2018 Suns Offseason News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: 2018 Suns Offseason News

Post by Mori Chu »

The Phoenix Suns have re-signed point guard Isaiah Canaan.

An NBA veteran with five seasons of experience, Canaan played in 19 games with the Suns in 2017-18, averaging 9.1 points and 4.0 assists in 22.0 minutes. He initially signed with the Suns on December 13 and recorded 10 games scoring in double digits with Phoenix, including a season-high 17 points in a win at Dallas on December 18. On January 31, Canaan sustained a fractured left ankle in the first quarter against the Mavericks before undergoing surgery in Phoenix on February 1.
https://www.nba.com/suns/press-release/ ... iah-canaan

Split T

Post by Split T »

Well, does this mean Harrison is being waived? Buyout for Chandler? Can Harrison be moved back to a 2-way deal?

TOO

Post by TOO »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:19 pm

An NBA veteran with five seasons of experience, Canaan played in 19 games with the Suns in 2017-18, averaging 9.1 points and 4.0 assists in 22.0 minutes. He initially signed with the Suns on December 13 and recorded 10 games scoring in double digits with Phoenix, including a season-high 17 points in a win at Dallas on December 18. On January 31, Canaan sustained a fractured left ankle in the first quarter against the Mavericks before undergoing surgery in Phoenix on February 1.
Why?
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Split T wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:31 pm
Well, does this mean Harrison is being waived? Buyout for Chandler? Can Harrison be moved back to a 2-way deal?
Oh dear , a lil puzzled by this move but hey

https://twitter.com/esidery/status/1025490821490135048

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

He was one of our better pg's over the last few seasons, but he was still bad. I would have liked to see more turnover this summer. If we are bringing on a guard who doens't score well, what about Brandon Jennings?
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I just don't see why we have so much loyalty to these mediocre guards who are barely able to crack a last-place NBA roster.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

https://twitter.com/esidery/status/1025500319722205184

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:13 pm
I just don't see why we have so much loyalty to these mediocre guards who are barely able to crack a last-place NBA roster.
Canaan may be mediocore but he is the best point guard we have on the roster. I looked forward to him entering the game last year prior to his injury. He penetrated well and fed the big men. When necessary he was a capable 3 point shooter. He was better than anyone else that played point guard for us last uear. I know that is not saying a lot but I am glad we are giving him a chance to earn a spot.

If he sucks, so be it.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

These moves at the end of the bench (Holmes vs. Williams, Peters or Arthur; Canaan vs. Harrison or Ulis) don't make a lot of difference. I think they liked Canaan a lot last year and would have invited him back this year for camp if he hadn't gotten hurt.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

No reason to be upset by this deal. We're not signing him to be our starting PG. More like we're just giving him a chance to show he's healthy. Might be insurance in case Knight sucks and we don't want to throw Okobo to the wolves right away. If Knight looks good, Canaan probably doesn't make it out of training camp.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Knight. Okobo. Shaq. Canaan. We don’t have a legitimate starting PG or backup, but we have a lot of third stringers.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:34 pm
Knight. Okobo. Shaq. Canaan. We don’t have a legitimate starting PG or backup, but we have a lot of third stringers.
I know most think Knight will suck, but I'll be surprised if Knight isn't at least backup level useful. He's very talented and he seems to have figured out his role on the team. I'm also not worried about Harrison/Okobo/canaan. Whoever gets the backup role won't play much anyways. We won't ask much of them and it won't be hard to outplay whatever we had backing up last year. Canaan and Harrison were our best starting PG's last year.

carey

Post by carey »

I think I was the first to suggest that Knight was going to surprise everyone and have a big time bounce back year this year. I still feel that way & it's purely based on the things I've heard about how Knight has attacked the last year since his injury. I'll be prepared to eat crow if he sucks but something tells me that McDonough would have gone after a PG using most of our assets if he thought Knight couldn't at least be league average. Unless, he thinks that we need more maturation from the young guys and another high pick before we start cashing in assets to push for the playoffs.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:27 pm
I think I was the first to suggest that Knight was going to surprise everyone and have a big time bounce back year this year. I still feel that way & it's purely based on the things I've heard about how Knight has attacked the last year since his injury. I'll be prepared to eat crow if he sucks but something tells me that McDonough would have gone after a PG using most of our assets if he thought Knight couldn't at least be league average. Unless, he thinks that we need more maturation from the young guys and another high pick before we start cashing in assets to push for the playoffs.
I think above all he promised Booker he would surround him with players that will help him out. I thought he's done a good job of improving every position around Book, including the bench. Granted, the pg position was low hanging fruit and allowing Knight to get healthy fulfills that easily.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:00 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

He was one of our better pg's over the last few seasons, but he was still bad. I would have liked to see more turnover this summer. If we are bringing on a guard who doens't score well, what about Brandon Jennings?
Don't worry about turnover(s). We'll see plenty during the season. ;)
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I have zero faith in Knight from his past. He can definitely get hot and take over a game and he can also stink up the place badly missing everything. If he gets hot then he dominates the ball and nobody else gets to touch it. If he stinks up the place he still dominates the ball and we just suck. Either way it’s not the kind of Basketball I like to see.

The new coach seems at first glance to be a huge fan of moving the ball around a lot and I like that a lot. Can Knight be a PG in that system?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Perhaps the ball dominant Knight was more a product of Watson's system. We joke about him as being almost an all star in the East, but he really was. 18/5/4 and shot 40% from 3, plus His assist rate was significantly higher in Milwaukee than in Phoenix. Maybe my expectations are too high, but I think he's going to be a good player for us this year

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

All I can do is hope that that's the case. But I also hoped that Trump would become more presidential once he got into office and it's been worse than I could have possibly imagined. Sorry, wrong board.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I just really need some Suns news. We’re definitely in the dead zone of the offseason. This is the worst time
Of year in sports, all we have is baseball (snoozefest until the playoffs)

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I have no problem with bringing Canaan back. I liked what I saw from him last year. He won't move the needle much, if at all, but he can give you solid play at the point.

I do think Brandon Jennings could be a solid addition. He is probably a better passer than any point guard that is currently on the roster.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.