4 picks and a #8 pick who don't really look like NBA players right now.

Next year, we might be able to sign 1 significant free agent. Maybe.

Too many holes, too many young guys who don't look like NBA players. Too many wasted draft picks. Too many bad trades.

Still calling 32 wins.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Wormwood wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:03 am
jonh wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
jonh wrote:

We're not making the playoffs for so many reasons. Our PG sucks. Booker is a one-way player. Our center is a rookie. All our PFs are terrible. We're paying 5 guys $45M (almost half our salary cap) to play the same position SF. Of those 5 guys, two of them are definitely bad 3 point shooters and don't space the floor.

We have 2 #4 picks and a #8 pick who don't really look like NBA players right now.

Too many holes, too many young guys who don't look like NBA players. Too many wasted draft picks. Too many bad trades.

Still calling 32 wins.
Which would still be an 11 game improvement. I think if we got to 35 I'd say they beyond exceeded my expectations.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Wormwood wrote:
jonh wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
jonh wrote:

Still calling 32 wins.
PF situation looking better after the trade.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:24 pm
Wormwood wrote:
jonh wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
jonh wrote:

Still calling 32 wins.
PF situation looking better after the trade.
It appears that even Wormwood likes Holmes.
"Be Legendary."