2018 Suns Offseason News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SDC

Re: 2018 Suns Offseason News

Post by SDC »

ryan mcdonough

[youtube][/youtube]

SDC

Post by SDC »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:56 pm
SDC wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:18 pm
josh jackson and the suns first round pick for lonzo
https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechec ... de/7119414
Are you trying to trigger people?

Btw, I would certainly think about this trade, although I think Jackson would be better with Lonzo.
i'm a lonzo ball believer, and the lakers will not do this trade without getting jackson back. jj and lonzo together will be bad for spacing.

OTOH, mikal/ayton and lonzo is perfect.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Lakers aren't trading Lonzo Ball for anyone on the Suns not named Booker or Ayton.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:25 pm
ShelC wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:34 pm
I'd like for us to give Holmes a legit shot. Sauce is nice but Holmes can really play above the rim, hit the 3, bring some energy and bounce off the bench.

With Bender, those quotes sound like frustration even from a new coach like Igor. You see the size and skillset, but he's just invisible out there. He doesn't seem to make any real impact. He came in with a rep for perimeter defense as a 7footer so where's that gone? Guarding 4s shouldn't be a problem honestly. Even 5s are smaller so he should match up well there too.

Holmes can hit the 3?
When he broke out with Philly in 16-17 he was knocking them down at a decent rate later in the year when he was getting consistent PT. Shot about 35% over the last 5-6 weeks of the season.

Going back the PG talk, it really sucks not having Booker out there because we can't gauge just how much we need a vet PG. We obviously need some help, but if Booker were out there he'd at least be another ballhandler and scoring threat to take the pressure off the younger guys. Aside from Anderson, TJ and Ariza, we're pretty much running our Summer League team out there.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
SDC wrote:

Btw, I would certainly think about this trade, although I think Jackson would be better with Lonzo.
You have to ask that question?

jonh

Post by jonh »

SDC wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:14 pm
ryan mcdonough

[youtube][/youtube]
If you start around the 42:20 mark of the video, Ryan and Mitch discuss the Suns. Really interesting to hear other GMs talking about it. Its also nice to hear him talking about the effects of losing so much.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I really don't have any interest in hearing what McD has to say. Dude is so lost it's unreal.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

In2ition wrote:
SDC wrote:

Hard pass. If nothing else, to keep that circus of a family away from our organization. We don't need distractions.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

One of my favorites...The SI Scouts Analysis of NBA Teams. This was obviously written before McD was canned but still pretty spot on IMO. Highlighted some of what I thought were key points:

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/10/10/nba-s ... ium=social
PHOENIX SUNS
The Suns made some win-now moves with Trevor Ariza, Ryan Anderson and Tyson Chandler, but it’s no guarantee they won’t wind up tanking again. I can absolutely see them trading the guys they just signed. I think the vets have value at the trade deadline. You don’t want to have an older team where there are no young guys to push the veterans.  . . . The hole is the point guard position. I know they love Elie Okobo, so I guess they’re going to try to make it work with him unless they swing a trade. They might try to use Devin Booker like James Harden as a point guard because they couldn’t find a bona fide point guard over the summer. Ariza and Anderson both played with Harden and maybe they envision Booker being able to mimic that. . . . Asking Booker to make pinpoint passes is asking a lot. He can score with the best of them, but taking that jump into being a playmaker versus a shot-maker is totally different. They could use a Patrick Beverley type alongside Booker. A defensive-type who won’t take Booker’s shots, but can bring the ball up and guard the best player on the other team . . . They drafted the wrong guy at No. 1. I would have gone with Luka Dončić. I think there will be a lot of second-guessing on that decision all year. As much as people talk about the modern NBA, some teams are still drafting big guys. It’s really weird. . . . Teams will try to confuse DeAndre Ayton and force him into turnovers. It all comes down to space. He will roll to the rim and be a lob threat. He’s going to get smaller guys on switches and try to prove he can punish them. The next step will be whether he can make moves and score in the post on big guys. I think he’s the type of guy who will command double teams not because he’s scoring but because he’s turnover-prone. . . . Their track record in drafting over the last five or six years has been rough. Alex Len. Dragan Bender. Marquese Chriss. Could Josh Jackson be headed towards that? He’s still young, still raw enough, you can see flashes. But now he’s coming off the bench. What does he bring to the table? He’s not an offensive guy. . . . I don’t see it with Bender at all. It looks like he’s headed on the path to being a bust. Does he do anything? What’s he good at? . . . Ariza has slipped a little bit but you can still trust him in big moments. Houston was counting on him for certain roles and match-ups. Phoenix won’t have that luxury. They’ll need him for more. That could be a challenge, because you can’t ask him to bump up as a scorer and still be the same defensive player. He’s not a guy who will create for others, but he will run the floor, space the court and defend at an elite level. . . . Mikal Bridges has a lot of fans around the league. They gave up a future one for him so you know they will give him an opportunity to play. He might not have the high ceiling but the consensus is that he’s going to be a plug-and-play solid wing. . . . 

