2018 Suns Offseason News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: 2018 Suns Offseason News

Post by specialsauce »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:12 pm
I heard Greg Moore on a podcast recently and wasn't impressed. He sounded like a typical shill who won't step out of bounds to call it what it is just to save his access to the team. Not to mention he plugged his columns at every half opportunity.
He's really bad.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Maybe this deserves it's own thread, but what do you guys think of the current crop of Suns podcasts. I listen to a few and not every episode, but I'd rank them like this:

1. 7 seconds or less pod: A newer one, but it quickly jumped to the top. Even though neither host is an "insider" their show is entertaining, they give reasonable non-fanboy opinions and it's well produced.
2. Empire of the Suns: I like Kellan and Zimmerman. They both have some access to the team so there's an insider element. Kellan knows his stuff, but sometimes comes across as a little too much of a "know it all."
3. Locked on Suns: They both have access to the team and I like Brandon Kleen. Evan Sidery is a little green, though. He sounds his age. The audio quality is usually pretty poor, too.
4. The Solar Panel: Espo seems like a nice guy and he's passionate, but.... you guys know. His "ball-busting" banter with Dave King is also not nearly as funny as they think it is based on how often they do it and for how long they often drag it on. I usually only listen when the topic or guest seems compelling.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:33 pm

7 seconds or less pod:
Damn liars. Episodes are actually about an hour long.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Cap wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:21 pm
Shabazz wrote:

7 seconds or less pod:
Damn liars. Episodes are actually about an hour long.
This guy is always on

7/10

jonh

Post by jonh »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:15 pm
Based on this, seems like Booker, Ayton, JJ, Quese, Mikal, George King, Okobo, Shaq and Holmes are all working out together in PHX:

https://twitter.com/Suns/status/1035254245874790400

Maybe they flew into town to hear Mikal sing?
Last edited by jonh on Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

7sol; only listed a few times but thought it was good.

Empire of the sun: it’s ok. Can drone on about stats a bit too much

Locked on: I appreciated that they do their pods the most frequently and it really helps get through the offseason. But the hosts are so monotone and crap on about stats non stop it feels like an econometrics lecture. They also tend to agree with each other all the time. It’s much better when they have a guest on.

Solar panel: I like that their is actually some debate on this show. But yes Espo can go off on rants and tangents too much which I don’t think are as entertaining as he thinks they are.

Fanning the flames: a couple of kids running a pod. One does annoying movie quotes as his intro for some reason. It’s much more opinion based which can be somewhat refreshing compared to some other pods. But I generally only listen to it to get me through the offseason.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:12 pm
I heard Greg Moore on a podcast recently and wasn't impressed. He sounded like a typical shill who won't step out of bounds to call it what it is just to save his access to the team. Not to mention he plugged his columns at every half opportunity.
I heard the podcast too, but really enjoyed Greg. He actually sounded like he knew what was going on, unlike the former beat writers.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Welcome Melton and Anderson! Sorry to see you leave, Chriss and Knight.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:55 pm
Welcome Melton and Anderson! Sorry to see you leave, Chriss and Knight.
Woah! Don't like Anderson's contract... But they did take Knight, so that's good. Melton is a fantastic defender... If he can shoot, he's real nice next to Booker. Who starts at PG? Gotta be Booker now, right?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Kinda makes Harrison redundant with Melton coming... Is there another move lined up for a PG? Have we had this one lined up for awhile and just waited till Melton was tradeable?

Is Anderson gonna play? Don't like him defensively, but if Bender struggles to shoot, Anderson can slide into his role.

Cap

Post by Cap »

I don’t get this from Houston’s perspective. Anderson is actually a useful player. Why would anyone want to trade him for junk like Chriss and Knight? Yeah, his contract is nasty, but better to pay $20M to someone who can play than $18M to Chriss and Knight.
Last edited by Cap on Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Harrison, Melton and Okobo are a crew of defensive pgs that hopefully can shoot. Anderson is now the stretch 4 who replaces Chriss and provides veteran leadership with Ariza and Chandler.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Cap wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:07 pm
I don’t get this from Houston’s perspective. Anderson is actually a useful player. Why would anyone want to trade him for junk like Chriss and Knight? Yeah, his contract is nasty, but better to pay $20M to someone who can play than $18M to Chriss and Knight.
Trash for trash (plus a little of potential). Each team thinks what they are getting is better for them than what they send out, of which they are clearly fed up.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

If there is someone that can restore Brandon Knight's confidence and turn him into a NBA player again, that person is Mike D'Antoni.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Maybe this deserves it's own thread, but what do you guys think of the current crop of Suns podcasts. I listen to a few and not every episode, but I'd rank them like this:

1. 7 seconds or less pod: A newer one, but it quickly jumped to the top. Even though neither host is an "insider" their show is entertaining, they give reasonable non-fanboy opinions and it's well produced.
2. Empire of the Suns: I like Kellan and Zimmerman. They both have some access to the team so there's an insider element. Kellan knows his stuff, but sometimes comes across as a little too much of a "know it all."
3. Locked on Suns: They both have access to the team and I like Brandon Kleen. Evan Sidery is a little green, though. He sounds his age. The audio quality is usually pretty poor, too.
4. The Solar Panel: Espo seems like a nice guy and he's passionate, but.... you guys know. His "ball-busting" banter with Dave King is also not nearly as funny as they think it is based on how often they do it and for how long they often drag it on. I usually only listen when the topic or guest seems compelling.
I haven't listened to Locked on Suns, but have the others. I gave up on Solar Panel because I just couldn't take it anymore. But I like 7sol and Empire. I would put them in that order too.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
Anderson was ABUSED in the playoffs, and they stopped playing him. I think Chriss and Knight could look good playing for Mike D.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

SF Warren ($11.5 M), Jackson ($6 M), King (two-way contract)
PF Ariza ($15 M), Anderson ($20.4 M), Holmes ($1.6 M), Arthur ($7.5 M)
C Ayton ($8.2 M), Bender ($4.7 M), Chandler ($13.6 M)
PG Harrison ($1.4 M), Okobo ($1.2 M), Melton (unsigned), Canaan ($1.8 M)
SG Booker ($3.3 M), Bridges ($3.6 M), Daniels ($3.3 M), Reed ($1.3 M)

Arthur, Chandler and Daniels are obvious choices to be used as throw-ins in deals since all three have expiring contracts.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:00 am
Cap wrote:
Anderson was ABUSED in the playoffs, and they stopped playing him. I think Chriss and Knight could look good playing for Mike D.
But Anderson managed to start 50 games last season for the team with the best record in the league. So I can live with any abuse he gets in the playoffs if the Suns qualify this year!
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The Bobster wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:41 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Cap wrote:
But Anderson managed to start 50 games last season for the team with the best record in the league. So I can live with any abuse he gets in the playoffs if the Suns qualify this year!
Agreed. I'm not knocking the trade, just pointing out why Houston would do it.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Cap

Post by Cap »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:04 am
The Bobster wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:41 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Cap wrote:
Agreed. I'm not knocking the trade, just pointing out why Houston would do it.
If MikeD gets quality production out of Chriss and Knight, he gets my vote for COTY.