2018 Suns Offseason News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: 2018 Suns Offseason News

Post by Split T »

https://twitter.com/esidery/status/1039595367015141376

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Melton hasn't been in the workouts because he isn't signed, right?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:26 pm

https://twitter.com/esidery/status/1039595367015141376

Josh Jackson at the 2 sounds gross.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

iLLmatic wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:16 pm
Josh Jackson at the 2 sounds gross.
Depends a lot on the rest of the lineup, but in principle I agree.

Split T

Post by Split T »

It'd be fine with Ariza and Anderson at the 3/4

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:34 am
Can't say I am. Ariza at PF is still an experiment to a degree and because of his defensive deficiencies Anderson shouldn't play more than 15-18 mins (and only at PF, obviously).

We'll see what Kokoskov does, because Jackson is intense but gives up too much size to play PF and Bender is too transparent. In reality, there is no ideal candidate to play at the four, unless Bender really steps up.

Honestly, besides Bender the most interesting proposition at PF to me is TJ Warren.

At least now we don't have to put up with Knight and Chriss' dumb game.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:03 am
Split T wrote:
Can't say I am. Ariza at PF is still an experiment to a degree and because of his defensive deficiencies Anderson shouldn't play more than 15-18 mins (and only at PF, obviously).

We'll see what Kokoskov does, because Jackson is intense but gives up too much size to play PF and Bender is too transparent. In reality, there is no ideal candidate to play at the four, unless Bender really steps up.

Honestly, besides Bender the most interesting proposition at PF to me is TJ Warren.

Well I don't think we're talking about playing Jackson more than 15 minutes at the 2. Say we start (Insert PG here), Jackson, Ariza, Anderson, Ayton. At the 6 minute mark, you shuffle the lineup, moving Jackson either to the bench or to the 3. He can just play the 2 when Anderson plays.

Without Booker, who would you start at the 2? Or better yet, assuming no other changes and no Booker to start the season, what's your starting lineup?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:59 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:03 am
Split T wrote:

Well I don't think we're talking about playing Jackson more than 15 minutes at the 2. Say we start (Insert PG here), Jackson, Ariza, Anderson, Ayton. At the 6 minute mark, you shuffle the lineup, moving Jackson either to the bench or to the 3. He can just play the 2 when Anderson plays.

Without Booker, who would you start at the 2? Or better yet, assuming no other changes and no Booker to start the season, what's your starting lineup?
IC, Bridges, Ariza, Anderson, DA

If DA can play defense the way our staff says he can, you have 4/5 plus defenders on the court, plus 3 good outside shooters and a rim roller. It still is a lineup that you can't get to .500 with long-term, but better than anything we had last year.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Very low on creators though. Canaan is the only ball handler in that lineup. Jackson is obviously not the shooter Bridges is, but he can handle the ball and create some offense.

Also, who are we expecting to get cut? We've got 17 players under contract and can only have 15. Darrell Arthur is the obvious one that we've said we have no plans to keep on the roster. Still, we've got 1 more cut to go. Canaan and Harrison have non guaranteed contracts, but both play at our weakest position.

A trade may still be coming to sort that out, but I'm not so sure that's really in our plans. I think I'd just cut Troy Daniels or see if anyone wants him for a protected 2nd.

Canaan, Harrison, Okobo
Booker, Bridges, Melton
Ariza, Jackson, Reed
Anderson, Warren, Bender
Ayton, Holmes, Chandler

With King and Peters on 2 way deals.

I'd probably have Melton and Okobo take turns on the G league team unless one surprises us by being ready to play now. I also think Reed and Bender could benefit from consistent minutes on the g league team if they don't crack the rotation.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:50 pm
Very low on creators though. Canaan is the only ball handler in that lineup. Jackson is obviously not the shooter Bridges is, but he can handle the ball and create some offense.

Also, who are we expecting to get cut? We've got 17 players under contract and can only have 15. Darrell Arthur is the obvious one that we've said we have no plans to keep on the roster. Still, we've got 1 more cut to go. Canaan and Harrison have non guaranteed contracts, but both play at our weakest position.

A trade may still be coming to sort that out, but I'm not so sure that's really in our plans. I think I'd just cut Troy Daniels or see if anyone wants him for a protected 2nd.

Canaan, Harrison, Okobo
Booker, Bridges, Melton
Ariza, Jackson, Reed
Anderson, Warren, Bender
Ayton, Holmes, Chandler

I'd probably have Melton and Okobo take turns on the G league team unless one surprises us by being ready to play now. I also think Reed and Bender could benefit from consistent minutes on the g league team if they don't crack the rotation.
He does handle the ball, but I would say he isn't very good at it. Despite playing the 3rd most minutes on the team last year, he was 13th in AST% and 15th in Ast/100 possessions. Even though he played 3x as many minutes as Mike James (who most considered a bit of a chucker), they had the same number of total assists. All this with the 4th highest usage on the team.