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

They drafted the wrong guy at No. 1. I would have gone with Luka Dončić. I think there will be a lot of second-guessing on that decision all year. As much as people talk about the modern NBA, some teams are still drafting big guys. It’s really weird. . . . Teams will try to confuse DeAndre Ayton and force him into turnovers. It all comes down to space. He will roll to the rim and be a lob threat. He’s going to get smaller guys on switches and try to prove he can punish them. The next step will be whether he can make moves and score in the post on big guys. I think he’s the type of guy who will command double teams not because he’s scoring but because he’s turnover-pron
Written before summer league, I think. It's hard to keep that take if you've seen him against Nurkic.

Sure, DeAndre will make rookie mistakes, but he's a good passer and is not turnover prone.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Nurk was a great test for him. I wish we gave him legit touches in the post, maybe 5 each half. Seems like he's more in a high post entry role right now.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:46 am
Nurk was a great test for him. I wish we gave him legit touches in the post, maybe 5 each half. Seems like he's more in a high post entry role right now.
Man, I can't wait until we face Embiid and the Sixers. Should be a lot of fun. Either way, it will be a nice test for our big guy and to gauge where he's at. Can't expect him to win that battle the first time but who knows?
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:52 am
ShelC wrote:
Man, I can't wait until we face Embiid and the Sixers. Should be a lot of fun. Either way, it will be a nice test for our big guy and to gauge where he's at. Can't expect him to win that battle the first time but who knows?
I will be back in PHX for new years, and got tickets to that game.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:
Yep. We haven't really tried running the offense through him yet, even for short stretches.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:10 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:52 am
ShelC wrote:
I will be back in PHX for new years, and got tickets to that game.
Very cool!
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Ayton named as someone who got paid as an amateur during corruption trial:

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... j-gassnola

I have a hard time caring.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:36 pm

I feel so sorry for the NCAA.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Suns apply for disable player exception for D Arthur. If they get it then . . .

Here are the restrictions on the player (only one) they can sign with the exception.
No more than 3.73 Million.
Player has to be in the final year of hiscontract.
Can be a waived player, can pick up the last year off of waivers or wait until they clear waivers and sign as free agent.
Free agent player

So trade targets would be few:

Rookies on a rookie deal would not be eligible unless their team fails to pick up their option (like Len and Okafor last year). Here are the ones I can find that meet the criteria. The Suns could trade for these players without the other team having to take back ANY salary (maybe just picks).

TJ McConnell.
Raymond Felton
Isaiah Thomas (when trade eligible)
Malcolm Brogdon
Spencer Dinwiddie
Elfrid Payton (when he is elibigle to be traded)
Devin Harris
Jose Berea
Frank Mason

If players clear waivers, any one of them is fair game. My guess is that they are preparing for players who might get cut.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:36 pm

Just drop the 'amateur, love for the game' crap. If the NCAA makes money from these athletes, they are entitled to a share. Maybe if there was monetary reward to play in college, kids would stay longer and get that proverbial polish to their game...

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

James Jones just spoke to the media. Did anyone watch? I only saw the last question.