I am hoping to see him grow in this area because he does have good handles, but his awful shot selection means people don't have to back off him to guard his pass, and that hurts his creation for others.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:

Canaan, Harrison, Okobo
Booker, Bridges, Melton
Ariza, Jackson, Reed
Anderson, Warren, Bender
Ayton, Holmes, Chandler

How much can Bender play in the g-league? Is there a maximum for a 3rd year first round pick?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm going to go:
Okobo/Harrison/Melton
Booker/Daniels/Reed
Ariza/Jackson/Bridges
Anderson/Warren/Bender
Ayton/Chandler/Holmes

Peters is in Moscow and King will be a 2 way or cut.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

That's what I was thinking at at the 2-5. PG is up in the air still. Depending on matchups, I'd also look at Jackson at the 3 and Ariza at the 4 for a bit more athleticism and defense. And maybe Jackson becomes more of a ballhandler/distributor/slasher setting up the shooters which int turn should help him take less bad shots. I think Bridges (and Reed who I also really like) should see most of the minutes at the 2spot.

Holmes could end up being a nice surprise for us.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:58 pm
Split T wrote:

Canaan, Harrison, Okobo
Booker, Bridges, Melton
Ariza, Jackson, Reed
Anderson, Warren, Bender
Ayton, Holmes, Chandler

He does handle the ball, but I would say he isn't very good at it. Despite playing the 3rd most minutes on the team last year, he was 13th in AST% and 15th in Ast/100 possessions. Even though he played 3x as many minutes as Mike James (who most considered a bit of a chucker), they had the same number of total assists. All this with the 4th highest usage on the team.

I am hoping to see him grow in this area because he does have good handles, but his awful shot selection means people don't have to back off him to guard his pass, and that hurts his creation for others.
I won't disagree, but Jackson is capable of getting into the paint off the dribble. That can't be said of Bridges, Ariza, or Anderson. Jackson has a lot of work to do once he gets into the paint, but he can get there and that's the first step.

I think a Canaan/Bridges/Ariza/Anderson/Ayton lineup would be almost strictly 3 shooters around a 1/5 pick n roll. It could work, but fairly predictable. And Canaan/Ayton aren't Nash/Amare.

I guess we could use this lineup to feature Ayton in the post with lots of off ball action for all the shooters. That's putting a lot on Ayton as a rookie. Hopefully Booker is back soon.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:05 pm
I'm going to go:
Okobo/Harrison/Melton
Booker/Daniels/Reed
Ariza/Jackson/Bridges
Anderson/Warren/Bender
Ayton/Chandler/Holmes

You think Okobo will be ready enough to cut Canaan loose?

Didn't know Peters was gone..I guess we have another 2 way deal to hand out.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:59 pm
Split T wrote:

Canaan, Harrison, Okobo
Booker, Bridges, Melton
Ariza, Jackson, Reed
Anderson, Warren, Bender
Ayton, Holmes, Chandler

How much can Bender play in the g-league? Is there a maximum for a 3rd year first round pick?
That I'm not sure. For the record, I don't expect him to play there. Most likely he sits on the bench and gets garbage minutes.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:15 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:58 pm
Split T wrote:

Canaan, Harrison, Okobo
Booker, Bridges, Melton
Ariza, Jackson, Reed
Anderson, Warren, Bender
Ayton, Holmes, Chandler

I won't disagree, but Jackson is capable of getting into the paint off the dribble. That can't be said of Bridges, Ariza, or Anderson. Jackson has a lot of work to do once he gets into the paint, but he can get there and that's the first step.

I think a Canaan/Bridges/Ariza/Anderson/Ayton lineup would be almost strictly 3 shooters around a 1/5 pick n roll. It could work, but fairly predictable. And Canaan/Ayton aren't Nash/Amare.

I guess we could use this lineup to feature Ayton in the post with lots of off ball action for all the shooters. That's putting a lot on Ayton as a rookie. Hopefully Booker is back soon.
Agreed, and that is why I said it is not like this would be a team better than average. But we suck, and it seemed like the best lineup to start a game without Booker. I think we could let JJ and Warren be the primary options for the 2nd unit, and I think they both would be effective there.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:19 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:05 pm
I'm going to go:
Okobo/Harrison/Melton
Booker/Daniels/Reed
Ariza/Jackson/Bridges
Anderson/Warren/Bender
Ayton/Chandler/Holmes

You think Okobo will be ready enough to cut Canaan loose?

Didn't know Peters was gone..I guess we have another 2 way deal to hand out.
I've heard he's been killing it in informal workouts. I could be wrong about the depth chart though.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya McD said he's been impressive. I still think we'll probably see him in a bench role. Think Canaan or Harrison get the starting spot.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

The guy I keep forgetting is still here is Daniels
Would love to know what's going on with him because almost all you guys leave him out of lineups too lol
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)